2024 NFL Draft Round 1 Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

45 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I am down on all the QBs in this draft, but the pettiness is comical at this point. The man just won the heisman trophy. Threw for 3812 yards, 40 TDs and only 4 INTs... Claiming that he can't throw a receiver open or into a tight window or a jump ball is just ridiculous, IMO.

I didn’t say he “can’t,” I said he doesn’t like to. And I didn’t say he “has to” see it come open, I said he “wants to.” So you can put those particular strawmen away.

These are tendencies. No prospect is black-and-white “always does X” or “never does Y.” From time to time, Jayden will stick a ball in to a closely covered receiver or throw some sort of back-shoulder jump ball. 

But that’s not who he is. It’s not how he plays. You won’t find that in the stat line you just cited, but it becomes clear when you’ve watched him play for dozens and dozens of hours on loop.

Let’s try and make it simple. Go through Jayden’s whole college career and show me any guy he had success throwing to that reminds you of big, strong, slow, jump-ball guy Keon Coleman. Probably Jaray Jenkins (400 yards in 2022)? And the best example is actually Johnny Wilson, who had two rather unproductive seasons with Daniels before he eventually was utilized much more effectively by your boy Jordan Travis. 

The guys he’s always had by far the most success with are separation machines and vertical targets like Brandon Aiyuk, Frank Darby, Ricky Pearsall, Malik Nabers, Brian Thomas, Kyren Lacy. He likes to throw to guys who create space, whether vertically or horizontally.

Giving him a close quarters combat guy like Coleman just doesn’t fit with his playing style. It doesn’t have to be a little guy — as I’ve said before (many times now), someone like AD Mitchell or Troy Franklin would be a tall receiver who can still do the things that work best with Jayden. I think guys like McConkey, Jalen McMillan, and Jermaine Burton have some size (more than Roman Wilson, certainly) and would also mesh well with Jayden, because they are high-end separators.

Receivers like Coleman and J. Wilson and Ja’Lynn Polk and Brendan Rice are fine players, and if we’d drafted someone like Maye or McCarthy or Penix, I would have been very on-board with a big, physical receiver like that. Those QBs take more chances, in large part because they have a little more arm to stick the ball into tighter windows (and also because they’re not as precise at the moment). No coincidence that they also all utilize TEs far more than Jayden ever has.

Those big, physical receivers just don’t fit as well with this particular QB. I don’t know that you have to get mad and call me “ridiculous” or “petty” for suggesting he’s better at some things than he is at others, or that he has a particular playing style that doesn’t fit well with some guy you think they should draft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t know that you have to get mad and call me “ridiculous” or “petty” for suggesting he’s better at some things than he is at others, or that he has a particular playing style that doesn’t fit well with some guy you think they should draft.

Apologies. I was reading more into your wording as inability rather than tendencies.

I also think, as is any situation, you become a product of the system that you are in. I think in the NFL you adapt or get weeded out. If you can't throw a back corner fade in the red zone, you won't see succeed. If you can't quickly move from read to read and react, you won't succeed.

I am not sold on Jayden Daniels the passer, but Jayden Daniels the athlete, the playmaker is pretty good. Those traits are things that helped Russell Wilson win a SB when DQ was in Seattle. I think it's about how they approach the offensive scheme. Becoming a run-first team will open up the passing game. IMO the team would be doing him a disservice to ask him to drop back 40 times a game. Design some safe QB runs, run some option plays, but mostly rely on Robinson and Ekeler to carry the weight his rookie season. 

I apologize because I did come off abrasive and that is not my intention. 

You kind of killed my Keon Coleman dream e16bball lol .Love the in depth analysis .You are one of the guys that keeps me here just to read your thoughts on the team and organization.I wanted Maye(I wont lie)but am excited as well for what the offense will look like compared to seasons past.Cant wait for day 2 lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I didn’t say he “can’t,” I said he doesn’t like to. And I didn’t say he “has to” see it come open, I said he “wants to.” So you can put those particular strawmen away.

