Jets DE Haason Reddick not reporting to camp over his contract

Steelersfan43

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Think both parties involved kinda shot themselves in the foot hear personally. If Reddick really wasn't going to on his current deal he shouldn't have told the Jets he would regardless of what leverage he thought he might have. Likewise the Jets gambling on Reddick actually playing on his current deal when he clearly was only motivated by getting a new one seems extremely optimistic. 

Definitely think the lol Jets stuff is warranted here even if they were lied to.

I mean, if this were Antonio Brown giving him their word that he’s going to come and be a team player, then I’d agree. I don’t see anything clear that’s happened before this to cause any legitimate concern that a guy saying he’ll come in and play on the deal, is just lying.

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Reddick has skipped out on everything with this team and has not been seen since his presser and then expects them to bow down to him? Jets should refuse to trade him and just let him sit out for the year racking up fines. He'll be 31 after this season with the Jets retaining rights and will never recover that money. 

His mistake is not being one of Aaron’s friends, lol.

If he sits (doubtful), it won’t be for the whole season. He’ll come back midseason to accrue the season. Or better yet, he’ll have a sore back or tight hamstring and collect the the full year’s salary, if he’s smart (questionable). 

My bet is he plays this year and then walks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

And the Jets can refuse to trade him, let him rack up fines. He can be 31 by the time the Jets "trade him" and he'll never make up the money he lost after sitting out a year.  Anyone who thinks this is smart is bad with numbers. 

Definitely. And the Jets will be a worse off team in 2024 relying on Will McDonald and Michael Clemons because the GM took a player at his word rather than negotiating before the trade. Both parties suffer… YAY

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

It was a verbal agreement between the Jets and Reddick/Reddick's agent that he would play on his current deal to start and then the Jets would extend him during the season. After the trade, Reddick reneged on the deal for whatever reason and now we're here.

My guess is he thought he could say whatever to get the trade through and then try to use it as leverage against the Jets. If so, I hope JD tells him to pound sand and just sits on his contract.

Lesson learned to get this stuff in writing……for both sides.  Probably a dumb decision for the Jets to make the deal if he wasn’t willing to accept that offer, or negotiating still left them short.  

This is an ugly one.  

5 hours ago, Soko said:

I mean, if this were Antonio Brown giving him their word that he’s going to come and be a team player, then I’d agree. I don’t see anything clear that’s happened before this to cause any legitimate concern that a guy saying he’ll come in and play on the deal, is just lying.

Just going to have a hard time convincing me it was ever smart to trade for the guy without having a deal hammered out... Regardless of what he said coming into it. I don't think Reddick is a bad guy, but if his agent told him to play his cards like this he is going to listen.

Everyone knew he wanted a new deal. The only reason he isn't playing for the Eagles this year is because he was going to be a huge headache without a new deal. The Jets offered him an extension and he said no. They still traded for him. Regardless of what he said or didn't say that just seems pretty dumb to me.

In all likelihood he will show up and play eventually, but it is gunna be ugly. The guy should be learning a new defense right now, but he is sitting at home requesting a trade.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

41 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Just going to have a hard time convincing me it was ever smart to trade for the guy without having a deal hammered out... Regardless of what he said coming into it. I don't think Reddick is a bad guy, but if his agent told him to play his cards like this he is going to listen.

Everyone knew he wanted a new deal. The only reason he isn't playing for the Eagles this year is because he was going to be a huge headache without a new deal. The Jets offered him an extension and he said no. They still traded for him. Regardless of what he said or didn't say that just seems pretty dumb to me.

In all likelihood he will show up and play eventually, but it is gunna be ugly. The guy should be learning a new defense right now, but he is sitting at home requesting a trade.

I just think saying “regardless of what may or may not have been said” is a kind of disingenuous way of looking at it. NYJ made their contract offer, he said no, and they were fine with going through with the trade as a one year rental. He was fine with it then (reportedly). That’s a big detail.

Anyone could hold out, at any point. Nothing is stopping any single player from skipping camp and publicly requesting a trade. The only assurance a team has of anyone not doing that is their conversations.

Given that it was agreed on both parties would be cool with a one year rental situation, I just don’t see how anyone but Reddick is viewed as the bad party here (even “bad” I use loosely, dude should get his money).

On 8/12/2024 at 4:42 PM, Soko said:

His mistake is not being one of Aaron’s friends, lol.

If he sits (doubtful), it won’t be for the whole season. He’ll come back midseason to accrue the season. Or better yet, he’ll have a sore back or tight hamstring and collect the the full year’s salary, if he’s smart (questionable). 

My bet is he plays this year and then walks.

Aaron said he is going to contact him to talk.

I believe he will eventually show up and the Jets will negotiate something at the minimum giving him more money this season. Teams hung up on the Eagles when they heard what he wanted. He won't find a suitor as easily as he thinks.  Teams aren't throwing out mega money to a 30 year old DE.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The next obvious move:

Reddick suffers hamstring injury in first practice with Jets

Then hurts his chances at getting paid when he puts zero production up and is 31 next season.  If you want to get paid $25 mil per, you probably should want to have a 16 sack season. 

Edited by NYJets4716

20 hours ago, Soko said:

I just think saying “regardless of what may or may not have been said” is a kind of disingenuous way of looking at it. NYJ made their contract offer, he said no, and they were fine with going through with the trade as a one year rental. He was fine with it then (reportedly). That’s a big detail.

I think that's a bold face lie by the media and or Jets FO. If Hassan was fine playing on the last year of the deal from the jump...., He'd still be a Philadelphia Eagle.

At No Point do I believe it was ever agreed upon, I'd play for that salary in 2024!!!

Could he have said I'll show up to OTA's/TC if a deal for whatever the GD reason isn't reached way before then, sure. 

The fact a deal wasn't reached or agreed upon before the trade occurred, Falls squarely and entirely on Joe Douglas's shoulders. 

None if this is on Reddick,  sorry!

Edited by Nabbs4u

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think that's a bold face lie by the media and or Jets FO. If Hassan was fine playing on the last year of the deal from the jump...., He'd still be a Philadelphia Eagle.

At No Point do I believe it was ever agreed upon, I'd play for that salary in 2024!!!

Could he have said I'll show up to OTA's/TC if a deal for whatever the GD reason isn't reached way before then, sure. 

The fact a deal wasn't reached or agreed upon before the trade occurred, Falls squarely and entirely on Joe Douglas's shoulders. 

None if this is on Reddick,  sorry!

As much as I often find nabbs to be bombastic and sometimes ridiculous, he's entirely right, right now. Eagles are trying to win right now, they would've held onto Reddick if he would've played out this year.

• Like 1