1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

The only thing that bothers me still is McCarthy not getting the physical reps in practice. 

I didn't see him playing much at all this year. Even when we drafted him I told myself that 2025 is when I'd get to see him in action (knock on wood).

It's just the physical aspect of him getting reps in this offseason/preseason to help prepare him for 2025. That's the bummer.

Although I can't be too upset. He and Vikings ultimately made the right medical decision.

I'll take JJ dominating for us for 15 years while being healthy vs him rushing this medical decision in his 21 year old rookie season and derailing his career longterm.

/Rant

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The only thing that bothers me still is McCarthy not getting the physical reps in practice. 

QB2 doesn't generally get many physical practice reps in the regular season. The practice rules and the condensed timeframe just don't allow for it. He wasn't going to get many anyway unless he had hit the coaching staff's benchmarks AND Darnold was hurt or performing poorly, so those reps weren't necessarily likely regardless of the injury.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

seek counseling for your bothers.

he'll be getting a TON of mental reps. they will be very valuable, and without the stress of wanting to get out there and play. the guy is adaptable. highly adaptable. he'll use this as a strength.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It's just the physical aspect of him getting reps in this offseason/preseason to help prepare him for 2025. That's the bummer.

Good thing he's got the whole offseason program in 2025 available to him. It does hurt missing those opportunities but being able to just learn without the pressure of needing to play could be hugely beneficial. This is truly a redshirt season for an unfortunate reason.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think the team would have to flat out implode for O’Connell and Kwesi not to get extensions next year. 

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  Unless this team looks absolutely lifeless or the locker room collapses around KOC, I think he'll get at least another year.

Agreed, I think I mentioned it somewhere else but I'd fully expect them to receive extensions that align with McCarthy's rookie contract. 

• Like 1

The Wilfs stuck with Spielman for 15 years. I don’t see them being impatient with Kwesi. 

The only times they’ve fired a head coach was after it became clear that the head coach had lost the locker room. And I just don’t see that happening with O’Connell. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Agreed, I think I mentioned it somewhere else but I'd fully expect them to receive extensions that align with McCarthy's rookie contract. 

I'd be surprised if KOC and Kwesi got extensions that matched McCarthy's rookie contract.  The injury probably guarantees that they get at least one, if not 2 years beyond this season.

17 hours ago, viking said:

How long until McCarthy can start working on footwork?

2/3 months?

I believe the surgery was on the right knee, so the trail foot? Then it will take at least 3-4 months, since the trail foot bears the full bodyweight at the end of the dropback, and a lot of strain is put on the meniscus that way.

Honestly feeling right now that this forced redshirt season is going to be for the best for McCarthy. He can get his knee fully repaired & rehabbed with zero pressure to play in any games.

He'll have the full season with the team learning the playbook, studying opponents and learning the ropes

By the time January/February comes around he'll be back to full strength ready to work on his passing mechanics & working out to build up his body

In the 2024 offseason if Kwesi spends a chunk of our cap in the trenches we'll have a fully healthy *22* year old QB surrounded with talent (all of our offensive cornerstones under contact in 2025) to lead the franchise.

Amor Fati!!

• Like 5