Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

13 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Original argument was Goff easily being the best QB in the division

Goff is what he is at this point. A game manager who can lead an offense if he has a strong supporting staff. He's not gonna win you games but he will hardly lose them for you if he has a solid OL. 

Love is a potential franchise QB who had an inconsistent 1st year. Not good 1st half, great 2nd half. He has shown the ability to carry an offense and his ceiling is a top 3 QB in the league. 

Comes down to preference, would you rather the safe route or high ceiling? I'll put my chips on the guy who led the youngest team in the league to the playoffs and playoff win his 1st year starting when everyone had written the Packers off.

I respect the homerism but come on man be objective for like 2 seconds. You act like Jordan Love had an MVP level season. They had basically the same season statistically yet one is a potential top 3 QB and the other is a game manager? Is your definition of a game manager anyone who isn't a top 5 QB?

If you want to parse some stats we can do that all day. Here's one for you, Jordan Love had a 75 QB rating in the 4th quarter while Goff had a QB rating of 102. Does that mean Jordan Love is a frontrunner?

• Like 6

On 5/16/2024 at 10:31 AM, StatKing said:

I respect the homerism but come on man be objective for like 2 seconds. You act like Jordan Love had an MVP level season. They had basically the same season statistically yet one is a potential top 3 QB and the other is a game manager? Is your definition of a game manager anyone who isn't a top 5 QB?

If you want to parse some stats we can do that all day. Here's one for you, Jordan Love had a 75 QB rating in the 4th quarter while Goff had a QB rating of 102. Does that mean Jordan Love is a frontrunner?

Can't speak for GB, but you'd think so if judging by Raiders fans lol. 

Goff is one of the QB like Prescott whre he's an above average QB who can be very good when everything is fine. But when things collapse and you need him or when he's in a bad day, there's no chance of reversing it. 

I don't think he' s capable of winning a SB...but he always could bring false hope of winning one.  

49 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Goff is one of the QB like Prescott whre he's an above average QB who can be very good when everything is fine. But when things collapse and you need him or when he's in a bad day, there's no chance of reversing it. 

I don't think he' s capable of winning a SB...but he always could bring false hope of winning one.  

Same was said about Stafford until he had a top 3-5 offense and a top 3 defense.. Plus with Stafford age and past injury's I don't see any chance he takes the Rams back to the SB

• Like 2

Goff is a good QB, but it's jarring how ineffective he becomes when pressured. Lots of QBs are worse with pressure obviously, but he looked like a practice squad QB the last two times he's played the Ravens in LA and DET. Just completely unable to move off his spot and make absolutely anything happen and that's what separates him from the top guys in the league. Fortunately DET has built one hell of an OL around him.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Goff is a good QB, but it's jarring how ineffective he becomes when pressured. Lots of QBs are worse with pressure obviously, but he looked like a practice squad QB the last two times he's played the Ravens in LA and DET. Just completely unable to move off his spot and make absolutely anything happen and that's what separates him from the top guys in the league. Fortunately DET has built one hell of an OL around him.

He doesn’t have 4.2 speed. But when he has protection he can carve you up. 

I hate the argument "He got paid market value".

Not all "franchise" QBs are created equal.   

This is like paying wagyu ribeye prices for a flank steak, and saying "Well, they're both steaks".

Nothing against Goff....but he is a merely solid-good QB in a really good situation, and it annoys me that this league has now gotten to a point where even fringe franchise QBs like Goff get paid on a similar level as ACTUAL top tier QBs.

And before someone calls me a hater or blah blah blah....Im happy for Goff. Good for him.   I just think its bad for the league.

16 minutes ago, 43M said:

This is like paying wagyu ribeye prices for a flank steak, and saying "Well, they're both steaks".

Nothing against Goff....but he is a merely solid-good QB in a really good situation, and it annoys me that this league has now gotten to a point where even fringe franchise QBs like Goff get paid on a similar level as ACTUAL top tier QBs.

And before someone calls me a hater or blah blah blah....Im happy for Goff. Good for him.   I just think its bad for the league.

It's not a great trend, but it's supply and demand.

You don't want the flank steak? Someone else is willing to pay that price. Then you might not have steak at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, General Tso said:

It's not a great trend, but it's supply and demand.

You don't want the flank steak? Someone else is willing to pay that price. Then you might not have steak at all.

Right. But there’s no steak in the world in which Dak can command 60 million. Guys a freaking loser who chokes. He should get 15 mil and be happy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Right. But there’s no steak in the world in which Dak can command 60 million. Guys a freaking loser who chokes. He should get 15 mil and be happy. 

I mean, which team can actually pay that? Kind of crazy amount.

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I mean, which team can actually pay that? Kind of crazy amount.

Trahs cowboys are willing to entertain that. I would rather draft a guy. You know Damm well you’re not making any noise come playoff time. 

On 5/17/2024 at 4:12 PM, MortexLion said:

Same was said about Stafford until he had a top 3-5 offense and a top 3 defense.. Plus with Stafford age and past injury's I don't see any chance he takes the Rams back to the SB

The Rams offense around Goff and Stafford was very similar in 2020/2021 and so we saw that direct comparison, and it obviously heavily favors Stafford. We also saw both Stafford and Goff in Super Bowls where things around them were breaking down - one rose to the occasion and the other did not.

I'm glad Goff has what he has in Detroit and that things have changed there - but that that was ever said about Stafford clearly reflects more on the Lions than Stafford, which people kind of thought all along.

I think we're contenders this year so we'll see.

On 5/18/2024 at 5:11 PM, 43M said:

This has been going on forever. This isn’t some new phenomenon. Rob Johnson and Elvis Grbac got monster contracts for their time. QBs get paid. Mediocre to good ones get paid as well. That’s just the league.