Who had a HOF caliber start to their career but dropped off significantly?

Kiwibrown

Merriman would have been an all-time great if Jeff Fisher didn't decide to ruin his career. Dude had 40 sacks in his first three years and was basically done as an impact player at 24. Oh what could have been.....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Merriman would have been an all-time great if Jeff Fisher didn't decide to ruin his career. Dude had 40 sacks in his first three years and was basically done as an impact player at 24. Oh what could have been.....

The Achilles injury and his steroid usage being found out is what ruined his career. I loved LightsOut as much as anyone, but dude had issues

• Like 5

I'm not a Jets fan, but I can remember having to play Mark Gastineau in a double overtime playoff game in 1986. He was an absolute beast. I'm thankful his late hit on Bernie Kosar ignited a 10 point comback in under five minutes to set up a dramatic double overtime victory. Gastineau was part of the "New York Sack Exchange". Not being a Jets fan, I don't know exactly what happened to clow his career down.

10 hours ago, scar988 said:

The Achilles injury and his steroid usage being found out is what ruined his career. I loved LightsOut as much as anyone, but dude had issues

The Achilles injury came years later when he was effectively done. It was the knee injury he suffered in late 2007 thanks to Kevin Mawee. He played through it, but then missed all of 2008 and was never the same after that. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 8:49 AM, HoboRocket said:

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Justin Jefferson. Lol. He can go on this list after last year.

Jefferson missed 7 games and 3 quarters, had Josh Dobbs, Nick Mullens, and Jaren Hall throwing him the rock in half of those games, and still put up over 1000 yards. Whenever you need a catch at the most crucial time he comes through every single time. The 4th and 18 one-handed catch against Buffalo, the 3rd and 27 conversion against the Lions last year in triple coverage, or the countless clutch catches and being able to hold on to the ball while getting absolutely obliterated are all examples. He has not dropped off at all.

I am nervous about him getting injured again, though, and I hope he never becomes a "what if" because he is one of the top 3 players I've ever seen play for Minny with Moss and AP being the other two, and he may end up being better than both.  

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:03 PM, AP_allday2869 said:

I will go to my grave saying this, but I think Percy Harvin would have been a hall of famer had he not had his issues. I think it would have been a no-brainer if he played in today's game.

He was one of my favorite players ever to watch. Return game, receiving, and hell just lining up in the backfield and running right up the middle he was an absolute problem for the other team 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 11:06 PM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

I believe he became a baseball-only player because of that injury 

He was a shell of himself for those 3 seasons as well. In fact you can combine his numbers from 91 thru 94 (missed 92) and those numbers don't even eclipse his 1989 season. Was a shame watching him struggle to limp his way in for what was typically, a stand up double.

Jackson, just 28 years old, suffered a devastating hip injury during the Raiders' playoff win over the Bengals. The injury ended Jackson's NFL career, and three years later, Jackson hung up his baseball cleats for good.

Edited by Nabbs4u

On 5/22/2024 at 3:33 AM, game3525 said:

What did Jeff do?

Khalil Mack, had a few years where he was just dominant, all-decade team, DPOY but now he is still building his resume using longevity but isn’t a lock at this point.

Ndamakong Suh, very polarizing player that went from game altering early in his career to very good.

Jonathan Vilma, DROY, season tackle leader, SB champ, injuries hit him

DeMeco Ryans, DROY, All-Pro…