Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

30 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I didn’t follow much college football, but knew of Estime and then he ran the slow 40.  

He’s certainly not a burner, but I also never thought, ‘eek, he’s slow’ when I saw him. He’s a Chris Carson clone.

34 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Any of my fellow oldies out there see a lot of Ashley Lelie in Troy Franklin? I was surprised to see that he was top 3 in yards-per-route among all receivers given the offence he was in. Payton talked a lot on Thursday night about removing Nix’s gimmick throws when evaluating, focusing on his looks at route tree stuff. That proof is in the pudding now because Franklin wasn’t Nix’s gimmick guy, he was the one running go’s and deep outs. 

Pretty exciting times. Our offence probably won’t be good this season, but at least it’ll be fresh? And young.

I like the Franklin pick.  But I am interested in seeing how they use Mims now.  Franklin in the current NFL is a take the top off of the defense only type of player.  You have to account for those guys, but that’s all the Xavier Worthy pick for the Chiefs is, We got better value. 

Edited by germ-x

16 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I like the Franklin pick.  But I am interested in seeing how they use Mims now.  Franklin in the current NFL is a take the top off of the defense only type of player.  You got to account for those guys, but that’s all the Xavier Worthy pick for the Chiefs is, We got better value. 

I remember Mims’s numbers in the short passing game in college were absurd. I wonder if he’s the bubble screen, end-around, drag route guy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I remember Mims’s numbers in the short passing game in college were absurd. I wonder if he’s the bubble screen, end-around, drag route guy. 

That would give Denver a good mix.  Franklin from the little I have seen and read isn’t that type of player.  He’s an outside the hashes type of player.  I was listening to a podcast with Steve Smith and Lance Zerlien and both had him rated highly but said he doesn’t like contact. 

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Was disappointed we only got TE's as UDFA's, thought that really was a weak spot we needed to address. Maybe Dulcich is on the mend.

There were a number of TEs I liked a lot, but the way the board fell, it just didn’t work. We didn’t have the most draft capital with which to work and, after we reached for an above average QB, I’m sorry, the next Patrick Mahomes, in the first, a few needs were going to go unfulfilled. Had we had the chance to trade down, might have been different.

We got our QB, and love him or hate him or be in the middle like me, he is our QB for at least the next 3 years, we got an EDGE with upside, a WR with whom our QB had chemistry and some value picks who were productive, experienced players at upper echelon programs; hell even the 7th round center we drafted spent a few years at Yale - Yale! - before going to the SEC at South Carolina and showing well. 

Did we have a great draft? No. Did we have a bad draft? Hell no. Given what we had to work with, including the overarching need to reach for, I mean, draft, a QB, I think we did just fine. This draft was meant to be a step in the right direction and we got a few guys I think can contribute and develop over the long haul. We’re going to be picking in the top-10ish again next year any way so this was a step in the right direction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think handed is the right term. Maybe the favorite but one of he, Wattenburg and Mustipher will be the guy.

I mean taking him last year a then reaching for, I mean, drafting Nix, and then drafting Franklin it seems Sean is going all-in on Oregon so it’s more likely than not Forsyth starts. 

Quick recap. Entered the weekend with 8 picks, worth 1576 points on the classic Jimmy Johnson trade chart. Finished with 7 picks worth 1570, which means that the trade up cost us approximately the equivalent of that late 6th rounder. Now let’s take the value of the players we picked based on their consensus board rankings (because the consensus board consistently produces better results than any other method of evaluation) and weigh that against our original pick value.

1. Bo Nix (ranked 38th): 520 points

2. Jonah Elliss (79th): 195 points

3. Troy Franklin (39th): 510 points

4. Kris Abrams-Draine (90th): 140 points

5. Audric Estime (119th): 56 points

6. Devaughn Vele (299th): 0 points

7. Nick Gargiulo (288th): 0 points 

For a total of 1421 points. Came up 150 points short of cashing in the full potential of our picks, which ain’t too shabby considering how much the board hated the Nix pick (-680 points vs draft position, the equivalent of the 27th overall pick in lost value). And again, the QB thing is just different, right? We can all agree on that? Picking a tackle or a corner ranked 38th at 12th overall is incomparable for two reasons: 1) they’re not as scheme specific as a QB, so a worse fit but better overall prospect will do the job in a more functional way than square-pegging a round hole at QB, and 2) the lack of an above average tackle or corner won’t nuke your entire roster the way lacking an above average QB will.

It’s still a reach. Don’t take that as me saying it wasn’t a reach. But it’s an understandable reach, and not as punitive in context as it is on paper. 

All in all, good weekend. The JFM trade is the cherry on top. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It’s still a reach. Don’t take that as me saying it wasn’t a reach. But it’s an understandable reach, and not as punitive in context as it is on paper. 

IDK how much of a true reach it was I mean Payton rattled off his impressive numbers and he one of the most pro ready qbs I've seen go outside the top 10 in I don't know how long it's been a long time.

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Was disappointed we only got TE's as UDFA's, thought that really was a weak spot we needed to address. Maybe Dulcich is on the mend.

Or maybe Lucas Krull. He did come from NO so they're familiar with him.

36 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

We’re still devoid of linemen and linebackers. Not seeing how we are competing without addressing these holes. How many games was it last year we gave up over 170 yards rushing…

I know. This crappy FO doesn't seem to believe in winning up front. They only thing they did for the OL and DL this weekend was taking a seventh-round C and trading for a DE that is better in a 4-3 (what is their obsession with 4-3 DE's? I thought the Broncos played a 3-4).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There were a number of TEs I liked a lot, but the way the board fell, it just didn’t work. We didn’t have the most draft capital with which to work and, after we reached for an above average QB, I’m sorry, the next Patrick Mahomes, in the first, a few needs were going to go unfulfilled. Had we had the chance to trade down, might have been different.

So agree with the bold AAA.  Fn Atlanta really messed things up.  If we could have traded down to get NIX we could have added a player or two and maybe some good ones.  I am kind of stunned though with regard to the serious praise Nix has received from the media.  I saw MJD rant on about him twice.  Bucky Brooks did the same as did Schraeger.  They were implying he may have a real good chance at doing really really good.  Again the season of hope brings just that and man those guys were being sincere so I hope it plays out like that.  Overall not a bad draft.

• Like 1

We really don’t have anyone who can cover Kelce/Bowers unless you move Surtain on them… and that’s been the case for a while. One of these drafts we need to find a neutralizer but this really wasn’t the class that had one imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

We really don’t have anyone who can cover Kelce/Bowers unless you move Surtain on them… and that’s been the case for a while. One of these drafts we need to find a neutralizer but this really wasn’t the class that had one imo. 

I still have hope for skinner long term.

• Like 1