Post-Draft Chat

Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The CB competition is going to be a fun one. Hobbs is a lock in the slot and Jones is a lock on the outside. 

Who wins the other CB spot? 

We could still sign someone and another RT, WR that would be cherry on top.

• Like 1

Looking back I am very excited about this class.

Pick by pick:

13 Brock Bowers: Unbelievable athlete at the tight end position. Truly a freak. He hit 20-something MPH from the tight end spot. He can block better than some think. Only 21. Who knows what the ceiling is with our future QB.

44. JPJ: Didn't watch as much of him because he was slated as a center early. POWERFUL and stout. Can play right away at right guard and hopefully finally be a solution to our run blocking woes.

77. Delmar Glaze: Least favorite pick. However, his pass-blocking metrics are good and he has experience playing everywhere. Not a horrible pick by any means though and I do think he can become a good depth player or maybe even a guard starter down the line depending on if Parham stays long-term.

112. Decamerion Richardson: 2nd least favorite pick. HOWEVER, I understand why this could actually end up being one of our best picks if he develops. HWS freak at CB who has no problem tackling. I don't think he's a year 1 player, but in a few years we could look back on this and have a high end starter if he cleans things up.

148. Tommy Eichenberg: Very spillane like by his description. His coverage instincts suck but I wonder if they can be coached up. Clean tackler and a good depth piece. LB was a need so I can't complain, though i wish we drafted a RAS player at LB.

208. Dylan Laube: My personal favorite pick. His route running is actually very good. A lot of running backs catch passes but how many are running real routes with any kind of tempo or significant change of direction. You saw him cross up guys at the senior bowl with his routes. Good RAS. To get him this late is excellent value. He can play right away on 3rd down.

223. Trey Taylor: Need to watch more. His RAS is elite though and he had ball production. Can't argue with it at this stage.

229. MJ Devonshire. Also haven't watched much. Decent RAS and was slated to go earlier by many? He did have a good game against Jamari Thrash who I liked. Seems to have inside-outside versatility. Again, happy about another shot at CB.

All in all, a very sensible class with a good mix of BPA/Key needs/Positional Value. I'm not saying every class will be a hit, but I think this is a good marriage of GM credibility with a head coach who understands who can be developed and where team needs are (cough cough **** you JMD). The process for me is good. That alone gives me optimism for the future.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I did like how they just ignored the QB. Understand that this season is about AOC and Minshew and 2025 is about the QB. 

You liked that they basically just punted away any chance of being competitive next year? And basically settled on wasting Adams final season in Vegas?

A decent class to cap off a decent free agency. I don't think the team is significantly better than it was at the end of last year, all things considered, and it doesn't seem like they're serious about competing in the short term. Unfortunately we're still likely a 5-8 win team next year, so hopefully Telesco will actually try to land a QB to build around. There's a decent chance this is the last year we see Adams and possibly Meyers in LV, so we'll likely have to retool the entire offense along with adding a QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

And we're sure it's his last season in Vegas why?

When he signed his deal year 4/5 were basically only there to boost the overall value of his deal / make him the highest paid APY. $44M cap hit in 2025 with $30M / $37M in cap savings if we decide to move on. Vic Tafur also said that the Bowers pick was made to ease the likely loss of Adams following next year or something to that effect on twitter.

@MrOaktown_56

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-contract-salary-cap-rumors/

“Adams, 31, will make $16.9 million in salary this season and count $25.4 million against the salary cap,” Tafur wrote in an April 25 column. “Next year, that number jumps to $44 million — so, yeah, that’s not happening. Adams will need a new deal with the Raiders or he may decide he has a better chance at making the playoffs somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When he signed his deal year 4/5 were basically only there to boost the overall value of his deal / make him the highest paid APY. $44M cap hit in 2025 with $30M / $37M in cap savings if we decide to move on. Vic Tafur also said that the Bowers pick was made to ease the likely loss of Adams following next year or something to that effect on twitter.

The next time Vic predicts something right will be the first time. They can simply restructure his contract and/or extend him. At least that is my belief or Telesco is an idiot to say he's untradeable with the plan of cutting him next year.

