1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15

Robert Griffin III@RGIII

The @Vikings just got a down hill boulder who plays with the agility of a gazelle and the strength of a Viking in Dallas Turner. Everything he does is violent and he is a Day 1 starter in Minnesota after collecting 23.5 sacks in the SEC.

• Like 1

ESPN’s article with three contributors—draft experts Fields Yates, Matt Miller, and Jordan Reid—determined the best and worst teams in various categories. While they liked Minnesota’s move for McCarthy, Miller and Reid named the trade for Turner the best one in the first round:

Matt Miller: "The Vikings trading up to No. 17 from No. 23 for Alabama edge rusher Dallas Turner. The Vikings made two trades up the board in the first round, but I like the second move the most. Turner was my No. 7 overall player in the class, and Minnesota landed him at No. 17 before the run on defensive ends happened. It was a timely and savvy trade up to get ahead of the Rams (No. 19), plus a real steal on value."

Jordan Reid: "Agreed on the Vikings moving up to No. 17 for Turner. GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was aggressive in adding two players at spots of need Thursday. The Vikings desperately needed to come out of this draft with a QB of the future, and they did that with McCarthy. But the more surprising move came when the team traded up to get Turner, landing my top-ranked defensive player in the class. Minnesota arguably had the best first round of any team."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/one-vikings-move-in-particular-draws-the-most-praise?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

i may have posted this already, but...

According to Kevin Seifert, “New Vikings edge rusher Dallas Turner was the biggest steal of the draft, per the ESPN NFL Draft Predictor, which factors in expert mock drafts, Scouts Inc. grades and team needs. There was a 3% chance Turner would be available at No. 17.”

i think that was posted though before rounds 2 and 3. were there "steals" in those rounds?

Edited by vike daddy

20 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Nick Saban was interviewed during ABC's coverage of the draft and compared Turner to Dont’a Hightower, who played a pivotal role on Alabama's 2011 National Championship team:

"This guy's quiet, but he's a great leader. He sets a great example. He works hard every day in practice. He has position-flexibility. People keep comparing him to Will Anderson; he's more like Dont'a Hightower. He went inside, he got outside, we stood him up, he's a good rusher. He can take gaps inside. So I think the versatility is phenomenal."

Hightower was drafted 25th overall by New England in 2012 and went on to play 10 seasons for the Patriots, earning three Super Bowl rings and a pair of Pro Bowl nods.

https://www.vikings.com/news/dallas-turner-nfl-draft-5-things-to-know

Coach Saban is most likely comparing the personalities of the two players.

Athletically they are worlds apart, Dallas Turner ran a 4.46 40 with a 40.5" vertical, Hightower had a solid 4.68 40 with a so so 32" vertical but also weighs 18 pounds more than Turner at the time both ran at the combine.  Hightower was a brick wall in college, physical imposing force and played ILB at times, Turner did not play ILB at Alabama ever, and was not near the brick wall Hightower was physically. I assume he means they rushed him inside or had a edge rusher opposite him in pass rush but I do not recall him being a straight up ILB or being as versatile or a ILB at Bama as much as Hightower was.  Both did play early on in their career and at a high level consistently so that is a similarity.  But Turner is by far a better quicker more dangerous pass rusher and Hightower never was that in college and never was that in the NFL either.  They are different players but Turner does have versatility to drop into coverage which is great and athletically he is way faster and quicker so is probably better in coverage than Hightower.  

Dallas Turner dropped because I assume he did not interview great, did not give the impression teams wanted at that high pick so he fell.  The big time run of QB, OL and WR clearly made him drop as well.  Athletically though he is easily the most elite edge rusher in terms of pure speed and production.  Verse is by far more powerful and that would have been nice to have, more physical play but he does not have the zone blitzing drop ability that clearly Flores wants with his defense on the edge.   

If the Vikings would have stuck at #23 they could have got Arnold or Wiggins which would not have been bad, or DeJean who I feel did fall way to far for a kid that talented and athletic.  But getting Turner was really great considering how elite he could be and how wildly athletic he is.  Also gives scheme versatility to bring Van Ginkel inside and not as a starting edge and move him around a bit more and gain much needed depth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viking said:

I'm not sure how it's possible to love a draft pick more than I already did but it happened

He is the player I am most excited to see in his rookie year since AD.  Elite physical traits, college production, reported high character and football IQ, and lots of upside in a Brian Flores defense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Because of...?

Just because of Turners profile, production, athletic traits, accolades.

I think he's going to be an all-pro. The highest I've been for a Vikings draft pick all-time.  

• VikeManDan changed the title to 1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15