Merry Christmas GDT: Raiders @ Eagles

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

9 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

I would sit Carr next week. No point risking him getting hurt. Needs to have a full offseason to prepare for next year. 

Confidence is shook and gotta wonder if some type of injury is holding him back. There have been other qbs that have had bad years and we have seen him produce in the past. Had no choice but to pay him what we did. Tannehill, Dalton, and Flacco make big money as well. Just the nature of the business.

Might be the coaching. I've heard fans are ticked off at your offensive coordinator (sounds like every fan when the offense struggles honestly). Derek and the Raiders just need to regroup in the offseason. Maybe Jack Del Rio isn't the guy. Maybe it's Downey. I'd be surprised if Derek is a flash in the pan. Could be the injury from last year still effecting him combined with the offense just not clicking as a unit. A lot of Raiders fans are already turning their back on Carr which is sad. He's having one down year. 

10 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Sharpe looked pretty good until that last play. Sean Smith was good again too.

Carr looked terrible again, drops aren't helping him at all either. 

I'm over Downing, but it doesn't help that the offense isn't executing and making mistakes. 

Does that not fall on him as coach? Whatever methods he's using to coach the offense isn't clicking. Out of sync all year.

28 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Might be the coaching. I've heard fans are ticked off at your offensive coordinator (sounds like every fan when the offense struggles honestly). Derek and the Raiders just need to regroup in the offseason. Maybe Jack Del Rio isn't the guy. Maybe it's Downey. I'd be surprised if Derek is a flash in the pan. Could be the injury from last year still effecting him combined with the offense just not clicking as a unit. A lot of Raiders fans are already turning their back on Carr which is sad. He's having one down year. 

Solid post. They need to re-group and they need to do it with new coaches. It's easy to hate on the OC as a fan, but Downing just isn't cut out for the job. From schemes to execution, it was a failure. JDR too just isn't a good HC. Brings nothing to the table as a HC honestly. His coaching hires have bombed and his voice is small now as a leader.  

Carr I agree isn't flash in the pan. Could be lingering back issue from earlier in the season. Coupled with last years injury, I think it's in his head and has shaken his confidence, Further, I think he's such a competitor that he's trying to hard and not 'having fun' as they say. 

Raiders invested 125 mil in him. They need to invest in a coach to grow with him and take him to the next level. Easier said than done however.

47 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Solid post. They need to re-group and they need to do it with new coaches. It's easy to hate on the OC as a fan, but Downing just isn't cut out for the job. From schemes to execution, it was a failure. JDR too just isn't a good HC. Brings nothing to the table as a HC honestly. His coaching hires have bombed and his voice is small now as a leader.  

Carr I agree isn't flash in the pan. Could be lingering back issue from earlier in the season. Coupled with last years injury, I think it's in his head and has shaken his confidence, Further, I think he's such a competitor that he's trying to hard and not 'having fun' as they say. 

Raiders invested 125 mil in him. They need to invest in a coach to grow with him and take him to the next level. Easier said than done however.

Honestly I don't know if its his head or the offense. There are so many times he misses wide open guys in favor for a short pass. Could be that Downing wants him to throw it short but it could also be Carr just playing off of instinct and reflex. Perhaps he can't throw deep because of the leg issue. Either way it needs to be addressed because he has looked pretty bad this year.

Carr's mechanics are poor this season. He's getting happy feet in the pocket. Not stepping into his throw. Throwing off the back foot. Trying to throw to quick, not getting into his reads and progressions. 

Wild guess.... he needs better coaching. He needs someone to pull him aside and get the basics right for him again. Somewhere in this Downing/Carr "friendship" they forgot Carr is a young QB, who just got paid millions and has high expectations. Carr needed structure and leadership. Not a friend calling plays to hold him accountable.

That would be my guess. You can't be the boss and the people's friends. The relationship got to close, accountability then suffered. 

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Carr's mechanics are poor this season. He's getting happy feet in the pocket. Not stepping into his throw. Throwing off the back foot. Trying to throw to quick, not getting into his reads and progressions. 

Wild guess.... he needs better coaching. He needs someone to pull him aside and get the basics right for him again. Somewhere in this Downing/Carr "friendship" they forgot Carr is a young QB, who just got paid millions and has high expectations. Carr needed structure and leadership. Not a friend calling plays to hold him accountable.

That would be my guess. You can't be the boss and the people's friends. The relationship got to close, accountability then suffered. 

I was wondering if other people were noticing this. His mechanics have been awful, even when not under pressure. His dropbacks have been sloppy, not stepping into throws, throwing off his back foot, not squaring his feet and shoulders. He's been trying to do everything just off arm talent and thats a huge problem.

And while that falls on Carr, its also something Downing and Peetz shouldve been preaching and helping him improve on throughout the year.

One thing i can say about the coaching, our offense looks nearly exactly the same with the same problems over the course of the entire season. I never saw any improvement, never saw any issues which plagued us get better, never saw the scheme grow, never even saw basic stuff like fundamentals improve.

