2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Maybe that's part of it.

I have zero faith in Stokes. Nixon is a bottom third slot. Jaire is a little bit glass. Valentine could be a player.

Just feels like it could be a liability.

Or it could be a really good room.

Tough read right now 

I am high on optimism this offseason.  Whether or not that is correct is to be determined.  

I think that Valentine is an ascending player.  And if Stokes has come in healthy, and is above him in the pecking order, that is only good.  I also think that Jaire had some kind of wake up call after his suspension last season, because he has been good ever since.  While I think we paid a little too much for Nixon, we are paying for some return man stuff, and he offers a physicality that the other corners on the roster lack.  I am also pretty high on Ballentine, Rochell and King.  I think there is a role of all three of them, should they be on the roster.

12 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Per JSO

Packers first-round pick Jordan Morgan is taking part in team offensive line drills.However, he’s not the starter. Sean Rhyan is.Morgan is on the other side of the field working with the No. 2s and 3s.

Rookie Jacob Monk is sharing the first-team snaps with Rhyan at right guard.

At this point, Morgan may not even get any preseason action. I doubt he's your starter Week 1 due to the injury setback. It will likely be Rhyan at RG versus Philly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Soo all the better kickers will be on a roster and the available ones are comparable to Ders. Got it, Ders is the kicker at least to start the year.

Yep, that's how it looks to me.

59 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Soo all the better kickers will be on a roster and the available ones are comparable to Ders. Got it, Ders is the kicker at least to start the year.

I was wondering when people would start to get it.

20 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Three things:

1. The overreaction to the Broncos playing a tier above us all game is annoying. QB2 and QB3 are fine.

2. Just waiting for a major injury. Trying to ward it off with this post.

3. Headed toward a bottom 5 ST this season.

20 hours ago, Old Guy said:

There is nothing fine about QB2 and QB3. Neither should be on a NFL during a game that matters. I can give Pratt a pass because he’s a rookie. Need an upgrade at back up QB.

QB2/QB3 is just fine, if you are a young club trying to take the first step to relevancy.

GB almost won, and maybe should have won against San Fran, while on the road in round 2 of the playoffs.

So @Old Guy has a point.  If we really are in an open "window", we should try to find a better backup QB who can actually finish games and win a game or two if an injury happens.

I don't see it on the roster right now.  I'd have zero issue with GB getting Flacco out of retirement, Tannehill or Heinicke or anyone else like that who could come in and win games.  Contract has to be reasonable, though.  Contract would be my only concern.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

We did the same to the browns?

I think its a decent sink or swim test. We had a few guys sink.

Wooden/waege cant hold a double team so we got run over a bit.

Tyler davis cant actually play nfl football.

Mental mistakes happened.

We found out that Ford took a step towards playable.

Wooden and brooks can pass rush.

Our reserve DEs can you something if they get pressed into action. 

The safety room is 5 deep as Dapo doesnt look out of place when youre playing him closer to the LoS.

There were positives to take out of the game, just not the reps Tyler davis was a focal point of the run scheme.

I agree with you...but I'll list a few positives that I saw.

Caleb Jones could very well be an NFL tackle.

Hopper looks like he could have a future at ILB, he's a hitter, for sure.

Welch looked like a competent backup at ILB.

Cox is making the team as EDGE 4 or 5.  Depends on where you put Enagbare.  And that kid looked pretty rusty coming back from the injury.  

Dillard looks to have rebounded from a horrific start to camp.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Maybe that's part of it.

I have zero faith in Stokes. Nixon is a bottom third slot. Jaire is a little bit glass. Valentine could be a player.

Just feels like it could be a liability.

Or it could be a really good room.

Tough read right now 

Your post seems really pessimistic to me, but believe me, I DO VERY MUCH GET WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM.

I'll say this...I had zero faith in Stokes.  But after camp reports?  Seems like he could be back to form.  And if not, Valentine was serviceable last year and a little bigger this year.  Love that kids swagger.

JA is like glass.  But now he's got a new DC, I expect he will ball out.

Agree on Nixon, but wasn't last year his first year really getting real reps on defense?  For a first year starter, I thought he was okay.  And I very much feel like Bullard is going to push him for that spot.

So yeah, could be really good, could be meh.

I would be very pessimistic if we didn't have Bullard to cover up a wart or two at corner, if needed.  I'd be pounding the table for a veteran FA corner.

But he's the reason I feel better about the year.  Well, him and the ever smooth Evan Williams.  Digging those three additions to our secondary right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Cade York is somewhat interesting .. former 4th round pick in 2022, but struggled some in his rookies season and then bounced around last year.  I guess we have to stick with Devil we know in Anders Carlson.  Hopefully he hits his stride and thrives.  I'd say it's 90 percent he's are opening night kicker.

Assuming he does win this camp K competition, Carlson will be given a chance to sink or swim before Gute makes a move to replace him in the season.  I don't see any clearly better options, so no reason not to.  Carlson finding his mojo would be the best case all around.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Assuming he does win this camp K competition, Carlson will be given a chance to sink or swim before Gute makes a move to replace him in the season.  I don't see any clearly better options, so no reason not to.  Carlson finding his mojo would be the best case all around.

Young Qb's miss reads and throws.

Young Wr's drop passes and run wrong routes.

Young OL miss assignments and blocks.

But since they have so many opportunities, we stick with them.

A young kicker misses some, and the need to replace them is at a feverish level.  It's just a different kind of position than all others.

I'm all for giving Carlson another year.  But the kid really needs to improve.  I hope he's taking the left hash mark out for a nice seafood dinner every weekend.  God knows, they hated each other last year!

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with you...but I'll list a few positives that I saw.

Caleb Jones could very well be an NFL tackle.

Hopper looks like he could have a future at ILB, he's a hitter, for sure.

Welch looked like a competent backup at ILB.

Cox is making the team as EDGE 4 or 5.  Depends on where you put Enagbare.  And that kid looked pretty rusty coming back from the injury.  

Dillard looks to have rebounded from a horrific start to camp.

Enagbare is running as edge 3 right now. Think the staffs seeing that one different. And i just dont rate Cox very high but he definitely could make the team the staff has given him every chance they can.

Hopper for sure not gonna rule out but for the love of god dont have him in space.

Eh i dont see it for Jones theres no lateral ability, we do like duos but thats only so much of the game.

I think Ralen was giving welch a pretty serious run for his money imo but i keep 5 safeties and 6 CB over both.

Not saying youre wrong. Just what i see.

Edited by HighCalebR