• Like 1

This felt to me like a controlled, calm draft from our perspective. In years past we’ve always seemed reactive and prone to making panic picks and horrible value picks. Telesco seemed to just stick to his board and genuinely seemed to be only one reach on the OT.

Personally, with McCarthy sat there at the Jets slot I’m a bit disappointed we didn’t make the small trade up but then again, maybe they didn’t rate him that highly. The other negative is I think we didn’t get a day 1 starter at RT or CB and we ignored DT.

JPJ was my favourite pick and we did pick hard nosed players who tackle and hit, a love of football seemed to be a theme throughout this draft. Least favourite pick was  the OT Glaze but honestly, don’t know much about him, so maybe I’m being harsh.

Much more relaxing watching this performance rather than the erratic and frankly amateur efforts of the likes of Grudock and McDaniels but we didn’t seem proactive in trading up at all (for players I liked 😁😁)

I’d give this draft a very solid B- grade.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This felt to me like a controlled, calm draft from our perspective. In years past we’ve always seemed reactive and prone to making panic picks and horrible value picks. Telesco seemed to just stick to his board and genuinely seemed to be only one reach on the OT.

Personally, with McCarthy sat there at the Jets slot I’m a bit disappointed we didn’t make the small trade up but then again, maybe they didn’t rate him that highly. The other negative is I think we didn’t get a day 1 starter at RT or CB and we ignored DT.

JPJ was my favourite pick and we did pick hard nosed players who tackle and hit, a love of football seemed to be a theme throughout this draft. Least favourite pick was  the OT Glaze but honestly, don’t know much about him, so maybe I’m being harsh.

Much more relaxing watching this performance rather than the erratic and frankly amateur efforts of the likes of Grudock and McDaniels but we didn’t seem proactive in trading up at all (for players I liked 😁😁)

I’d give this draft a very solid B- grade.

Very close, almost exactly to how I felt!

6 hours ago, Justwinning said:

No QB aside from the top 6 would have moved the needle for our QB room. I’m glad we ignored it the rest of the way to focus on depth.

Yeah agree. AOC is the development guy on the roster and get a bunch of reps. You need a vet like Minshew because you cant count on a new late round pick to even be backup material. That leaves so little reps that i dont think it would have been a good move, unless value falls in your lap (which was tough after 6 guys going in first 12 spots)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I'm not sure it would have been a small trade up with the Jets. The Vikings only needed to pay small value because it was a no brainer for the Jets: it was 1 spot and the Jets knew 4sure they could get the guy they wanted anyway. Basically a free 4+5th.

In our case the Jets would not know who would have been available, so you dont make that trade as the Jets unless you get big value imo.

• Like 2

Very satisfied. I really wanted a QB - but I'm glad now, on reflection that we stayed out of the madness as it allowed us to benefit from it in the shape of Bowers. And that's where it starts for me. In not getting distracted, being disciplined and true to his principles, Telesco made an outstanding choice. I was totally shocked by the pick, but once I had processed it I was buzzing - both for the player and because it showed why Telesco is admired for his early drafting. He focuses single mindedly on acquiring talent.

Following the Bowers pick with JPJ showed that commitment too - but with the added bonus of it being in a position of need. We now have a young, talented group of olineman who, if we continue to invest next year (a la Steelers) can be the foundation of our team for years. 

I am meh on Glaze - but understood the rationale once the last remaining OTs began to go. He was their preference and with Christian Jones dropping for whatever reason - perhaps there weren't that many alternatives. Listening to Dane Brugler, who said he has all the tools and, coupled with the promising pressure stats where he grades out as one of the best over the past 2 years (one of those years being at RT), it is clear there is something there to work with and he comes straight in to compete with Munford at RT. Let the best man win.

From there on out it was a stream of sensible picks with a mix of targeting the secondary with HWS potential upside (Richardson, Taylor, Devonshire) and specific role players in Laube and Eichenberg - both whop perform their very niche role to a high level.

Culture wise, we have brought in guys that clearly love football - particularly Bowers and JPJ - and I'm sure AP had a large part to play in Eichenberg who seems the same.

B+ for me. Only down from an A as I would have probably liked them to swap the CB/OT pick order at that point and wanted to come away with at least one of the upside DTs or Edges that seemed to slip. 

• Like 3