I understand learning a new scheme and a new OC but maybe the most alarming thing was that there was zero improvement throughout an entire season. And that screams awful coaching to me.

Not a bad idea. This is going to sound stupid but he should get a couple of weeks rest and when he trains over the winter, not do it in Bakersfield. He is fine is good weather but not so much in the cold. Not sure how much it will help ten months later but maybe he should try running and throwing in colder climates and with inclement weather. It’s def a weakness in his game but what do you expect from a guy who has played mostly in warm weather his whole life?He has a lot of ability as we have seen in the past, but we need him to actually work on the things he struggles with most. Hopefully we can find him a coach that can get him back to 2015-16 form. Have to think they will build on their biggest investment.

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Also to add... Carr needs to focus on physical strength in the offseason. Bulk up some.  Matt Ryan leveled up back in 2012 bulking up to stay healthy on the field. Carr should emulate that. Armor himself to take more hits. 

Carr did that this year. Any more and he will look like a LB and it will hurt his range of motion. I was lowkey worried about that this year.

1 hour ago, riceman80 said:

I was wondering if other people were noticing this. His mechanics have been awful, even when not under pressure. His dropbacks have been sloppy, not stepping into throws, throwing off his back foot, not squaring his feet and shoulders. He's been trying to do everything just off arm talent and thats a huge problem.

And while that falls on Carr, its also something Downing and Peetz shouldve been preaching and helping him improve on throughout the year.

One thing i can say about the coaching, our offense looks nearly exactly the same with the same problems over the course of the entire season. I never saw any improvement, never saw any issues which plagued us get better, never saw the scheme grow, never even saw basic stuff like fundamentals improve.

I understand learning a new scheme and a new OC but maybe the most alarming thing was that there was zero improvement throughout an entire season. And that screams awful coaching to me.

Great post.  All things I've seen too.  Its weird to see Carr fall back into habits he seemed to grow out of last year.  His accuracy is spotty.  He gets antsy in the pocket like he did as a rookie. He's forcing the ball too much.  I think a lot of it is his mental make up after the 2 injuries and him trying to play Hero Ball like a basketball player.  Complete conjecture but I think coaching tried to get him to be more cautious, which screwed him up.  There was all that talk about getting the ball out fast to avoid getting injured and it became a self fulfilling prophecy.  Now Carr is seeing ghosts and panicking in the pocket. Maybe that's also part of why he isn't seeing the field that well.  Could also be the route concepts maybe?  I have literally never seen Carr and the receivers this far off the same page.  So many times the throw is just off based on what the QB and WR read.  When it persists this long, after seeing them execute this stuff almost flawlessly in the past, it makes me question if the overall system is causing the problem.  Does it make them think too much or something?

Speaking of overarching issues: We keep getting stuffed on outside zone runs.  We still never use Play Action.  Our receivers ALL forgot how to catch the ball.  That might not be on Downing, but ALL of them have stone hands now?  How does that happen?  We abandoned the run too much this year (props to riding Lynch last night though).  Much of the same stuff happened over and over, and it sucks to see.  Downing just isn't ready.  At least not without more experienced coaching support that clearly is not around right now.

edit: This was so cringe

https://twitter.com/LeviDamien/status/945518298271072256

I feel for Carr when the receivers don't run the right routes, but he needs to stop throwing before receivers get to the spot on certain routes. He has the arm to rifle balls in as opposed to floating it to a spot. He doesn't throw as many bullets anymore and maybe that's because our WR's, especially Crabs and Roberts as of late, have awful hands, but he needs to get back to that style of play.

Honestly, Crabtree has been garbage as of late. That play on the ball on the redzone pass from Carr was as bad as I've seen from a WR in the NFL. We need a new WR coach, or some new WRs. If reggie doesn't draft a receiver somewhere in the first 3 or 4 rounds next year, I'm gonna be hot.

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I feel for Carr when the receivers don't run the right routes, but he needs to stop throwing before receivers get to the spot on certain routes. He has the arm to rifle balls in as opposed to floating it to a spot. He doesn't throw as many bullets anymore and maybe that's because our WR's, especially Crabs and Roberts as of late, have awful hands, but he needs to get back to that style of play.

Honestly, Crabtree has been garbage as of late. That play on the ball on the redzone pass from Carr was as bad as I've seen from a WR in the NFL. We need a new WR coach, or some new WRs. If reggie doesn't draft a receiver somewhere in the first 3 or 4 rounds next year, I'm gonna be hot.

It's so disappointing/frustrating that we draft a WR #4 overall and sign a vet of Crabs caliber, yet we we still can't get good production from any WR.

that's why I think he is hurt... coming into the league, one of Carrs strengths as a prospect was his arm strength.... He was dinged for being from a small school, average size, and being a carr., system.. no questions about his arm, his arm was actually considered elite... he also shown in the NFL he can make throws others can not make, and he use to like to go deep.... this year everything is a fast pass play... alot of ducks... arm strength is not there.... I just think he is playing in pain regardless of what he says... he wants to pride himself as a iron man or whatever

Archived