Training Camp Thread

Just a few observations.  The major one is that GB didn't play one starter and sat 31 of their best. 

Nix looked great. Looks like the team plays well for him, i loved our defensive effort but once again, GB sat their top 31 players.

Stidham looked fine. hard to tell with Wilson. I only saw a bit on highlights but I think we might have seen more bubble players on the OL than usual. Maybe a last look. Just a lot of numbers I didn't recognize. Hopefully @lomaxgrUK can shed a bit of light there.

Seems like every team takes a different approach to the 3 game preseason. Used to be game 3 was the dress rehearsal with game 4 for final cuts and bubble players. Now, who knows? 

I think we used a good part of it for last looks at bubble players, something usually saved for the last week. I'm just really curious about what we do in the next week and our last preseason game.

Anyway, what did we learn? Well, we're a far better team than GB's minus their best 31.

• Like 1

Another strong outing for Nix. The backups / vanilla Defense certainly played a factor.

This preseason I have found myself having thoughts that, in truth, I usually associate with lazy analysis. The main two being:

- "Bo Nix just passes the eye test, doesn't he?"
- "This team just looks tough and physical"

If I had the time I would put more meat on the bone. I really think both of these two things are true, and hopefully smarter people on the internet will be able to provide video evidence.

Obvious caveat that this is preseason. We know it is. We've seen this one before with the team playing well this time of year, only to suck when it matters. But being hopeful is what makes this league so good.

Other things that jumped out from watching the game on 40 min watch (i.e no replays):

- Backup OL went back to playing, like, well, backups
- Throckmorton getting the nod is a definite sign. Not good for Sherman's hope of a roster spot
- 1st team DL feasted on the Packers backups. I really hope that JFM and Allen combo on 3rd down looks that good in the season
- Riley Moss clearly working as the #2 CB and the Packers went after him. I'd get used to seeing that
- Singleton had a monster game when he was in. His play goes hand-in-hand with the performance of the interior DL in those early downs

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

Excited for Nix. I was a big Nix guy in this draft and thought a lot of the talk around him was nonsense. He's everything I loved watching at Oregon. In control, confident while quickly making reads. I always thought he had the arm talent despite Oregon gimmicky offense, you're seeing that. Smart, picked up yet another offense quickly. 

I wonder how high his ceiling is, but he's the day 1 starter I envisioned him being. Good luck this season. Truly think Bo is going to take your team further this year than expected. 

Also.... the new uniforms are truly awful. How long before these can be changed? 

• Like 2

Went to the preseason game last night and have more general insights through my whiskey/beer goggles haha.

Ellis continues to make big plays for us and has flashed at least twice in both games. I like that Moss is starting to get in on some plays too.

Yes we are playing against second teamers but we are carving em up w nix. What I take from this is we should be significantly better against the bad teams in this league, which we have quite a few on our schedule. It makes me more confident we can get the wins we are "supposed to get" just cause Bo is so good at running the offense on time and with anticipation

The final thing is just the buzz I felt in the crowd and with the fans I talked with. So many of us stayed till the end just for the reason of basking in a team that can score and was playing for each other. It really was a palpable culture shift that everyone was sharing in and i'm here for it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Also.... the new uniforms are truly awful. How long before these can be changed? 

In a vacuum, they’re fine, but they just look too much like a different team (a Bears-Bengals hybrid imo). They don’t look like the Broncos. 

• Like 3

To me, this team is looking like one with a higher floor than I expected, but also a terribly low ceiling. There’s a pretty good base line of talent across the board (not to mention a very quality coaching staff) which should keep us in most games throughout the season. But who are the gameplan-busters? If a defence resolves to eliminate Sutton, can he overcome that to still make an impact? Who’s the front 7 player creating mismatches? QB question aside, we’re missing 2-3 pro bowl caliber players from a real SB contender. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

To me, this team is looking like one with a higher floor than I expected, but also a terribly low ceiling. There’s a pretty good base line of talent across the board (not to mention a very quality coaching staff) which should keep us in most games throughout the season. But who are the gameplan-busters? If a defence resolves to eliminate Sutton, can he overcome that to still make an impact? Who’s the front 7 player creating mismatches? QB question aside, we’re missing 2-3 pro bowl caliber players from a real playoff contender.

FIFY

• Like 1

Bo Nix is getting a lot of plaudits and rightly so, but Jonah Elliss looks so polished for such a young player. You don't see edge players play the run like him so early very often. 

That 3rd and 5 run stuff - yeeeeeesh.

Edit - found it.

https://x.com/FrankiesFilm/status/1825590321360617811?t=-0ckBn41iJPlml1iFzKXdQ&s=19

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am the only person on planet earth that seems to absolutely love them.

Wild... this last combination with the matte navy helmet looked terrible. Maybe a white helmet could have salvaged the look, but they are an eyesore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Bo Nix is getting a lot of plaudits and rightly so, but Jonah Elliss looks so polished for such a young player. You don't see edge players play the run like him so early very often. 

That 3rd and 5 run stuff - yeeeeeesh.

Edit - found it.

https://x.com/FrankiesFilm/status/1825590321360617811?t=-0ckBn41iJPlml1iFzKXdQ&s=19

I've been REALLY impressed by him. And doing it as a young 21 year old... If he can keep developing, he has an opportunity to be an incredible player. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Nah. I think we’ll contend for a playoff spot this season. By that I mean we will be playing meaningful football in December. Will we get in? Maybe, many not. But we will be in the conversation for a wild card spot

I’m somewhere in between. I think we’re roughly a 6 win team, but in a lot of close games. With some one-possession-game luck, we win 8-9 games and are playing meaningful football in December. But it would require luck. A couple of game breakers though? Like a WR1 and EDGE1? Then you can expect some of those big plays late in games to go your way, and be an 11 win team. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Wild... this last combination with the matte navy helmet looked terrible. Maybe a white helmet could have salvaged the look, but they are an eyesore. 

I really liked the matte blue helmet but not the rest of the uni