1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Lets be honest with this. With these types of injuries, it was bound to happen anyway since the ligament was weakened anyway. As someone who had a meniscectomy and now has arthritis in that knee, I highly recommend a repair for long term knee health vs just removing it. Short term its a good option to remove but since JJ is not in line to be the starter for this season, I'd be more happy to have him repair it for long term health. Lets be honest with this. With these types of injuries, it was bound to happen anyway since the ligament was weakened anyway. As someone who had a meniscectomy and now has arthritis in that knee, I highly recommend a repair for long term knee health vs just removing it. Short term its a good option to remove but since JJ is not in line to be the starter for this season, I'd be more happy to have him repair it for long term health. 

6 minutes ago, Saosin said:

Short term its a good option to remove but since JJ is not in line to be the starter for this season, I'd be more happy to have him repair it for long term health. 

It would seem silly not to do a thorough repair considering he plans on playing football for the next 15 years. Not exactly a low-impact lifestyle.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

It would seem silly not to do a thorough repair considering he plans on playing football for the next 15 years. Not exactly a low-impact lifestyle.

That was my thoughts exactly! It sucks he has this but long term for us its a good thing it happened now and not 2-3 years from now when the Vikings are fighting for playoff rankings. 

Edited by Saosin

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

He could go on PUP to start the season, right? 

This stinks.

No. In order to be placed on the PUP to start the season, they need to have been placed on the PUP before training camp started. 

If it’s. More than a few weeks, they’ll probably put him on IR, with a designation to return. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No. In order to be placed on the PUP to start the season, they need to have been placed on the PUP before training camp started. 

If it’s. More than a few weeks, they’ll probably put him on IR, with a designation to return. 

If he goes to IR right now he's done for the season.

• Like 2

This sucks but it might end up being a good thing long term.  I have wanted him to sit out his rookie season and I have been worried that they were gonna eventually end up tossing him out there.  They brought Darnold in to be the bridge quarterback so let him be that this season.  Plus from what we know of McCarthy, he is gonna be involved as much as he can possibly be even if he is hopping around on one leg from room to room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freakout said:

This sucks but it might end up being a good thing long term.  I have wanted him to sit out his rookie season and I have been worried that they were gonna eventually end up tossing him out there.  They brought Darnold in to be the bridge quarterback so let him be that this season.  Plus from what we know of McCarthy, he is gonna be involved as much as he can possibly be even if he is hopping around on one leg from room to room.

He's not going to improve his play not throwing. There's nothing good about this. 

• Like 2

Losing valuable on field reps during the remainder of training camp and preseason hurts. He'll have to hit the classroom/film study extra hard and get the mental reps. Hopefully the recovery is on the shorter side of things so he can resume the on-field work sooner rather than later. 

4-6 weeks would be mid September/early October, 9 months is mini-camp/OTA's next May/June. Praying for something closer to the former but ultimately want JJ to get back to 100% and not rush back.

• Like 1