The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Luke Getsy got TEs not named Cole Kmet a grand total of 8 catches the last 2 years in Chicago. 

In Green Bay, the numbers were hardly better. 

Everyone yapping about using them in tandem a'la Gronk and Hernandez are just trying to justify being fanboys. Literally nothing about the makeup of this team from the OC to the QB to what the HC says he wants the identity of the offense to be says that's likely. 

Who was the back up TE in Chicago, also Justin Fields lol 

im a fan of adding talent. And we got a top 5 type of guy. Not going to whine about not picking a need like we’ve been for the past 20 years. 

• Like 2

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree he makes the O better but we had Mayer, a 2nd rounder last year and is now at best a 25 catch a year player.

Bowers is a stud prospect but for the pick to make sense he needs to be a HOFer. 

Well something to keep in mind is Bowers is also more of an office of weapon with the tide and label it does complement Mya well because he's the more traditional tight end that lacks athleticism(just why I didn't want him in the second round last year because those type of players are a dime a dozen). But it allows him to be this crazy mismatch that allows for a player like Devante to get more one on ones which he somehow still is the best receiver in the league against one on one coverage. That helps the team regardless of who the quarterback is because then whoever that quarterback is doesn't need to hold the ball and run around in circles for people to to buy time. Its not conventional but it does help

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree he makes the O better but we had Mayer, a 2nd rounder last year and is now at best a 25 catch a year player.

Bowers is a stud prospect but for the pick to make sense he needs to be a HOFer. 

This is so dumb. <1% of players become HOFer's. If that's your standard, lord help you. 

• Like 5

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Those 2 CBs are still there. Still plenty of OTs. 

Raiders in a good spot for the second round 

I'm telling you guys there was no definitive number one corner of this draft. I tried to explain that all off-season but I feel like people follow the websites too much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Kind of irrelevant. There is not a QB left that would beat out either. 

Agree on JJ, but even he needs a year to develop.

I don’t think it’s irrelevant and at that point of drafting you’re really not looking for them to beat them out are you? If I take Travis in the fourth I’m not expecting him to beat anyone out year one. This office sat on their hands and while yes I believe that got them a good player, I don’t think it made us very much better this upcoming year. It’s just poor foresight by the front office to me. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is so dumb. <1% of players become HOFer's. If that's your standard, lord help you. 

Yeah that is my standard when you take a player on a team with many holes to fill at more valuable positions. 

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You've clearly not watch Brock Bowers play. He's a WR who happens to play TE. He's a compliment not a replacement to Mayer.

All of the elite TE in the modern NFL are basically just big slot WR, he fits that mold. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Honestly we basically just did what the Lions did last year when they just made sure that they got better players regardless of position and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Having two big versatile TEs who can catch will cause problems in redzone. 
If Mayers has 25 catches, but 8 redzone TDs because a team gets forced to used a slot CB on him I’m all for it… or it teams use coverage lbers to cover bowers and Mayer, and we have insane redzone rush success I’m all for it. 

Stats are great and all, but Mayers and Bowers are versatile pieces that will cause D coordinator problems. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

He's definitely not a need but I don't think that that's what this was about it was about making sure you get better players. Rather than trying to get players you need that aren't as good. In theory if you do that every year you will have one of the better teams in the NFL by default. It's kind of the point of the draft in the first place. 

Trust me I didn't want tight end but our problem last year is that our office wasn't very good Bowers makes the offense better. 

For me it's simple:

Bowers is a good player. I'll cheer him on. 

But it's about this FO and their assessment of the roster and strategy for building. Whatever Brock Bowers becomes or not, they prioritized a luxury pick. That's the assessment. 

One job was had- don't be cute. We got cute. Bowers need to be significantly better than who we already had to justify the rationale, and that's going to be a tall order. We have more WRs than Getsy has ever had, we have the worst raw talent he's ever had, AP wants smashmouth ball, and Getsy has no history effective 2 TE sets to start with. 

It's not an issue with Bowers for me. It's what we wind up doing with him and everyone else. The statistical output to justify the pick is going to be tough to reach. He can't just replicate what Mayer already gave us, he's going to need to well out-pace it. I have sincere doubts he'll be able to because it asks for way too much change from too many aspects. 

• Like 1

We get to see pretty quickly why Telesco hit on so many first round picks. He takes the no brainer, the consensus "he's going to be great" pick. Makes sense. 

It's refreshing in many regards. 

.....still sad though we didn't get one of the qbs

• Like 4