The Hafley Defense, Conquering the 49ers, and Ty'Ron Hopper

14 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I'm excited to see all the speed in the middle of the field and excited to see if it comes together. Both the Walker/Cooper and McKinney/Bullard pairing are both potentially amazing pairs of everything works 

We’ll see how long it takes the rookies to get up to speed but I agree the possibility of the young veterans stepping up to a high level combined with the high potential young guys could make those levels of the defense versatile, fast and strong. I really hope we can see Hafley come in with a system that guys can get comfortable in right away. 

I am getting a good laugh at the amount of clairvoyants here that see Haf not only having an amazing year, but so good he gets poached to HC. We haven’t seen a snap of his work but it’s all clear in te crystal ball. At this rate we should have a league best D by week 7 but unfortunately he gets poached by week 10. Truly an incredible trajectory. 

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

We’ll see how long it takes the rookies to get up to speed but I agree the possibility of the young veterans stepping up to a high level combined with the high potential young guys could make those levels of the defense versatile, fast and strong. I really hope we can see Hafley come in with a system that guys can get comfortable in right away. 

I am getting a good laugh at the amount of clairvoyants here that see Haf not only having an amazing year, but so good he gets poached to HC. We haven’t seen a snap of his work but it’s all clear in te crystal ball. At this rate we should have a league best D by week 7 but unfortunately he gets poached by week 10. Truly an incredible trajectory. 

It’s all about balance in an energetic universe. Yin for every Yang. We win the first game while giving up 30 points and the weight shifts to the “Dump Hafley” end of the raft. Enthusiasm and gloom are transitive. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

It’s all about balance in an energetic universe. Yin for every Yang. We win the first game while giving up 30 points and the weight shifts to the “Dump Hafley” end of the raft. Enthusiasm and gloom are transitive. 

I like it, but only with the caveat that it’s the first preseason game. We’re going 20-0 this year and Mardi Gras starts early in New Orleans. 

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

It's slow season.  Got nothing to talk about.  Mine as well dream of a stout Packers Defense.  Yah he hasn't proven anything but I like what I hear.  Aggressive fast D.  A bit of skepticism is warranted after all we've been through the last 15 years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

It's slow season.  Got nothing to talk about.  Mine as well dream of a stout Packers Defense.  Yah he hasn't proven anything but I like what I hear.  Aggressive fast D.  A bit of skepticism is warranted after all we've been through the last 15 years. 

I’m in to it and yes mid June to late July is definitely the deepest of the downtime. I appreciate the optimism at this time  but it’s hilarious when it’s  coupled with anxiety about losing a new unproven coach because he’s going to be too good. A bit too on brand midwestern self deprecation for me, although I recognize it in myself all the time. Anyway, people can spin whatever yarns they want to. In a few short weeks we’ll be talking about real players and how the new guys are looking. I hope to make it to a few practices, it is a great time of the year in GB. 

The lead up to last year (after Rodgers was traded) was so enjoyable.  No real expectations for the season, and when the games started in September, I could just watch and enjoy.

Now I'm back in SB or bust mode, and will probably lose my **** over every miscue.

Stupid Packers.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Packers win the Superbowl and field a top 5 defense.  That might get some teams nibbling.  It's been a long time since we had a decent D.  2010?  Capers.  Just about every starter is going to be a 1st rounder.  Clark, Gary, Wyatt, LVN, Walker, Alexander, Stokes.  Bullard, Cooper 2nd rounders.  D is stacked with talent.  Add in McKinney and Smith.  STACKED.  We'll see if Hafley can get the most out of these guys.  Think it will be a good year for the D.  Top 10

I mean It was 14 years from 1996 to the 2010 championship. Now this season would be 14 years again since we won. I mean, It's practically guaranteed we are winning the super bowl this season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scoremore said:

These trigger words make me smile. Like 'aggressive hard-nosed defense', 'dictate the play', 'tight defense',  'fly to the ball'.

If defense was simple to get right everyone would be doing it. Why would Barry or any other DC, play soft defense ever, if it never won. Aggressive defense can be a sloppy, penalty laden defense, or just giving up big plays to other teams that exploit your tendencies, whereas in a soft defense you tend to get nickle and dimed to death because of the cushion you give up. The key to a defense is balance and the play-caller who succeeds best, has the best feel for when to play off and when to push. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 defense, just one where its hard to know what their plan is, snap by snap.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:55 PM, Uffdaswede said:

I mean, Dave is a glass half full kind of guy even when he doesn't have a glass.

If TJD is anything like me, it doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. I believe we’ll both be having another drink after this one. 

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5626441/2024/07/17/packers-defensive-unit-training-camp/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=212065

Article from the Athletic.  

Everybody loves Hafley, of course.  I've noticed an interesting dichotomy.  

• “I love Jeff,” second-year cornerback Carrington Valentine said. “He pushes us. He tells us the whys, the ins and outs. We’re just not going out there lining up. We’re understanding why we’re doing stuff, and I’m learning a lot.”  So, Valentines says tells us why, ins-and-outs, we're understanding not just lining up.  That would seem to imply using your head and thinking.  
  • The other take is the just-run-play-fast-don't-think take.  "He ain’t gonna make you overthink anything and all that stuff. He just wants you to go out there and have fun and just play 110 miles per hour, and that’s what I love about Hafley".  (Stokes).   
  • Quay on Cooper:  “He’s showing flashes, ... flying around. ... I just tell him: ‘Don’t do no thinking, bro. Just fly around....”
  • May be that "don't do no thinking, bro, just fly around" and "we're understanding why we're doing stuff" are not at cross purposes?  And maybe coaches give both messages to different guys at different times.  For smart guys, you explain the ins and outs and why?  Maybe for less smart guys you just say "don't do no thinking, just fly around."  

2 hours ago, craig said:

May be that "don't do no thinking, bro, just fly around" and "we're understanding why we're doing stuff" are not at cross purposes?  And maybe coaches give both messages to different guys at different times.  For smart guys, you explain the ins and outs and why?  Maybe for less smart guys you just say "don't do no thinking, just fly around."  

I mean for some people if you make the "why" or "how this is supposed to work" thing clear, then that is what they will need in order to do it with minimal thinking.  For other people it's going to be different, but there's no one way to teach everybody.

• Like 2