The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

21 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Anyone who says he doesn’t block very well simply hasn’t been watching him play. As a rookie he was one of the best blocking TEs in the league imho (though like any rookie he did whiff now and again) and he’s only going to get better as he has the attitude. Excited about Mayer and Bowers!

I thought Mayers' blocking was fine all things considered. 

He was a rookie on a team with a broken offense and porous OL with extremely limited QB play. Not a great spot to be, imo. The first half of the year, my guess is JMD was more focused on getting bulk stats to try and look better, so blocking likely wasn't worked on much. The latter half, Mayer is playing catch up. 

It's really hard, especially in hindsight, to look at many people on our offense and make reasonable evaluations on some aspects of their game given the dysfunction that was. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2024 at 12:39 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Gotta give the Pats some credit for making sure to build around Maye early. Definitely not a Bill B Draft. 

I'm a bit surprised at how skewed the Rams and Packers drafts were. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, he did have a few whiffs early but he was never Waller bad 😁 

Our two TEs are like Thunder and Lightning, really excited to see both start this season. Gotta be careful not to get too caught up in the hype so I guess we'll find out how good our OC is when he's trying to get everyone involved as hopefully Tre Tucker will take a step too plus that new youngster we drafted as a 3rd down back.

You're an Oline guy aren't you, what do you think of Munford and his chances of being a starting RT man?

I like mumford he looked good at both ot spots last year rg imo was always our weak spot last year on oline

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I like mumford he looked good at both ot spots last year rg imo was always our weak spot last year on oline

I thought he played better at RT when he job shared with Eleumenour the year before. Was hoping he was going to be given the opportunity going into last year to make that position his own and I think him playing less there stalled his progress at the position. He played his best ball when filling in for Miller at LT IMO.

Still v. young, with all the tools to work with, just needs the opportunity to put a consistent run together and learn through his mistakes.

Totally agree that RG was a bigger need

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

And this forum is not North Korea - there is no unity of opinion. It's the way, some people express their opinion that rubs some people the wrong way. And further not to eat the crow if they're wrong.

Just before I read this I was thinking the best thing about us not drafting a QB was the amount of bickering we'd be doing if it wasn't 'our guy.' lol 

• Like 1

So if Mayer is like Witten and Bowers like Gonzalez and when we pay them it's under 20 million to resign then I think we're all smiling ear to ear when WR's are making BANK!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

I thought he played better at RT when he job shared with Eleumenour the year before. Was hoping he was going to be given the opportunity going into last year to make that position his own and I think him playing less there stalled his progress at the position. He played his best ball when filling in for Miller at LT IMO.

Still v. young, with all the tools to work with, just needs the opportunity to put a consistent run together and learn through his mistakes.

Totally agree that RG was a bigger need

Interesting I agree

i hope mumford is ready

On 4/29/2024 at 2:58 AM, Styrian Raider said:

And this forum is not North Korea - there is no unity of opinion. It's the way, some people express their opinion that rubs some people the wrong way. And further not to eat the crow if they're wrong.

You're spot on here- it isn't North Korea. Someone having a critical opinion shouldn't be the proverbial blood in the water it turns into as soon as someone isn't all sunshine and roses. 

In regard to an attempt at not eating crow- that's absolutely ironic given that myself (Ruggs) and Big Palooka (JMD) spent almost a year going at it and yet remain two of the only posters here I've ever actually seen admit to being wrong. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

You're spot on here- it isn't North Korea. Someone having a critical opinion shouldn't be the proverbial blood in the water it turns into as soon as someone isn't all sunshine and roses. 

In regard to an attempt at not eating crow- that's absolutely ironic given that myself (Ruggs) and Big Palooka (JMD) spent almost a year going at it and yet remain two of the only posters here I've ever actually seen admit to being wrong. 

I'll admit to being wrong.  But man did I call JMD failing hard.  And Jimmy.  Called those two since day one.  I have failed elsewhere though.  Definitely thought other players would pan out that haven't.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I might be wrong (based on a historical data ...), but weren't you the one who got offensive and got a warning regarding in this very thread?

