53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

On 6/1/2024 at 6:52 PM, GHARMON9 said:

Yeah I want Wilson to succeed more than  most cause he went to Fort Valley. 

But he had every opportunity to make a difference and didn't.

I wouldn't bet on him at all.

Yep he was pretty disappointing.  My guess is they roster 3 and Wilson ends up on the PS.  Really don't think he's at risk of getting poached either.   Think Pratt has a better chance to make the 53.  Packers will roster guys who they think are at risk of being poached.  At least initially.  Pratt will be one of those guys. 

We do have to remember that while we all like our 7th string LB, chances are that other teams like theirs as well.  Just because Samori Toure is rosterable, doesn't mean that he will automatically get picked up.  I would be surprised if any non-AJ Dillon RB cut would be picked up by any teams.  And the AJ Dillon market wasn't super high in the first place.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We do have to remember that while we all like our 7th string LB, chances are that other teams like theirs as well.  Just because Samori Toure is rosterable, doesn't mean that he will automatically get picked up.  I would be surprised if any non-AJ Dillon RB cut would be picked up by any teams.  And the AJ Dillon market wasn't super high in the first place.  

"Nobody" actually gets claimed after roster cuts. Not literally nobody but virtually nobody. Cuts now go from 90 to 53. That's ~ 1200 cuts across the NFL.  <25 players the last two years got claimed after cutdowns the last two years.  So like <2% of players who get cut get claimed. 

Edited by wgbeethree
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He will find his way onto a practice squad but he's not an NFL WR. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If Amari freaking Rodgers can find meaningful snaps with the Roomin-with-Cthulu Houston Texans, then the likes of Toure could probably latch on to a similar bottom-feeder.

11 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Yep he was pretty disappointing.  My guess is they roster 3 and Wilson ends up on the PS.  Really don't think he's at risk of getting poached either.   Think Pratt has a better chance to make the 53.  Packers will roster guys who they think are at risk of being poached.  At least initially.  Pratt will be one of those guys. 

Reality check, he was an undrafted free agent. The fact he made it onto the field for games, negates him being disappointing. 

He had 14 carries for 85 yards, a 6.1 avg. If you discount his 23-yard run he 13 for 54, a 4.1 avg. 

Where in the **** is the ****ting on Wilson coming from? He was a rookie who is going to get a lot better. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Nobody actually gets

"Nobody" actually gets claimed after roster cuts. Not literally nobody but virtually nobody. Cuts now go from 90 to 53. That's ~ 1200 cuts across the NFL.  <25 players the last two years got claimed after cutdowns the last two years.  So like <2% of players who get cut get claimed. 

Out of those 1200, 900 or more will likely never see a snap in an NFL game. More than half will likely not make a practice squad. Claims do happen, didn't we poach a TE last year? They also happen during season when teams poach practice squads. 

The point of Packer fans fearing guys we want to keep are going to get poached is overblown for sure. Every year we fear for a guy or two and they seem to make it back on our practice squad. Brendon Cox was last year's darling. I was worried about him for sure. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Wilson is a nice depth back, but he's already 25, really won't lose any sleep from him not making this roster. 

Given RB’s general shelf life is 5-6 years, his age is not a factor. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Toure? The fact that he has 160 yards and a TD in the NFL, kind of kills that argument.  He is an NFL WR.  He was probably the best example of a player that is good enough to make the roster, but probably won't.  And that is the whole point I was making.  Every team has fringe roster players, and unless you run into a situation like we did at TE last season, teams are likely to keep their own. 

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Given RB’s general shelf life is 5-6 years, his age is not a factor. 

If I can replace my 3rd back with someone younger who was a better prospect than they were to begin with, I'm not losing sleep over it. 

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Reality check, he was an undrafted free agent. The fact he made it onto the field for games, negates him being disappointing. 

He had 14 carries for 85 yards, a 6.1 avg. If you discount his 23-yard run he 13 for 54, a 4.1 avg. 

Where in the **** is the ****ting on Wilson coming from? He was a rookie who is going to get a lot better. 

He lit it up in the preseason.  Got my hopes up.  Regular season didn't have vision.  Drop off from Jones was significant.  He looked a lot like Dillion to me.  You seem to be a lot higher on him than I am.  We'll see he'll either end up on the PS or released.  JMO...