NFL General - Steelers Forum

steelcurtain29

14 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont know why anyone would expect us to cut Haden.    

McDonald....I guess we will see.   I still wouldnt rule it out, but it depends on several factors.

I think some may think that because of the contract. If I'm not mistaken, he's do a huge pay raise next year. Something may need to be done about that but I agree he's on the roster next year. 

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I think some may think that because of the contract. If I'm not mistaken, he's do a huge pay raise next year. Something may need to be done about that but I agree he's on the roster next year. 

Regardless of his contract, I never expected us to dump him THIS year.    Maybe after 2018 depending how he is playing and if he is healthy.   However, our secondary was clearly better when he was on the field last year....especially prior to him getting hurt.

We have pretty much nothing at CB without him.   Burns is a bum IMO,...poor man's version of Ike Taylor (and Ike wasnt even that good).   Gay might be gone, and even if he isnt, has very little to offer.    Same with Sensabaugh.    Only corner beyond Haden I have ANY hope in is Cam Sutton....and even he still has alot to prove.  

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Regardless of his contract, I never expected us to dump him THIS year.    Maybe after 2018 depending how he is playing and if he is healthy.   However, our secondary was clearly better when he was on the field last year....especially prior to him getting hurt.

We have pretty much nothing at CB without him.   Burns is a bum IMO,...poor man's version of Ike Taylor (and Ike wasnt even that good).   Gay might be gone, and even if he isnt, has very little to offer.    Same with Sensabaugh.    Only corner beyond Haden I have ANY hope in is Cam Sutton....and even he still has alot to prove.  

I'll assume you forgot to mention Hilton as corners you have hope for. But I agree with you.

However, it is a large cap increase, I wasn't aware of, his 2017 cap hit was 3.16 million and 2018 cap hit will be 11.92 million. Regardless, you do what you have to do to keep a guy like Haden around. Which IMO starts with cutting dead weight guys as mentioned in the other thread with big hits like Mitchell, Wilcox and Gay. All guys who are very replaceable IMO. Maybe keep Gay for veteran status. 

I think Hilton is getting some undue praise. He reminds me so much of Antwon Blake. Everyone loved him because he was so physical and then people started seeing him try to cover people. I pray we never have to rely on Hilton as one of our top corners. I think he's going to get hammered hard next year. Teams will figure him out and he's far too  athletically limited to counter it. 

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Hilton is getting some undue praise. He reminds me so much of Antwon Blake. Everyone loved him because he was so physical and then people started seeing him try to cover people. I pray we never have to rely on Hilton as one of our top corners. I think he's going to get hammered hard next year. Teams will figure him out and he's far too  athletically limited to counter it. 

Yikes, I don't see that at all honestly. I see no Blake, Blake was extremely undersized and a liability in coverage. Hilton is by no means a top cover corner or a CB1 but they found a nice niche for him as a nickel corner and blitzing off the edge. I think he deserves the praise he is getting. Replace him with William Gay consistently or Antwon Blake and you won't get the same results. While I think he got a ton of praise, most of it was deserving 

2 minutes ago, JPeezy55 said:

Yikes, I don't see that at all honestly. I see no Blake, Blake was extremely undersized and a liability in coverage. Hilton is by no means a top cover corner or a CB1 but they found a nice niche for him as a nickel corner and blitzing off the edge. I think he deserves the praise he is getting. Replace him with William Gay consistently or Antwon Blake and you won't get the same results. While I think he got a ton of praise, most of it was deserving 

Blake was listed at 5'9 198lbs

Hilton 5'9 183

Both overly physical. Both good blitzers. Both can make tackles. Neither can cover WR's consistently. 

Hilton looked good. He had a ton of sacks and had the sexy tackle against Kelce but his coverage left a lot to be desired and teams are going to start attacking him through the air next season. That's all but guaranteed. I see Sutton as our starting slot guy by the end of next year.

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Blake was listed at 5'9 198lbs

Hilton 5'9 183

Both overly physical. Both good blitzers. Both can make tackles. Neither can cover WR's consistently. 

Hilton looked good. He had a ton of sacks and had the sexy tackle against Kelce but his coverage left a lot to be desired and teams are going to start attacking him through the air next season. That's all but guaranteed. I see Sutton as our starting slot guy by the end of next year.

Troy Polamalu was 5'10" 207 height and weight doesn't always hold comparison

I understand what you're trying to get at with their play and size. But I see no comparison with the two. On top of that Antwon Blake was played primarily as an outside corner, which Hilton is not. Hilton may not be the most talented but they have found a very good role for him. I think Hilton is an athletic guy who does very well for his size. We will agree to disagree, but I do like Sutton's play. However, I think one of the main reasons Hilton plays so much in the slot is his great blitzing ability 

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Rumor has it Martavis Bryant to Miami for Davante Parker has been discussed . Nothing close to a deal yet I guess but interesting none the less if true. I'd love to see Parker as a Steeler.

incarceratedbob is the guy starting that rumor tho is he a known troll?

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

incarceratedbob is the guy starting that rumor tho is he a known troll?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/2/21/17034660/redskins-dolphins-jets-and-colts-have-called-steelers-about-martavis-bryant-devante-parker-rumors

This is where I read about it. Chances are there's no validity to it, bit if there is, well it goes to show the Steelers are at least acknowledging the fact Bryant mat not have a long term future here.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/2/21/17034660/redskins-dolphins-jets-and-colts-have-called-steelers-about-martavis-bryant-devante-parker-rumors

This is where I read about it. Chances are there's no validity to it, bit if there is, well it goes to show the Steelers are at least acknowledging the fact Bryant mat not have a long term future here.

It's based off an Incarcerated Bob rumor.  He's as reliable as Crappaport.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Parker has been really good when healthy....better than Bryant when on the field.  If Miami did that I would laugh at them while we have the best 3 wr's, with 2 #1 WR's and an elite #2.

IIRC, rumor was that Tomlin loved Parker coming out of draft...for what it’s worth.

So nfl.com has an article about free agency signing predictions for the AFC and the player that is mentioned for the Steelers is Anthony Hitchens. I'm not going to pretend I know a crap ton about Anthony Hitchens because he's not a guy I've really watched within the NFL a whole lot but I'm sure some of you know a lot more about him than I do from what I've seen of him he looks like a decent player but my question where I'm going with this is how well would he sit in our defense would that be a good signing I think it might be realistic because he's not a guy that's been talked about a lot

Archived