2024 Team Outlook

AKRNA

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Practically, sure. But Payton has a huge ego and he could make millions as an analyst. He's probably not all that interested in suffering through another 5-6 win season just to build for the future. The fanbase (right or wrong) doesn't have that patience either. Nix will start 12+ games this year I predict. 

Also to your earlier post about experience. I can see it both ways, but I believe one of the predictors of success in the pros has always been the amount of college experience a QB has. Not a hard and fast rule, but I think his experience can only help him

You may be right we'll just have to see.

I just raised the experience issue because of the disparity on takes. I thought it was pretty funny. Personally, unless it's a RB, the more the better.

• Like 1

I'll be surprised if we win more than 3 games next year. As bad as Russell Wilson performed, he was ahead of the QB's currently on our roster. On top of that, I don't see our overall roster being better this year over last...and don't forget about our flukey 5 game winning streak last year. That's a lot to overcome with coaching. Are we really that high on Vance Joseph?

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

I'll be surprised if we win more than 3 games next year. As bad as Russell Wilson performed, he was ahead of the QB's currently on our roster. On top of that, I don't see our overall roster being better this year over last...and don't forget about our flukey 5 game winning streak last year. That's a lot to overcome with coaching. Are we really that high on Vance Joseph?

Ehhhhh, I just don't see it. Sean Payton has never lost more than 9 games in a season, and this roster isn't nearly the worst We've seen in the past few years (Flacco, Keenum, Lock etc etc). Even in those seasons we never only won 3 games. I think we likely end up about where we were this year. I think this is largely due to how "safe" Sean's system is which will beat teams just by itself (running the ball; dink and dunk with little to no interceptions every game). I'm also not convinced Russ actually is ahead of our QBs in terms of fit. Maybe slightly but I wouldn't put him way above with how he was playing. 

I guess in terms of team outlook, I'm just wanting to see our young guys get play and develop some chemistry together. We absolutely have to have these rookies in a productive/impactful place by the end of the season. It's something we talked about ad nauseum here last year. If that doesn't happen, then Payton and Paton might as well resign because we won't be going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

I disagree with the bolded. Russ made the rest of the offense worse. His inability to convert on 3rd down was mind-boggling bad. His number of sacks after holding onto the ball longer than 3 seconds was by far the most in the league, almost as many as #2 and #3 combined. Not to mention the much discussed inability to throw between the hashmarks (which allows the D to not have to defend the entire field) or lead his receivers to allow for YAC. 

I bet that this team is better in terms of points per game (21.0), TOP/drive (2:39), and average opponent starting field position (30.8) this season just as a result of Russel not being the QB. 

now we were 5-3 in 1 score wins last season (we were 5-15 the previous 3 seasons) We can’t bet on the same this season, and I figure a regression towards the mean. I think Sean will have us playing 8-10 close games again despite the lack of talent but we will probably win 4-5 (around .500) of those games. Looking at the schedule I think there are more games we get beat by more than one score than we win by more than one score so I’m guessing a 7-8 win season. But trending up and with more confident play

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

I actually feel okay about our offense. We won't be good but I feel like we bottomed out last year and should turn the corner. We're returning most of our starters, 2nd year in Seans system and a QB that can actually implement it. Instead of V 101, we should be at 201 or maybe 301 of the offense and that would be huge. Have you noticed the size of the WR's we're adding? Those are some big guys. Another bowling ball RB and if our QB does his job our running game could be quite good.

I have no idea what the defense will even look like and not sure VJ does either.  I have no confidence at all in VJ's ability to run our D.

All in all, looks like a long season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I disagree with the bolded. Russ made the rest of the offense worse. His inability to convert on 3rd down was mind-boggling bad. His number of sacks after holding onto the ball longer than 3 seconds was by far the most in the league, almost as many as #2 and #3 combined. Not to mention the much discussed inability to throw between the hashmarks (which allows the D to not have to defend the entire field) or lead his receivers to allow for YAC. 

