Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

22 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm happy with all of the above too.

My gripe is it a good deal. Not in terms of value but structure. The way that deal is set up is Love has the Packers by the balls now and into the future and is not overly cap-friendly. That to me is concerning and that Gute and Ball screwed this negotiation royally giving the player way too much power.

I get that you are hung up on structure.  I haven't really seen a detailed breakdown yet.  But here's the deal.

We overpaid for right now.  I think we can all say that...on the surface.  Dude was a one year starter.

But, what else do we know?  Well, we know what Lawrence got, as a multi-year starter.  Forget whether he was "worth it" or not, he got what he got and that was a factor in the Love negotiation.

We know that Love progressed as the season went on.  We know that he ran the MLF offense.  We know that not only did he get accolades from his teammates, he also got them from opposing players.  We know that Love's play did help recruit Jacobs to GB.

So....he needed a new deal.  Love did "prove it".  And here we are.  The guy is under contract.  If you question the structure, then you also question the intelligence of our cap guy, Ball and likely our whole financial department.  They know the cap best and I'm sure they negotiated to give GB as much flexibility as they could when building out this deal.

Now...let's backtrack a year or so.  Our front office did that new deal to get around the whole 5'th year option thing.  They did this smartly.  If Love bombed, they could move on.  But he didn't.  And now we are here.  Again, Love proved it.  They could have signed him to a 4-5 year deal last year worth about $30M year with some nice guarantees, but Love hadn't earned that yet.  So again, they were smart.

It's like either you trust our front office, or you don't, when you don't get to see or really understand all the details in a contract.  Me?  I trust them.  So let's forget about "giving away" power or anything silly like that.  GB drafted a franchise QB by only trading a 4'th round pick to get him.  Instead of a "down" year, GB made the playoffs and even advanced, all while having a very, very young team.

Accept Love's contract.  Rejoice that the plan worked.  Now let's get ready to show the league how much we improved this off-season.

• Like 2

^Jordan Love's one season is also better than any of the three seasons that Trevor Lawrence has put up, and it was "only half good."  Both have identical 1-1 records in the playoffs, Lawrence has 3 more INTs and 40 more yards on 30 more attempts.  Both have 5 post season TD passes.  Lawrence has also been sacked 4 times to Love's 0.

• Like 2

This is approaching darkness retreat levels of discussion over what is in reality a big nothing burger.  What we need now is someone to start talking about how Gute should have traded Love for a haul of draft picks rather than paying him.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

This is approaching darkness retreat levels of discussion over what is in reality a big nothing burger.  What we need now is someone to start talking about how Gute should have traded Love for a haul of draft picks rather than paying him.

Trade Rodgers to the Jets for a second.  Pay Love more than Rodgers.  Trade Love for cheaper Rodgers and additional draft capital.  Profit.  

Have enough money to sign Christian Watson to a 40 million per season contract.

We just have to convince the Jets that it is leverage in their favor.  

• Like 2

Properly have a buzz in the gut about this season which hasn't happened in a number of years to this extent.

Hope he and everyone on that side of the ball can stay mostly healthy, and hoping that opposing D Coordinators are not able to clamp down on some of the wide open looks he got later in the season when things started clicking.

Being local to Philly, it's easy to have PTSD by association of the Wentz contract, and now how Hurts and that offense have now followed a similar trajectory of having a flash in the pan MVP/Superbowl level of play, and then the wheels fall off once the aggregate data on how a particular offense is run by the other teams.

But that's the fun chess game we all get to tune in to watch unfold every week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I'm just never going to worry about contracts/salary cap as long as Russ Ball is around. I honestly think he is the best Packer at his job in my lifetime. It feels like at least a decade since getting in cap hell without a way to finagle the books was even a problem for anybody but the least competent teams. There's a million different ways to finesse the cap and Russ Ball knows a million and one of them.

This.

InRussWeTrusst

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laces Out said:

Properly have a buzz in the gut about this season which hasn't happened in a number of years to this extent.

Hope he and everyone on that side of the ball can stay mostly healthy, and hoping that opposing D Coordinators are not able to clamp down on some of the wide open looks he got later in the season when things started clicking.

Being local to Philly, it's easy to have PTSD by association of the Wentz contract, and now how Hurts and that offense have now followed a similar trajectory of having a flash in the pan MVP/Superbowl level of play, and then the wheels fall off once the aggregate data on how a particular offense is run by the other teams.

It also helps that Siriani is a clown, and the Philly fans are the worst fans of any team in the world. Easy to root against them. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It also helps that Siriani is a clown, and the Philly fans are the worst fans of any team in the world. Easy to root against them. 

But what about Big Dom?

5 hours ago, Laces Out said:

The funny thing is that PHI still managed to get a championship out of it w/ Foles. Same year they were paying a 6.06m (3.6%) cap hit for Wentz on IR, a 6.1m (3.7%) dead cap hit for Chase Daniel, and a 5.5m (3.3%) dead cap hit for Sam Bradford. 11.7% total cap hit to QB’s. 

• Like 1