These are tendencies. No prospect is black-and-white “always does X” or “never does Y.” From time to time, Jayden will stick a ball in to a closely covered receiver or throw some sort of back-shoulder jump ball. 

But that’s not who he is. It’s not how he plays. You won’t find that in the stat line you just cited, but it becomes clear when you’ve watched him play for dozens and dozens of hours on loop.

Let’s try and make it simple. Go through Jayden’s whole college career and show me any guy he had success throwing to that reminds you of big, strong, slow, jump-ball guy Keon Coleman. Probably Jaray Jenkins (400 yards in 2022)? And the best example is actually Johnny Wilson, who had two rather unproductive seasons with Daniels before he eventually was utilized much more effectively by your boy Jordan Travis. 

The guys he’s always had by far the most success with are separation machines and vertical targets like Brandon Aiyuk, Frank Darby, Ricky Pearsall, Malik Nabers, Brian Thomas, Kyren Lacy. He likes to throw to guys who create space, whether vertically or horizontally.

Giving him a close quarters combat guy like Coleman just doesn’t fit with his playing style. It doesn’t have to be a little guy — as I’ve said before (many times now), someone like AD Mitchell or Troy Franklin would be a tall receiver who can still do the things that work best with Jayden. I think guys like McConkey, Jalen McMillan, and Jermaine Burton have some size (more than Roman Wilson, certainly) and would also mesh well with Jayden, because they are high-end separators.

Receivers like Coleman and J. Wilson and Ja’Lynn Polk and Brendan Rice are fine players, and if we’d drafted someone like Maye or McCarthy or Penix, I would have been very on-board with a big, physical receiver like that. Those QBs take more chances, in large part because they have a little more arm to stick the ball into tighter windows (and also because they’re not as precise at the moment). No coincidence that they also all utilize TEs far more than Jayden ever has.

Those big, physical receivers just don’t fit as well with this particular QB. I don’t know that you have to get mad and call me “ridiculous” or “petty” for suggesting he’s better at some things than he is at others, or that he has a particular playing style that doesn’t fit well with some guy you think they should draft.

The issue I have is if Daniels can only succeed in a world like LSU where his receivers are two steps up in talent compared to the defenders and have massive separation he will fail.  Once you get to january football you are competing against fairly even competition.  He is going 

I think the other question is does Keon fit a Kingsbury offense?  I am not sure Daniels does.  I don't recall the kingsbury offense being all about vertical targets.

One can’t totally help but wonder if 36 (or 40) would be enough to pull Brandon Aiyuk.

We’re one of a handful of teams that could easily absorb a big new contract for him, and there’s definitely some appeal in the idea of reuniting him with Daniels. He’s an excellent player, and the receiving corps would look borderline elite with him added to Terry and Dotson. 

With them taking Pearsall, it feels more and more like something’s gotta give in their WR room.

• Like 1

Wow what a draft- take it from an old fart like me- really historic. You young bucks will remember this one for a long time- record breaking QB’s, defense? Nah AI said it with practice/ it’s all about getting the O- it’s  always been my motto too, :)

now to the redskins- I don’t hate the pick but it’s a continuation of the curse- just think how we’d feel now we let Snyder suck a little better, lol. We’d have John Elway 2.0 instead of  Splinter aka Rg4  my new nickname for the newest qb. Watching the interviews, of course already watched all the tape - Splinter has a top 5 college OL, the top receiving corp- number 1 in nation in talent so his numbers are off the chart, I don’t think he’s a bust, but he’s what we’d call back in the day- shrimpdxxk going up  a big salami who is now quarterbacking the bears. And in a few years number 3 will be an awesome qb for pats. So I’m disappointed for the Redskins and our fans. I’m not going to trash the GM- he is paying the penance we still owe from Snyder and the disastrous name change, but we are going to be heart broken and back in the top 3 in 2027 after Marriotta is our qb for two years and we are all still around.

