Who isn't going to the SB this year?

bomont

On 6/11/2024 at 9:02 PM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Add the Dolphins. They're gonna be awful in the trenches this season.

Are they? Zach Sieler is pretty good, Calais Campbell usually is good but he's old, Chubb/Jaelen Phillips/Shaq Barrett could pull a good year out of the trio.

Edit: to make the post relevant to the thread PHI/SF/GB/NOLA/DET are the NFC teams I could see making it. KC/BUF/BAL/PIT(would take a hell of a turn around from their QBs)/LAC(everything has to click right and huge years from Bosa/Mack) for AFC, but I think I'd be cool just listing the first three AFC teams as having a SB shot. I'd also list CLE if Chubb was fully healthy, but heavy doubt.

Edited by Trojan

I would like to place a bet on answering this question correctly.

Finally some odds I can get behind.

I remember infamously the Chicago Tribune (back when everyone read newspapers) did like a 3 or 4 full page layout on why Tiger Woods couldn't win the Master's (due to lack of experience mainly).  They were playing odds and trying to be smart.  

Then he went out and won it by like 17 strokes.  It was hilarious.

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2024 at 6:04 PM, Armbar said:

He certainly is the hold-up with this roster. Cleveland has no holes along its roster if Watson is decent. And he actually had some very strong games last year. His last game before injury he dropped 30+ on the best defense in the NFL. I'm not really counting on him being good, but he was improving pretty rapidly last year before his injury. He's not good, but if you're using Watson as the reason the Browns aren't going to be in the SB, there are at least 4-5 other teams not on your list that have worse QB's.

Debatable, but yeah if - and it's a big if - he can be even respectable, it's reasonable to say they have a shot. But.......... 

Ok, that's fine if you believe that. But the Lions are also equally cursed and didn't make your "no chance" list. There are no curses. 

The Lions didn't make the list because they are really talented, for once have a good coach, and came within a whisker of the SB. If the Browns ever do that, I'll take them off the "no way" list. No curses sounds very logical on the surface...and yet........

Edited by bomont

On 6/16/2024 at 10:03 AM, DawgX said:

So you honestly think teams like the Cardinals and Raiders have a better shot at making it to the Super Bowl?

Excellent counterpoint. I add the Raiders to that list, but not quite the Cards. If Murray stays healthy and Harrison is all that, stranger things have happened. Remember it was just a few years ago they were in fact a playoff team and considered a legit contender.

On 6/17/2024 at 6:04 PM, Armbar said:

He certainly is the hold-up with this roster. Cleveland has no holes along its roster if Watson is decent. And he actually had some very strong games last year. His last game before injury he dropped 30+ on the best defense in the NFL.

The defense had as many points as Watson did in that game. Both were out scored by the kicker. That wasn’t a “very strong” game.

15 hours ago, bomont said:

Remember it was just a few years ago they were in fact a playoff team and considered a legit contender.

Uhhh yeah. With pretty myvh zero of the current roster they have now aside from Murray (who looks as bad as Watson did) and Budda Baker. And middling in his prime DJ Humphries.

I am going to guess you didn’t watch them play at all last year. They were one of the least talented teams Ive ever seen on the field. They have no shot

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Teams with absolutely no shot?  I'd say Carolina, New England, Washington, Arizona, NYG, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Minnesota, Denver, and Chicago.  I think everybody else has at least a plausible scenario in which they win multiple playoff games.

I think Chicago stands a crazy slight chance. If Williams balls out the likes of which we haven’t seen, they could do it. But I think he’s gonna be good, not elite in the pros, so DOUBT…but not 0%. 

1 minute ago, Armbar said:

I think Chicago stands a crazy slight chance. If Williams balls out the likes of which we haven’t seen, they could do it. But I think he’s gonna be good, not elite in the pros, so DOUBT…but not 0%. 

I think we can rule out Chicago because rookie QBs *always* struggle and they play in a division with 2 teams that are clearly have more talent than they do.  Like it's possible that Williams has a "post-bye of the season turnaround" a la CJ Stroud, but their last 8 games feature all 6 divisional games, the 49ers, and the Seahawks which I think shuts the door.

The Bears I think should be aiming for the 2025 season.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think we can rule out Chicago because rookie QBs *always* struggle 

Some do, some don't.  Even Mac Jones made the postseason as a rookie.  

I'm not as high on Caleb Williams as others, but his potential is sky-high and he's got a lot of talented guys around him.  Given how subpar the NFC is at the QB position, would it really be that surprising if he was a top-3 NFC QB this year?  Especially when you consider at least 1 or 2 dudes will go down with injury.  And Bears D showed a lot of improvement over the second half of the season.

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I'm not as high on Caleb Williams as others, but his potential is sky-high and he's got a lot of talented guys around him.

Exactly.  Rookie QBs do struggle but most of them do so with worse teams than the current Chicago, Atlanta, Minnesota, and, to stretch the point, Washington, New England, and Denver squads.  (Witness Bryce Young.  Some early Fantasy mocks have the first Panther going near the end of the seventh round!)  At the same time, if/when any of these 6 QBs fail they'll bear the brunt of the blame (i.e. even more than usual).

• Like 1