Training Camp Thread

I’ll tell you I was a skeptic of the pick when we made it, but Nix is most certainly the QB Sean wants and from the very limited, and best said, very asterisk’d, sample we’ve seen I can see why.

Sean has incorporated into his quick read offense a lot of P/A in the preseason. That cuts the field in half for reads (something you want to do with a young QB, and something Kyle has done a lot of with Purdy), and Nix has been able to execute it very well. That puts him a step ahead of most rookies but it’s also something you’d expect from a 24 year old with 61 college starts who is a coach’s son. His poise and his processing are top level for a rookie. 

Like @Broncofan I have to see a lot more before I can be convinced he has a Super Bowl ceiling, but he can certainly do what Sean has asked and has passed the tests so far. The importance of having a QB who can do what the HC/OC wants cannot be understated in the modern NFL. 

• Like 1

I’m cautiously optimistic. The kid has played well, and better than the others, by far. 
I remember Elways first start, and this kid is way ahead. By no means am I saying he’s better. Just further ahead at a younger age. Will be fun to see how this plays out. Given our cap issues, Nix as the rookie starter, and just how unpredictable any NLF season can shake out, I’m gonna be grabbing some popcorn. 

2 hours ago, copeland said:

I’m cautiously optimistic. The kid has played well, and better than the others, by far. 
I remember Elways first start, and this kid is way ahead. By no means am I saying he’s better. Just further ahead at a younger age. Will be fun to see how this plays out. Given our cap issues, Nix as the rookie starter, and just how unpredictable any NLF season can shake out, I’m gonna be grabbing some popcorn. 

I still remember how awful Elway was in his first season. That was so bad. A pingpong ball between he and DeBerg.

Anyway, I'm with you, cautiously optimistic.  We have maybe the best QB coaching group around a rookie there's ever been. Naturally Sean, but Pete Carmichael, Joe Lombardi and then Davis Webb learning from the three of them. 

It's a proven offense, our OL is better than average and we can put together a good running game. We seem to have more #2 WR's than any team in the league but probably the best blocking group in the NFL. Lots of really big guys that'll decleat you in the running game but also win most contestable balls thrown their way. 

Still not sure about our TE's but they'll get plenty of work in this offense and there's lots of potential there.  I think we have a pretty special RB group but we'll see.

I really hate starting rookie QB's in the first game of the season. Historically it's just been a bad move. That said, I can't imagine a better situation for a rookie to start. Bo exceeds the physical thresholds (thanks for that@broncos_fan _from _uk). watching him I think he's special in pocket awareness and presence, accuracy and quick release. Just not much time between "**** and shoot". 

We'll just have to see. On another note, I think the general upbeat feeling is alot like the Ralston affect we had 50 years ago. Finally, a direction, a path forward. John never got us to the playoffs but he turned this franchise around and made it relevant. Seans doing the same!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I still remember how awful Elway was in his first season. 

i remember too! i was living an hour north of Denver and man, does that area love the Broncos.

they were in shellshock at his interception rate.

Zach Wilson is clearly a better QB than Stidham. If that was the only factor in making the roster, he’d be in. But the roster spot isn’t for the best QB, it’s for who will be the better backup. I’m guessing they’re mainly being judged on things we can’t see. 

• Like 1

The only reason I could think of for Wilson to get basically the whole game is we were thinking about cutting him. So happy for the dude though cause if that was the case, he showed he belongs. Just nice to see him smile and gain confidence.

Separately, estime has his best game imo. Troy franklin had a great rollout run play that looked Deebo-esc so maybe he could carve out that role. Some great defense plays from our guys.

Also can we talk about these scores?! I don't care if it's preseason, this is fun af!

When the OL wasn’t melting down with penalties and pass pro whiffs, every offensive group this preseason did pretty much whatever it wanted. Can’t say it’s worth too much but it does look like there is a lot more comfort in Payton’s scheme this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Zach Wilson is clearly a better QB than Stidham. If that was the only factor in making the roster, he’d be in. But the roster spot isn’t for the best QB, it’s for who will be the better backup. I’m guessing they’re mainly being judged on things we can’t see. 

If you wanted to get a guy who had potential to improve and be the starter down the road.....Wilson is so clearly the choice over Stidham.

Here's the tough part, though - Zach Wilson needs snaps and reps to develop more.   He's not getting those with Bo Nix as our starter.     So while he's literally miles ahead of Stidham ceiling-wise, he's also a terrible choice to be the #2 if the job description is to come in cold off the bench when needed.   If the role of the #2 is to step in and play on short notice, and give a chance for the team to be functional right away, Wilson's pretty much a guy who will struggle hard in that role at this stage of his career.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the higher-ceiling guys as the backup, simply because you're one big hit or weird misstep from a season-ending injury.    But for coaching staffs that want to win games, they may go with the guy who can step onto the field without having taken a single snap with the 1's that week.   I suspect the staff will see Stidham as that guy.    That's how we end up with 15-20 career backup guys that have no hope of being an actual consideration even as a stopgap starter, but carve out 5-8+ year careers in the league as perennial backups.    It wouldn't shock me at all to see this happen with us here, given Payton & co. care more about winning now, than developing a 2 guy.

Edited by Broncofan