Jets DE Haason Reddick not reporting to camp over his contract

Steelersfan43

19 minutes ago, Soko said:

Plenty of assumptions in this post without much backing it. Reportedly a new deal for Judon isn’t imminent, and isn’t close.

The only substantial difference here is that, although Judon’s been a malcontent, he’s been practicing in NE. Reddick was traded for in the offseason, so obviously the only thing the Jets had to work with as far as commitment goes was whatever talks they had with him. Other than that, both teams traded for pass rushers without a deal, that have been vocal about not being happy in their current contracts and wanting a new deal.

Any guarantee about conversations that did/didn’t happen between one party and not the other is worth about the amount we paid for it. Zilch.

So you post about "assumptions" then make your entire post doing exactly that, assuming?

Do you have confirmation there were no pre-trade communications between Atlanta and Judon's camp before the trade? We're you present or on the phone during trade negotiations?  See that's called assuming too. 

You are "assuming" whatever pre-trade talks Reddick had with the Jets FO involved what it would take to make him happy as a Jet? I guarantee you (not rocket science here) numbers were never ever discussed back in March. Had they been discussed in any type of fashion and Reddicks camp made it clear I want upwards of $25M+, paid like the top 5 passer I have been the past 4 years, this trade never occurs. Howie Roseman was already aware of this! Hence why he was trading him in the first place!

Given the Reddick situation that's transpired over the past few months and non stop media coverage it would be absolutely asinine for Atlanta to trade for yet another disgruntled player looking for a pay day "without" some semblance of a conversation with Judon or / his Agent as to what will it take to get him in uniform and happy? That's called having common sense in the 11th hour from a competent FO. 

Then again I guess you actually got me there though because thats assuming on my part that the Falcons FO is even competent in the first place? 🥃

19 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So you post about "assumptions" then make your entire post doing exactly that, assuming?

Do you have confirmation there were no pre-trade communications between Atlanta and Judon's camp before the trade? We're you present or on the phone during trade negotiations?  See that's called assuming too. 

Wait, what? 

You said you bet they had contract talks and bet that a deal is done soon. That’s an assumption. Me saying that that’s an assumption…is not an assumption, lmao.  I’m not assuming the opposite is true, I’m saying what you said it based off of nothing but your own random belief.

What I said was that a new deal was reportedly not close, and not imminent. Separate sources said that, specifically. That’s not an assumption either, it’s what was actually reported. Of course not everything that’s put out there is always accurate/comes to fruition, but it’s at least information from people a part of/knowledgeable of the situation. Not your “guarantee”.

You are "assuming" whatever pre-trade talks Reddick had with the Jets FO involved what it would take to make him happy as a Jet? I guarantee you (not rocket science here) numbers were never ever discussed back in March. Had they been discussed in any type of fashion and Reddicks camp made it clear I want upwards of $25M+, paid like the top 5 passer I have been the past 4 years, this trade never occurs. Howie Roseman was already aware of this! Hence why he was trading him in the first place!

I don’t know and don’t care. Never commented on whether or not that happened or didn’t. My comments on Reddick have always centered around the report that there was an agreement that the contract would be worked on later on as long as Reddick reported, and he didn’t.

Given the Reddick situation that's transpired over the past few months and non stop media coverage it would be absolutely asinine for Atlanta to trade for yet another disgruntled player looking for a pay day "without" some semblance of a conversation with Judon or / his Agent as to what will it take to get him in uniform and happy? That's called having common sense in the 11th hour from a competent FO. 

I don’t know whether that conversation did or didn’t happen. Until something comes out, I won’t assume either way.

The Jets traded for a pass rusher. The pass rusher wanted a new deal. The pass rusher is now a malcontent with the team, and people ITT are bashing the Jets for trading him without a deal in place. 

The Falcons traded for a pass rusher. The pass rusher wants a new deal. The pass rusher has been a malcontent with his old team, and I just want to see what what mental gymnastics are used to say what the Falcons did was okay. In your case, those mental gymnastics are pretending to know intricacies of their contract negotiations. 

Then again I guess you actually got me there though because thats assuming on my part that the Falcons FO is even competent in the first place? 🥃

Lol.

I don’t think either FO deserves flak. Both teams more or less made the move understanding that it could be a one-year rental. You can’t trade for a one year rental with any guarantee that the player won’t hold out, skip practices, be a malcontent, etc. Hell, we’ve seen players with 2+ years left on their contract holdout too (Trent Williams). I don’t think a team should restrain themselves from acquiring talent on their football team on account of “well he could be lying and might holdout on us” (barring instances where you bring in known head cases). 

• 1 month later...

I mean, isn't Reddick's plan to report so that he gets the accrued year and then become a free agent next year so he can choose which team he goes to? He's trying to get one last nice payday and is being underpaid for the market as is. Can someone explain why he's so dumb for stirring the pot in order to either get extended, assuming he wants that from the Jets, or force them to cut him? 

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I mean, isn't Reddick's plan to report so that he gets the accrued year and then becomes a free agent next year so he can choose which team he goes to? He's trying to get one last nice payday and is being underpaid for the market as is. Can someone explain why he's so dumb for stirring the pot on order to either get extended, assuming he wants that from the Jets, or force them to cut him? 

Right now he's lost about 7-8 million and is on track to lose about 21 million off his current contract by holding out. I certainly wouldn't call it stupid since I don't know his reasons and they might be as simple as, "I don't want to play right now."

Once again I'm not entirely sure, but I think the cap ramifications of cutting Reddick are so low that it's almost pointless to do so. 750k ish.

If I'm Reddick and the reasons are all contractual I'd be worried that the fines are building up and I'd be worried that the market on my future contract is significantly reduced. I'd be looking at other players that tried to sit for a year due to contract dispute and I'd be more worried.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Right now he's lost about 7-8 million and is on track to lose about 21 million off his current contract by holding out. I certainly wouldn't call it stupid since I don't know his reasons and they might be as simple as, "I don't want to play right now."

Once again I'm not entirely sure, but I think the cap ramifications of cutting Reddick are so low that it's almost pointless to do so. 750k ish.

If I'm Reddick and the reasons are all contractual I'd be worried that the fines are building up and I'd be worried that the market on my future contract is significantly reduced. I'd be looking at other players that tried to sit for a year due to contract dispute and I'd be more worried.

Honestly I think he's just stubborn & thinks the Jets will eventually cave. It's not uncommon for penalties to be pardoned as part of a new deal.

Still, he's playing a risky game as you pointed out, and it could easily backfire by reducing the amount a team would be willing to pay for him on the open market. He'll also have to report before November 12th to avoid his contract from tolling, so the closer we get to this date the less leverage he's going to have and the more the Jets will have.

I'd expect him to report sometime in early November, ultimately.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Reddick isn’t dumb. He wants his money and this is the way he feels he can get it. Imagine he come back and get hurt on his first snap. 

Yes he is. He is losing money he will never get back and is losing value. There is no benefit in holding out this long. He is going to be a 31 year old pass rusher who had 0 sacks in 2024 trying to get a big contract? Yeah ok. 

His agents told him to show up, his family and friends are telling him to show up.