also wtf with Atlanta? Ultimate game managers Kc signs a mvp i deal and now they pick a qb in round 1? Listen bros I understand the concept of when you  have one, having two seems like it will at  least be twice as good especially if they play together, but I just don’t see this ever working in the ATL. Strangest first round pick I can ever remember 

Lastly what kind of blackmail do the chiefs have on the bills to make them be such a *****? No way anybody who is a fan of the bills understands what happened tonight. Is this the WWE wrestling now? 

ok, btw, hit my prop bet on the first 5 picks and going to enjoy my winnings Atlanta style, but with Sky, Sierra and Trixie,  not Kirk Cousins and Penix :)) not that there is anything wrong with that if that’s your cup of tea, but I’m a scotch and in particular a Macallan man. 

Doc out! 

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 3

Well, like I said before, fellas.

This is an EXCELLENT opportunity to find out just how good Peters is as a GM. 

1. Had the #2 pick and his pick of any QB not named Caleb Williams in the draft.
  2. 6 picks in the first 100 picks in this draft (including 3 in the top 40).
  3. Had over $80M in cap space.
  4. New HC (that he had a hand in selecting).

He wasn't hamstrung by lack of picks or cap space.

So let's see if his talent evaluation/acquisition is correct when we look back in 2-3 years

• Like 5

Also, my wife was weirdly into watching the draft with me last night (she started paying attention somewhere around pick 12 or 13) when she has never much cared about it before. Asking questions about why a team would trade down, etc... 

I explained it all. And explained that this was only the 1st round and she intuitively stated that tonight's start of the 2nd round could be full of trades as "everyone has had a night to think about things" (I didn't just marry her for her looks, fellas).

So with that in mind, if some team came calling with a 2025 1st rounder (or multiple 2nd rounders) for pick #36 (*), do you take it? I think we might be in an excellent position to extend our # of picks to more than just this year.

(*) obviously some other pick swaps would have to happen and I haven't looked at the Trade chart yet to get an exact compensation

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

One can’t totally help but wonder if 36 (or 40) would be enough to pull Brandon Aiyuk.

We’re one of a handful of teams that could easily absorb a big new contract for him, and there’s definitely some appeal in the idea of reuniting him with Daniels. He’s an excellent player, and the receiving corps would look borderline elite with him added to Terry and Dotson. 

With them taking Pearsall, it feels more and more like something’s gotta give in their WR room.

Apparently he texted Kyle after the Pearsall pick and said “fire pick” or something like that.  Would be weird to send him packing but better to get something for him now I guess.  

If we got an OT and Aiyuk and Daniels with our top 3 picks, I think that’s a good one.  Also, someone who excels at creating separation like Aiyuk would be big.  

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Also, my wife was weirdly into watching the draft with me last night (she started paying attention somewhere around pick 12 or 13) when she has never much cared about it before. Asking questions about why a team would trade down, etc... 

I explained it all. And explained that this was only the 1st round and she intuitively stated that tonight's start of the 2nd round could be full of trades as "everyone has had a night to think about things" (I didn't just marry her for her looks, fellas).

So with that in mind, if some team came calling with a 2025 1st rounder (or multiple 2nd rounders) for pick #36 (*), do you take it? I think we might be in an excellent position to extend our # of picks to more than just this year.

(*) obviously some other pick swaps would have to happen and I haven't looked at the Trade chart yet to get an exact compensation

I honestly think that this team is going to use most of their picks this year.  I know that there is a lot to be said for acquiring more future assets, and you MIGHT luck into a Bears situation where the pick you traded for just happens to end up being 1.1, but that is extremely rare.  

That said, we have enough picks this year to load up 20% of our gameday roster.  Six of those picks are in the first 100, and those are players that you would like to have starting, or at the very least contributing, early on in the season.  We signed enough players to 1-2 year deals to help establish a new culture.  I think they intend on making just about all of those draft picks.  

Could we see some maneuvering and recouping later picks?  Probably.  But I don’t see them moving off the earlier ones.  

• Like 1