Raider Offseason Workouts (Rookie minicamp, OTAs & more)

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, I don’t disagree with that, but to harness power you still need leverage. Watch the old videos of Reggie White or Howie Long, perfect example. All the strength in the world means very little if he’s too high, not able to leverage and off balance. 

I’m 6’1 and 230 and I played DE in our little team. Luckily, I was able to get low and was quite explosive when I was younger and I was able time and again to get under much, much bigger tackles and make them look foolish. Leverage is not everything, but it’s a massive, massive advantage and can accentuate the skills and strengths Wilson has got. I wish I’d see better body positioning from him as he’s got huge potential.

I’m not saying he’s a finished product. I’m saying that leverage is more important for a player like him. I’ll grade them on how fast he engages and discards an O-lineman not how he speed rushes. That’s not his game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, I don’t disagree with that, but to harness power you still need leverage. Watch the old videos of Reggie White or Howie Long, perfect example. All the strength in the world means very little if he’s too high, not able to leverage and off balance. 

I’m 6’1 and 230 and I played DE in our little team. Luckily, I was able to get low and was quite explosive when I was younger and I was able time and again to get under much, much bigger tackles and make them look foolish. Leverage is not everything, but it’s a massive, massive advantage and can accentuate the skills and strengths Wilson has got. I wish I’d see better body positioning from him as he’s got huge potential.

This. The get off, mixed with leverage and hand use is how you give yourself a chance on dline. Like they say how would you move a refrigerator? Standing straight up or knees bent using leverage. Hard to stack n shed being vertical (usually without a wide base) cause it eliminates your lower body ability to anchor and generate strength. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, G said:

I like it when players take up yoga. It helps flexability which also might help reduce soft tissue injuries. Not sure about being able to keep excess weight for power. For me,  I saw the excess pounds melt off but my muscles got fuller and I stayed as strong but went from 240 to 220 @ 6'0 The nice thing is there's usually attractive women to motive you to go every week. I was going twice a week before Covid haven't done it much as my gym doesn't offer it since then. 

This or I used to suggest tai chi to improve flexibility to my rbs/wrs. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 10:50 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

This is a combine drill too which is why I kinda frown on guys who don’t participate in the combine drills esp dline. He would’ve got exposed after a few reps in this drill easily 

It was damn near a war crime to take Cle Ferrell Jr over Jalen Carter

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Cle's 13 career sacks don't excite you? 

I still remember people saying he'd be a 6-8 sack a year guy at worst. 

Edited by ronjon1990

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Give him 3 more years of bouncing around the league and @Humble_Beast will be adding him to a list of free agency ready to break out. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'll admit...I was hoping he'd be great against the run and would average 6-8 sacks a season.  I never said that would be his "at worst."  That was me hoping for the best.  Lol.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Give him 3 more years of bouncing around the league and @Humble_Beast will be adding him to a list of free agency ready to break out. 

Hey now, it took Denico Autry until year 7 before he became the force he is today.  Lol.  Too bad we didn't resign him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'll admit...I was hoping he'd be great against the run and would average 6-8 sacks a season.  I never said that would be his "at worst."  That was me hoping for the best.  Lol.

Same here, that's all we could do.lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It’s still very, very early to be saying this.

Tyree could quite easily bust, he was slow off the snap as we all knew he would be, played too high and lacked explosion, agility and body control. Not a great combination for a DE, but he is young, was injured and has probably the best mentor you could have in the NFL in Maxx Crosby. Let’s see what he does this year before we label him a sure bust.

Also, whilst Carter flashed a bit his rookie year, he did tail off significantly and has to prove he has matured and can stay out of trouble. They both could be big busts potentially. I’ll be fascinated to see how they both do their sophomore years………

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Tyree could quite easily bust, he was slow off the snap as we all knew he would be, played too high and lacked explosion, agility and body control. Not a great combination for a DE, but he is young, was injured and has probably the best mentor you could have in the NFL in Maxx Crosby. Let’s see what he does this year before we label him a sure bust.

Also, whilst Carter flashed a bit his rookie year, he did tail off significantly and has to prove he has matured and can stay out of trouble. They both could be big busts potentially. I’ll be fascinated to see how they both do their sophomore years………

Tyree or not, not taking Carter was the only viable option we had.

If Carter stays on the straight and narrow and lights it up, I'd happily throw major money his way at some point. 

But if we selected him that soon after Ruggs, Arnette, etc- this organization would have lost so much more goodwill than it already had.  We had neither the lockerrom nor the coaching staff to mitigate the crucifixion that would have occurred. 

That's a hill I will forever be willing to die on. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Carter flashed elite ability, Tyree looked like a worse version of Cle. Carter could be a top 5 DT in the NFL this year, Tyree probably won’t even be a starter for us. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carter flashed elite ability, Tyree looked like a worse version of Cle. Carter could be a top 5 DT in the NFL this year, Tyree probably won’t even be a starter for us. 

Possibly, probably not. Still too early to tell 😁 I did mock Carter to us so it’s not like I don’t like him as a player, loved his ability, just didn’t like his off field and maturity.

We know Carter was probably the BPA when we picked, but @ronjon1990 is right, that pick given our recent history was just one we couldn’t make.