I bet that this team is better in terms of points per game (21.0), TOP/drive (2:39), and average opponent starting field position (30.8) this season just as a result of Russel not being the QB. 

now we were 5-3 in 1 score wins last season (we were 5-15 the previous 3 seasons) We can’t bet on the same this season, and I figure a regression towards the mean. I think Sean will have us playing 8-10 close games again despite the lack of talent but we will probably win 4-5 (around .500) of those games. Looking at the schedule I think there are more games we get beat by more than one score than we win by more than one score so I’m guessing a 7-8 win season. But trending up and with more confident play

I think losing Russell is a perfect example of "addition by subtraction".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think losing Russell is a perfect example of "addition by subtraction".

I think our offensive line in particular is going to look a lot better than how they’re viewed now. Funny enough that might be our teams biggest strength minus the question mark that center is. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Practically, sure. But Payton has a huge ego and he could make millions as an analyst. He's probably not all that interested in suffering through another 5-6 win season just to build for the future. The fanbase (right or wrong) doesn't have that patience either. Nix will start 12+ games this year I predict. 

Also to your earlier post about experience. I can see it both ways, but I believe one of the predictors of success in the pros has always been the amount of college experience a QB has. Not a hard and fast rule, but I think his experience can only help him

I am not a Payton fan, but this is now multiple posters in this forum who have made comments about how Payton doesn’t need this job and will be ego driven.  I don’t disagree, but hope that isn’t the case, what a terrible hire if that’s how he really is operating. 

In terms of when Nix plays.  My opinion is he sits a year or 75% of the year.  That’s not because it’s Bo Nix, that’s my opinion of pretty much every QB entering the league.  I just don’t see any reason not to or how it hinders development.  Your guy gets a year learning the playbook, a year learning how to be a pro, a year with NFL coaching, a year for the coaches to get to know the player.  

The only draw back to sitting a QB is the heat from the fan base or that a guy like Zach Wilson goes off. 

• Like 1

Sean learned how to manage a locker room and build a culture from Bill Parcells, one of the all time great coaches in NFL history. We saw that last year as he had buy-in and respect from a locker room “led” by a diva QB more interested in his brand than winning games. 

Sean will, no matter what, get the team, however constituted, to play their ***** off. We will be competitive (+/- 7) in at least 13 games. 

They just have to start Nix from day 1. I mean, what can be lost? Sean took him. Sean said this is the guy and they got an orgasmic reaction. If he sucks, he sucks, and we get to move on. But push those chips to the middle is the table. You don’t lose anything by playing a 24 year old rookie who started 61 games and should be prepared. 

• Like 2

I hope Zack Wilson takes it on himself to battle Nix for the #1 spot.  The talent is there if he can get his head right.  And there isn't any one saying he can't be QB1.  I would be a cool dilemma to have if Nix and Wilson were both solid starters. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I hope Zack Wilson takes it on himself to battle Nix for the #1 spot.  The talent is there if he can get his head right.  And there isn't any one saying he can't be QB1.  I would be a cool dilemma to have if Nix and Wilson were both solid starters. 

Zach Wilson could be a hall of famer if he got his head on straight. The kid has insane physical skills. 

That said I’m not betting on it one bit. I just hope Sean doesn’t pussyfoot around and start Stidham which would just be a waste of time. I also don’t see a way the fanbase and media are going to allow it, and Sean doesn’t want to spend every press conference answering for why Nix isn’t starting. 

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Zach Wilson could be a hall of famer if he got his head on straight. The kid has insane physical skills. 

That said I’m not betting on it one bit. I just hope Sean doesn’t pussyfoot around and start Stidham which would just be a waste of time. I also don’t see a way the fanbase and media are going to allow it, and Sean doesn’t want to spend every press conference answering for why Nix isn’t starting. 

As to the bolded, the day Sean starts letting either group affect his decisions he needs to pack his bags.

• Like 4

We are going to be in line for an early defensive stud in the draft I would assume. The Dline prospects next year are great and some really good early projected corners as well. OT could be really strong up top too. Oh am I looking too far ahead in this thread? Can you blame me?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

We are going to be in line for an early defensive stud in the draft I would assume. The Dline prospects next year are great and some really good early projected corners as well. OT could be really strong up top too. Oh am I looking too far ahead in this thread? Can you blame me?

I appreciate a scoundrel trying to get some good steals!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Not really. I think our roster deficiencies will become readily apparent as the year progresses.

• Like 1