TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

3 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Is that supposed to be like a "hangover cure", a "prove you can/mess with the new guy" drink, or do people actually try to pretend they like it?

It’s a bit of all of that. I’ve had it, definitely cleared the sinuses amongst other things. There are worse things and yes, Malort is one. 

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Can't be any worse than Malort. 

Malort is something that I would advise everyone to try... once.  You don't have to tell me that you don't want any more.  But you only die once, why not tempt fate?

That said, my cousin is from Chicago.  He is getting married in January.  I am going to do my best to gift them some Malort for their wedding.  Obviously, I will get them something better, but FIBs deserve a little ribbing now and then.

I had a dream last night that Quentin Tarantino was at my house and we were hanging out in the studio. I was flipping through albums trying to pick something to play in the background while we chatted. He started looking through my collection and saw that I had The Moody Blues so he chose that record. He was impressed but I was just happy to be in the same room as him.

Unfortunately, my alarm went off before we really got a chance to talk. Such an oddly random yet specific dream lol. 

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Can't be any worse than Malort. 

I'm a few credits short of my degree in gastroenterology, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'd think a shot of bitters could cause some serious stomach issues while Malort would mostly just do damage to your taste buds. 

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

I'm a few credits short of my degree in gastroenterology, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'd think a shot of bitters could cause some serious stomach issues while Malort would mostly just do damage to your taste buds. 

Actually bitters is a digestif. I've known people who say a good ounce is a solid hangover cure. Don't know how downing multiple shots would make you feel, but one won't hurt you.

The process for making bitters is pretty much the same as the process for making aquavit or vermouth.  Some flavors are alcohol soluble, so you can infuse alcohol with those flavors just by steeping it. 

You can make knockoff angostura by putting 1/4c chopped raisins, 2 tbsp dried orange peel, 2 tbsp gentian root chips, 2 tbsp dried mugwort, 8 green cardamom pods, 10 allspice berries (crushed), and 4 cloves in a jar; then cover it with 2 cups of 100 proof vodka and store it in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks shaking periodically.  Strain it, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible, then put it in a clean jar and add 1 ounce of simple syrup.

You just probably don't have gentian root and mugwort in the pantry because they are very bitter, hence the name.

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You don't like raisins?

Put the water back in them and they're fine. Otherwise I'll just eat a skittle.

I generally don't have fruit in my home. I work on the road so it'd just be a mold pile by the weekend