Teams you think are overrated or underrated at this point

bomont

Posted (edited)

Overrated:

Bills: I've said this every year of the Allen era and they haven't proven me wrong yet
Jets: People love the idea of Rodgers going out with a bang. If (if) he stays healthy, I can see the playoffs, but this isn't the same Rodgers of old.
Bengals: I think Burrow gets hurt yet again
Colts: Such a trendy pick for a team to "surprise" but their secondary blows and I suspect Richardson either gets hurt again or is too erratic
49ers: Sure they're good, but the SB loser jinx is real and I sense the boat rocking in terms of receivers.

Underrated: 

Jags: Pure hunch. Everyone loves the Texans as the new power in the AFC South and the Colts as a trendy up and comer and are ignoring the Jags.
Vikings: Everyone's writing them off with a rookie QB and I get that, but I can see them winning more than expected.
Panthers: Not saying they'll be good per se, but I see a much improved team with way more upside than last year's model, esp on offense. 
Giants: Just kidding. :)  

Edited by bomont
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Underrated: Green Bay Packers

Regarding hype, they’re getting lost in a division with the NFC runner up (Detroit) and the apple of the NFL’s eye of the NFL Draft (Chicago). GB was the youngest team last year and will be again this year; I see a good number of their youngsters taking a leap.

They have a high floor: their foundation is rock solid (HC, QB, #1 edge rusher, cap, age, building of chemistry).

But even still, their ceiling is very high: with Love having yet more untapped potential and the defense losing their berries (lotta first rounders who could emerge).

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 1

I saw a prediction today that the Chargers were going to go 14-3 and I facepalmed so hard. The Chargers will be improved from last year with new coaching and an actual vision behind player development but to go from top 5 pick to 14 wins is unrealistic.

I just want to see the team in the wild card race late in the season and have some sort of identity to move forward with. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, burlow said:

So we have a new LDT or do you get a pass?

Player being overrated because a player might get hurt = / = team being overrated because their QB who hardly stays healthy and takes tons of sacks might get hurt. 

I’d give him the pass, lol. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I think people are just lazily assuming the Bears will win and that's crazy. Even teams that pick a 1st-overall QB who hits rarely show a lot in year 1.

Yeah, Vegas has the Bears at 8.5 wins and that's absurd.  Like even if Caleb is incredible eventually, he's going to struggle as a first year player.  What you're hoping for with a first year QB (any QB, no matter how highly touted as a prospect) is that the game starts to slow down for him in the back half of the season and you can build on that.

• Like 1

Do the Steelers count? Is anyone out there all that high on them?

I think Pittsburgh misses. Yeah, they’ve got an actual game managing QB and an OC that’s going to run the ball. Moving off of Pickett and going to Russ (or Fields, with his legs) should be a net positive. But I’m pretty lukewarm on Patrick Queen away from Roquan, at least until proven otherwise. Trading Diontae Johnson and replacing him with Van Jefferson isn’t a net positive, I think. Still have questions about their secondary, and have to wonder if Cam Hayward’s finally hit his wall. But mostly?  9-3 in one score games last year (which tend to be volatile and swing back the other way), the hardest schedule this year, and an absolute brutal second half. I know predicting actual bad results (not just below par, I mean bad) from a Mike Tomlin team is basically like predicting the sun won’t rise, but I’m gonna be surprised again if they prove doubters wrong in 2024.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, Vegas has the Bears at 8.5 wins and that's absurd.  

They added a ton of talent to the offense, even aside from Caleb (who, realistically, shouldn’t be worse than Fields/Bagent). Keenan Allen actually had his most productive season. Swift is coming off a great season. Added Rome in the draft. Added a solid receiving TE in Everett. 

Clearing 8.5 would mean, after adding tons of talent (while not losing much) + upgrading at QB, getting two more wins from the 3rd weakest schedule in the league. The volatility of one score games (Bears were 2-6) alone should indicate that they should swing positively off of 7 wins.

• Like 3

Overrated:

Falcons - I think they will win that division, but only because of that division. I think they would be in third place at best in any of the other NFC divisions

Bills - they lost some guys and I think that's going to cause a bit of regression - I think they are now a full tier below Kansas City and Baltimore, but a lot places seem to have them closer to those two or in with them

Bears - their win total is the same as my Rams which is WILD to me

Cowboys - I think they will still be good, but I also think that playoff game will leave some scars

Underrated:

Bengals - the variable is Burrow's injury, but if he stays healthy it would not be a surprise at all to see them in the AFCCG again

Chargers - this one will be divisive, and I don't think they have a shot to win that division - but IMO with Harbaugh they are a playoff lock this year, and a lot will have them with a losing record

Cardinals - I think they have a real shot to be a playoff team this year - they were competitive all season and bolstered their roster - if Murray stays healthy all year, I think they will win 9-10 games

Rams - a lot of power rankings have us between 10-14, and that blows me away. We finished the second half better than any team in the league and while we didn't win a playoff game, we played Detroit close to straight up in one of the most hostile playoff environments in NFL history. We upgraded the roster in several areas and have a lot of young ascending players

• Like 2

i agree that the jaguars seem to be the forgotten team in the AFC south. some of that is due to their dreadful, hugely disappointing finish to last year, certainly, but they've got the talent to have a punchers' chance at the division and they massively upgraded at DC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

i agree that the jaguars seem to be the forgotten team in the AFC south. some of that is due to their dreadful, hugely disappointing finish to last year, certainly, but they've got the talent to have a punchers' chance at the division and they massively upgraded at DC. 

To be fair, the totality of the AFCS (sans Manning's Colts) is just an appendage to the greater NFL. 

4 hours ago, Duluther said:

Underrated: Green Bay Packers

Regarding hype, they’re getting lost in a division with the NFC runner up (Detroit) and the apple of the NFL’s eye of the NFL Draft (Chicago). GB was the youngest team last year and will be again this year; I see a good number of their youngsters taking a leap.

They have a high floor: their foundation is rock solid (HC, QB, #1 edge rusher, cap, age, building of chemistry).

But even still, their ceiling is very high: with Love having yet more untapped potential and the defense losing their berries (lotta first rounders who could emerge).

I see the Packers consistently being listed in the top 4 of the NFC. Is that really underrated?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I think people are just lazily assuming the Bears will win and that's crazy. Even teams that pick a 1st-overall QB who hits rarely show a lot in year 1.

The #1 overall pick QB seldom goes to a team that is A) not the worst team in the NFL, and B) as solid at offensive skill positions as the Bears are.  Don't forget, that despite the Bears terrible start to the year last year, they were still technically contending for a playoff spot until pretty late in the season.  I think some people are probably overhyping the Bears and saying they are favorites for the division, which I would agree is extreme. The Bears were already a 7 win team last year, and have done more than almost any other team this offseason to get better.  I'd bet they are in the 9-10 win range, angling for a wildcard spot, fighting with GB for #2 in the division behind Detroit.  

• Like 5