4.108 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon - #31

Fewest yards per coverage snap allowed outside the slot, Round 1 CBs since the 2021 draft/this class (via PFF)

T. McDuffie: 0.52
P. Surtain: 0.60
S. Gardner: 0.61
K. Elam: 0.61
D. Banks: 0.61
K. McKinstry: 0.62*
E. Stokes: 0.63
J. Horn: 0.64
K. Jackson: 0.66*
Q. Mitchell: 0.68*

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Fewest yards per coverage snap allowed outside the slot, Round 1 CBs since the 2021 draft/this class (via PFF)

T. McDuffie: 0.52
P. Surtain: 0.60
S. Gardner: 0.61
K. Elam: 0.61
D. Banks: 0.61
K. McKinstry: 0.62*
E. Stokes: 0.63
J. Horn: 0.64
K. Jackson: 0.66*
Q. Mitchell: 0.68*

Pretty good company

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Now that I look into him, he looks like a Safety at the next level. 

Hopefully that means we're done with Cine and Jackson can take over for Harrison Smith next year as the #3 guy.

He’s a big CB…. I expect him to stay at CB.  I know Flores likes big CB’s which is why he kept giving Joejuan Williams so many reps last years.

Cine can still be a good player.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, joeybrowner47 said:

I respect your opinion so I’m even happier with Jackson now! 

I really like him. Wanted him in 3rd, when we still had a pick, if we went another position in the first. 

The Vikings opened their third day of the 2024 NFL Draft by selecting Oregon cornerback Khyree Jackson.

Jackson is listed at 6-foot-3 and 194 pounds. 

He led the Ducks with three interceptions in 2023, when he garnered First-Team All-Pac-12 honors. Jackson started all 12 games he played for Oregon last season, recording 34 tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, three interceptions and seven pass breakups.

vikings.com

which other CB's in the Pac-12 would he have been competing with for this?

Khyree Jackson was a bit of journeyman throughout his college career. The Maryland native played junior college ball at Fort Scott Community College, then transferred to the University of Alabama for the 2021 and 2022 seasons before transferring to the University of Oregon. He passes the eye test with an excellent 6'3", 195-pound frame.

While playing in coverage, Jackson shows a range of coverages and techniques. Press man coverage is the one he plays the most. He opts to mostly mirror receivers at the line of scrimmage and get hands-on as he rides them downfield.

At times, he can fall behind when facing shiftier athletes, and without true recovery speed, he can panic at times and grab for a jersey to keep within range. When he's able to get his head around, he does a great job of locating and tracking the ball. One of the biggest keys to Jackson's success in coverage is how well he's able to keep his pad level down.

Although Jackson isn't an enforcer in the run game, he does a good job of playing his position. He identifies the run and quickly comes up to support. A wrap tackler who shoots for the legs, he will throw his body around when advantageous. When taking on blocks, he lacks the strength to truly shock and control, although most times he does a good job of using his length to disengage from blocks.

Jackson is an interesting prospect with a high ceiling. He still needs to shore up some things in the NFL, but he has the length and skill set that teams are looking for. Jackson has the potential to be an impact player in the NFL.

GRADE: 7.5 (Potential Impact Player — 2nd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 41

POSITION RANK: CB6

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10091284-khyree-jackson-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-oregon-cb

We hit on Mekhi Blackmon last year, and I hope that we do the same with Khyree Jackson. People talk about his age, but Mekhi Blackmon was 24 as well, when he got picked in last year’s draft and that worked out well for us. Kwesi has now taken a CB in every one of his drafts. Akayleb Evans, Mekhi Blackmon and now Khyree Jackson. I like his film from last year and he looks like a guy who moves really well for his size. He is shifty for a 6’4” CB and he can mirror WRs well. He does get grabby sometimes but he doesn’t have to, because he’s fast and has good change of direction ability. He also needs to improve his tackling but so does almost every other CB in the draft. I think these are fixable flaws and that Flores will get him right. He should get Joejuan Williams’ reps this year. Our CB room is looking really tough now with Murphy, Griffin, Blackmon, Evans, Booth and Jackson. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

not that i know anything about evaluating CB's, but i like how he jams his shoulder against the receivers' shoulders and really gets right next to them.

some nice open field tackles too. the guys drop right away to the ground.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

The open field tackling is what stood out first 

not that Jackson is in any way built like Antoine Winfield was, but i also liked how when 'Toine tackled someone, they went immediately to the ground. like a bag of dirt, they say...