1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

I don't care who he played against. It's FAR more important that he's making good decisions, progressing through reads quickly, maintaining good mechanics, and learning from his mistakes. So what if he was playing against back ups - did he take advantage of mistakes? Did he make routine throws look routine? Did he get the play calls right and get everyone lined up correctly? Did he maneuver in the pocket well? There's nothing to be gained from putting an asterisk next to performance based on preseason.

The arm strength, the grasp of the offense, the progressions, the pre snap stuff all looked really good for a 21 year old in his first professional action.

He needs go through progressions faster, clean up the top of his drops, and he's got some work to do on selling play action - those were the biggest things that I noticed. I think he easily had the most impressive debut from this rookie class. Williams was probably next with a couple of wow plays, but ultimately not enough to really pass judgement given like half of his yards came on a screen (even if the completion was pretty nifty).

I was impressed, and I think he showed why there's been so much hype coming out of camp.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

This is not good.

Zulgad might be misinterpreting, or intentionally being dramatic too.

O’Connell: "It’s some kind of routine soreness that a lot of guys after their first preseason game sometimes come in with, and it was something we wanted to be smart about."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/j-j-mccarthy-sits-out-practice-with-knee-soreness

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Zulgad might be misinterpreting, or intentionally being dramatic too.

O’Connell: "It’s some kind of routine soreness that a lot of guys after their first preseason game sometimes come in with, and it was something we wanted to be smart about."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/j-j-mccarthy-sits-out-practice-with-knee-soreness

Judd has become increasingly clickbait over the last few years. Which is sad, he was one of my first Vikings-Twitter follows.

• Like 1

He's been grinding all summer so there's no surprise that he's a little sore. I respect the hell out of KOCs approach to injuries and in the long term I think being cautious with player health is the best for both the franchise and the player.

Rest him for week 2 of the preseason and give his snaps to Mullens and Hall.

Edited by viking
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I would prefer it if the future of the franchise didn't have a knee issue preventing him from practicing after his first professional action 🤷‍♂️

Sure. But it's also nice that he's under no pressure to perform. He doesn't have to be ready to start Week 1. 

But yeah...less than ideal.

• Like 3