Broncos name Bo Nix as starting QB

BroncoSojia

48 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

As long as we don’t tear a meniscus… let’s do it 

Shouldn't be too hard if the passes are out before the defender can get to the QB.

But I really hope Nix doesn't get hurt. I wouldn't want that for anybody.

• Like 1

He’s 24, will turn 25 in February. No reason whatsoever to think a lack of game experience would be helpful for him, especially considering their horrific alternatives. Give him 2 years and if he isn’t it, move on.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The fact Nix has looked great in preseason speaks to how vanilla preseason is (duh), but also to how well Sean Payton can scheme / fit a QB's strengths & limit their weaknesses with enough advance preparation.    Last year was a bigger testament to how limited the current version of Russell Wilson is from his peak years (where his insane skills and ability to extend plays and avoid pressure masked the inability to place to spots, or see/use the middle of field).    2023 was so telling - our 1H production >>>>> 2H production, because once teams saw how Payton limited Wilson's flaws for that game and adjusted, Russell had nothing to fall back on once they took away the initial edges created from the week's prep.   That should improve dramatically with basically anyone-but-Russ, if they have even just league-average QB talent.

Nix isn't even close to elite-ceiling, and in that respect, I'm never a fan of spending a 1st on limited-ceiling guys.   Having said that, Payton's a guy who can make it work, provided that the QB in question can do 4 things - get the ball out on time, make the right read, throw to spots (not wait to see the guy open like Russ needs), and use the entire field.   

Bo Nix can do those things well - I'm not sure he can throw guys open, or create magic on his (he can run if pressured, yes, but I'm talking about making guys miss the way Allen, Mahomes, Lamar etc. can, or make the insane throws like Mahomes/Herbert/Allen/Burrow do routinely).    So even though I have reservations of his ceiling, I'm quite optimistic the O will be 10x better with him there, even with rookie pains, because of how limited Russ' corpse was....but I'm also not sure we'll ever be able to match up with the big gun QB's on good teams - which is what you want long-term.     But still, we're likely 10x better now than the last 2 years (low-bar).   I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong and he's a star.  But I'm also not going to deny that he's what Payton needs to let his full O unfold.   So we'll see how it goes.

And yeah, if your competition is Jared Stidham and Zach Wilson.....as a 24-year old rookie with that many SEC games (and then ORE's O).....not really as much benefit in sitting as with the untested, 20-21 yo low-rep vs. elite college competition rookie guys.     

What makes for an elite celling though? Mahomes/Herbert/Allen all do plenty of things that Brady couldn't, but one of them is still the GOAT. Brady had phenomenal pocket presence, incredible processing speed/feel for the game and could make all the throws if he needed, but he wasn't out there on the run throwing the ball across his body 50+ yards down the field. He wasn't trucking linebackers to get a first down late in the fourth quarter. He was usually throwing the ball underneath and taking the smart play/what was needed in the moment. 

I guess my point is that while Bo Nix is likely not gonna be the next Tom Brady, you also don't have to have Mahomes/Allen like physical skills to be a damn good quarterback.  I think it is fair to still have some big question marks on how well he can make the intermediate to deep throws because to be quite honest we haven't seen it yet. Also more than fair to say that he looks like a sharp guy and is currently making the right reads but hasn't faced a true NFL defense yet, but jury is still out on whether or not he has an elite celling in my book.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Why? This is pretty awful for my team as I'd much rather have someone like checks notes Gardner Minshew starting at QB for the Broncos.

Drafting Bo Nix before another team has a chance isn't the flex you think it is.

Hopefully he does well for you guys though.

3 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

What makes for an elite celling though? Mahomes/Herbert/Allen all do plenty of things that Brady couldn't, but one of them is still the GOAT. Brady had phenomenal pocket presence, incredible processing speed/feel for the game and could make all the throws if he needed, but he wasn't out there on the run throwing the ball across his body 50+ yards down the field. He wasn't trucking linebackers to get a first down late in the fourth quarter. He was usually throwing the ball underneath and taking the smart play/what was needed in the moment. 

I guess my point is that while Bo Nix is likely not gonna be the next Tom Brady, you also don't have to have Mahomes/Allen like physical skills to be a damn good quarterback.  I think it is fair to still have some big question marks on how well he can make the intermediate to deep throws because to be quite honest we haven't seen it yet. Also more than fair to say that he looks like a sharp guy and is currently making the right reads but hasn't faced a true NFL defense yet, but jury is still out on whether or not he has an elite celling in my book.  

I think it's less about his ceiling and more about his floor. He has a extremely high floor because his processing and mental side is such a strength. Some might call it safe or boring, but part of the reason Payton wanted him so badly is because he has the skill set to run his offense to a tee. The've needed stability there for 8 years and at worst, that's what Bo Nix is going to provide.

I don't think the pick needs to be thought of in the scope of Brees or bust for it to be very successful. If he turns out to be a similar type player as Alex Smith--you will win a hell of a lot of football games.

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

I couldn’t agree more. This idea is ceiling is stupid. Many of the GOATs didn’t have the biggest arm or the best athleticism. Guys like Brady, Purdy, and Brees can be ultra elite but nobody would have said they had a high ceiling entering year 1. Smart players that don’t make mistakes get the opportunity to improve. 

16 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I am rooting for him to do well. He has a lot of haters online and in the media for some reason. If he succeeds, credit for his success will go to Sean Payton. If he fails, it will go to Bo Nix.

Saw a lot of him at Auburn as a Georgia fan.  The QB we saw at Oregon was a 180* difference, but in some ways, I am still seeing that QB from Auburn.  Perhaps I am wrong though.  

Payton has long been considered one of the league’s best offensive minds.  So if Nix doesn’t work out, I think he does take most of the blame but…….he’s been put into one of the best situations for him.  

Nix’s physical tools were never a question. He was a guy who coming out was a hot mess at Auburn and thrived in Oregon yet came up short in big games. He benefited from a spread option scheme and getting the ball out quickly. The huge negatives are:

Oregon essentially asked nothing of him as a downfield or intermediate processor.

He relied heavily on RPO, screens, very simple vertical routes.

His footwork was sloppy.

He had a very difficult time going through progressions, operating off script, or knowing what to do when his primary target was taken away.

He bailed out instead of stepping into his throws when under pressure.

So yes, he absolutely can overcome those things, but if he doesn’t it won’t be a surprise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Saw a lot of him at Auburn as a Georgia fan.  The QB we saw at Oregon was a 180* difference, but in some ways, I am still seeing that QB from Auburn.  Perhaps I am wrong though.  

Payton has long been considered one of the league’s best offensive minds.  So if Nix doesn’t work out, I think he does take most of the blame but…….he’s been put into one of the best situations for him.  

I think it's unfair to Nix after two stellar seasons at Oregon to bring up his play at Auburn. Is Nix not allowed to improve? And, it's not like his play at Auburn was all terrible, especially considering he started and beat Justin Herbert's Oregon team as a true freshman. I mostly think his Auburn teams were outmatched in the SEC (which they continue to be), and he was trying to compensate for that with his reckless play. 

The narrative on Nix is that he must be in the right system to succeed. I really dislike that narrative for any quarterback. In every situation, a quarterback is always responsible for the majority of his success and failure. People were trying the same with Mahomes, arguing that if he and DeShaun Watson switched teams, Watson would be the player we think Mahomes is now. It's a ridiculous narrative and takes away from the accomplishments of the player.