Regardless of that, I think it always depends on how someone expresses his opinion how others react.
And when someone starts to wanting everybody fired, and says that the new regime's playing fantasy football, then you shouldn't wonder about the echo you're getting.

And if you're making references to me being wrong:

I hoped Leatherwood turned out to be a better prospect but it is like it is - mea culpa - Still thinking calling him stupid names makes justified criticism sound ridiculous.

And JMD? He damaged us and mostly himself with his stupid decisions and was righfully fired. He got the chance to prove his critics and he failed miserably. In hindsight pointing out the positives and "trusting the process" was a waste of time.

What else? idk but I never had any problems to admit that I am wrong - I don't know anyone in person here and probably never will.

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

I might be wrong (based on a historical data ...), but weren't you the one who got offensive and got a warning regarding in this very thread?

Regardless of that, I think it always depends on how someone expresses his opinion how others react.
And when someone starts to wanting everybody fired, and says that the new regime's playing fantasy football, then you shouldn't wonder about the echo you're getting.

And if you're making references to me being wrong:

I hoped Leatherwood turned out to be a better prospect but it is like it is - mea culpa - Still thinking calling him stupid names makes justified criticism sound ridiculous.

And JMD? He damaged us and mostly himself with his stupid decisions and was righfully fired. He got the chance to prove his critics and he failed miserably. In hindsight pointing out the positives and "trusting the process" was a waste of time.

What else? idk but I never had any problems to admit that I am wrong - I don't know anyone in person here and probably never will.

Yep, sure did. Plenty of people get warnings too. Happens all the time, so singling one instance out really doesn't mean anything. 

Nope. Just pointing out that you were correct in your assertion that many people do whatever they can to avoid owning bad takes- and that they're often the most "rabid" in terms of pure homerism, where God forbid you disagree with anything someone employed by the Raiders organization does. 

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'll admit to being wrong.  But man did I call JMD failing hard.  And Jimmy.  Called those two since day one.  I have failed elsewhere though.  Definitely thought other players would pan out that haven't.

That's the thing- there were a few in here that called it with JMD from day one and caught a ton of flack for doing so. 

And that sums up my point. Frankly, I've been on it since the night we drafted Cle Ferrell and I got pilloried for wanting Josh Allen (scheme fit, BPA, excuse after excuse). And holy crap, it wasn't even acknowledged as a mere difference of opinion, it was eviscerated because I didn't smoke the herb being passed around. 

JMD critics got it. Jimmy critics got it from a few. Mayock critics got it. So on, so forth. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's the thing- there were a few in here that called it with JMD from day one and caught a ton of flack for doing so. 

And that sums up my point. Frankly, I've been on it since the night we drafted Cle Ferrell and I got pilloried for wanting Josh Allen (scheme fit, BPA, excuse after excuse). And holy crap, it wasn't even acknowledged as a mere difference of opinion, it was eviscerated because I didn't smoke the herb being passed around. 

JMD critics got it. Jimmy critics got it from a few. Mayock critics got it. So on, so forth. 

I remember wanting Montez Sweat or Josh Allen.  Just because their 40-yard dash times were insane.  I tried to buy the hype of Cle, but it worried me that he didn't run the 40.  He didn't look fast in college.  He didn't have any pass rush moves.  He mainly won (sacked the QB) because he overpowered the OT he was going up against.  

But yeah, people on social media and this forum are pretty intense with their opinions/beliefs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I remember wanting Montez Sweat or Josh Allen.  Just because their 40-yard dash times were insane.  I tried to buy the hype of Cle, but it worried me that he didn't run the 40.  He didn't look fast in college.  He didn't have any pass rush moves.  He mainly won (sacked the QB) because he overpowered the OT he was going up against.  

But yeah, people on social media and this forum are pretty intense with their opinions/beliefs.

Lol. Tis why I've stuck around since like 06-07. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, Jerry said:

I remember getting crap for saying he was the 3rd best player on his d-line and would rather take Lawrence.  Hopefully we get a chance to reunite that Clemson IDL.