What Were the Weirdest Picks in the 2024 NFL Draft?

PossibleCabbage

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

It's not like MHJ doesn't have a huge effective catch radius too.  He's also shown he can still thrive even with a totally bogus QB this season.  He's just so smooth with his adjustments on the ball that it isn't maybe as outwardly dramatic as Odunze's "contested catch" ability.  But MHJ is no slouch in that arena either.

Completely agree, which is why I emphasized the (very very marginal) part. Taking MHJ is never not a good pick.

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe it'll work. 

The niners got a comp pick for Jacksonville signing QB CJ Beathard. 

That comp pick was used to select Brock Purdy 

Yeah but Beathard doesn’t have the stigma of being a first round pick.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 11:39 AM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Don't draft punters. Definitely don't draft punters in the fourth round. It is just terrible value and these picks rarely work out.

To be fair only like 20% of 4th round teams are on the same team that drafted them after their rookie deal.

I would have preferred to sign Araiza way earlier and not had the need to drafy a punter, but I actually don't mind the signing. If he sucks then it will look really bad, but we will see.

On 4/27/2024 at 8:35 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

Atlanta's in general. The Penix pick, trading up for Roro. double dipping at DT with Dorlus in the high 4th. I didn't hate the picks but the draft value and their roster make it quite head scratching.

As a Falcons fan the Penix pick is too easy, the head scratcher to me was not a single DB taken. Using a 3rd to trade up for Ruke was odd. Could've stayed put for Melton or Rakestraw or if you make that trade up Dejean and McKinstry both there. Tampa/Kyhree Jackson hung around until the 4th also.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:39 AM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Don't draft punters. Definitely don't draft punters in the fourth round. It is just terrible value and these picks rarely work out.

What do you mean rarely workout?? Haha....I dont think there has been a "bust" punter. I think the logic is that they could have had more value.

Not that these picks "dont workout" haha

On 4/27/2024 at 9:35 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

Atlanta's in general. The Penix pick, trading up for Roro. double dipping at DT with Dorlus in the high 4th. I didn't hate the picks but the draft value and their roster make it quite head scratching.

I get the Penix and Ruke questioning. I don't get the Dorlus questioning. The Falcons have a pair of 31 year old DTs in Jarrett and Onyemata. They have their apprentices/rotational pieces for this year now in Ruke and Dorlus. Dorlus was a great value in the 4th too. 

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

What do you mean rarely workout?? Haha....I dont think there has been a "bust" punter. I think the logic is that they could have had more value.

The Commanders drafted Durant Brooks in the 6th round in the 2008 draft. He made it six weeks and 26 punts before we cut him. He rotated a couple of practice squads, but that was ever it. He's the definition of a bust punter. 

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

If you draft a punter in the fourth round they need to be an elite level punter. That almost never happens. They often play at a replacement level and are a complete waste of draft capital. Oh they also do bust. 

It’s just bad draft strategy. 

18 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If you draft a punter in the fourth round they need to be an elite level punter. That almost never happens. They often play at a replacement level and are a complete waste of draft capital. Oh they also do bust. 

It’s just bad draft strategy. 

Well our punter was like 27th in the league, and this dude is an elite level punter. Also a week 1 starter in the 4th round.

Replacement level would be if he came in and was like bottom 10

26 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Well our punter was like 27th in the league, and this dude is an elite level punter. Also a week 1 starter in the 4th round.

Replacement level would be if he came in and was like bottom 10

No replacement level punters are like punters 8-25. The difference between a solid punter and a not very good punter is typically not much in terms of impact. We aren’t talking about QB’s. You only really notice punters when they are either very good or very bad. Heavily investing into a punter like this means they have to be elite or it is a disappointment. 

He also has shown nothing in the NFL and will need to prove he can be an elite level punter in the league before you can claim that. There have been plenty of punters that people viewed as great in college that did not transition the way people hoped or took longer to get there than people thought they would. 

Taking a punter in the fourth round is just bad strategy. It might work out, but the process isn’t good. You are better off signing known quantities or throwing minimal investment darts for a better return on investment. 

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

Dorlus was a great value in the 4th too. 

I had 1st round grades on 3 of their picks (Penix/Dorlus/Trice) and Ruke was close.

I think Atlanta had a stellar draft. I know I am in the minority there. 

2 hours ago, Armbar said:

I had 1st round grades on 3 of their picks (Penix/Dorlus/Trice) and Ruke was close.

I think Atlanta had a stellar draft. I know I am in the minority there. 

What's your criteria for a 1st round grade?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

What's your criteria for a 1st round grade?

A player with a (+ starter) grade. I rank on a 0-100 scale and don’t factor in positional importance. A 76+ grade would indicate that type of player.

Dorlus got a 77

Penix got a 76

Trice got a 78

I hated this draft class, so for the Falcons to select 3 dudes I really liked gives them a very high mark for me. Probably a top 5-10 class when it’s all said & done.

I had Philly & the 2 LA teams ranked top 3.