Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Put me in the category of nope for that.

Love is so much better.  I don't want him splitting out wide, or sitting on the bench, so Willis can get a few snaps.

The only way I could see Willis under center would be some 2 pt conversion plays.  Having to defend against his legs would just be another thing for the defense to have to game plan for.

A number of short yardage plays would be dynamic with him in there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think so. With the threat that he has a cannon in case we send at least one guy deep. Makes the defense have to honor that while also accounting for a guy who can beat you to the edge or just run it up the gut since he’s built like a HB.

Not something I’m over worried about but a creative coach might want to put that to use and save some wear and tear on QB1 getting into piles. 

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I'd like them to use Willis when Love gets back.  Have him in for a few plays a game.  Love pitches to Willis who can run or throw.  It wouldn't be a staple of this offense but a play or two a game.  I think Willis could be a weapon if used correctly when Love gets back.

Like the Saints used Taysom Hill in place of Derek Carr - but maybe Malik can do more.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

12 hours ago, craig said:

The QB will not be a Malik-sized part of the running game when Love is back.  

Having a Malik who can run, with chunk runs, is really helpful.  That adds a way to make 1st downs.  And it impacts defense to not quite sell out on penetration, which buys a little extra time when he does throw.  It's win-win.  

Love is a different man with different skills.  

Reed still will be. But this isnt the point you think it was. We were able to power our way to 150+ yard weeks back to back against loaded boxes.

You also werent watching the game. Watch all of our PA plays. Its just a mass of bodies in the middle because the LBers were crashing super hard for tennessee. They started by not respecting the pass at all, selling out for the run.

And maliks threat of run only makes up for the fact the defense was stacking the box daring him to pass.

The real treat of Malik was he stepped up to the challenge and forced the titans out of 8-9 man boxes. And when he did our run game started exploding.

The run game is very good. Just admit it. Its ok that your predetermined supposition of our line archetype was wrong.

Edited by HighCalebR

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This is a future for Willis I could get behind.  I'll be the first to admit Willis has absolutely dunked on my expectations for him coming in, but I am still pretty strongly of the opinion that this is due far more to MLF than Willis being a different player.  They've done an incredible job of structuring this offense around Willis; he's a 'First Read -> Scramble' QB to his bones and turns out MLF can sculpt an offense for that guy just as well as he can sculpt one for the guy with the golden arm who can see the whole field.  That being said, I did not realize how good his ball handling skills are and he's hitting his first read right on time with solid placement and good velocity - I don't want to act like MLF is out there running the plays for him.  As well as they've scripted and run games with him at QB, he's been executing the play at a high level and we can see what even a limited playbook can do when you run it this well.

So yeah, he's one of the few players in recent years that I'd trust to take some snaps per game just to cause some problems with his running ability, because the fact that he's very capable of also hitting a timing pass hugely increases the difficulty in defending those plays.

On 9/23/2024 at 12:09 PM, Brit Pack said:

No way!!!
We got a cheap back up QB for under $2.5 for this year and next year.
Maybe sell after this year but I don't see where the value would match the need.
Might be premature but would love to keep him locked down as a longterm backup

I can't see willis winning vs a playoff team.

If love goes down in the playoff range (assuming we even make it there) then the season is probably over regardless.

Getting a 2 for Malik Willis would be for sure worth it.

Willis gets all the benefit of playing for a good team with a good offensive line.  In miami he'd be asked to learn yet another playbook, and one that the team is built around extremely quick reads and precision passing.  That is not Willis' game.

Now, I'm pretty confident Mike McD could do some good stuff with Willis given a few weeks, but for Miami I don't think he's what they want.

Miami just has to hope that Tua comes back, or trade for Kirk Cousins if Atlanta implodes.

20 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I'd like them to use Willis when Love gets back.  Have him in for a few plays a game.  Love pitches to Willis who can run or throw.  It wouldn't be a staple of this offense but a play or two a game.  I think Willis could be a weapon if used correctly when Love gets back.

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Put me in the category of nope for that.

Love is so much better.  I don't want him splitting out wide, or sitting on the bench, so Willis can get a few snaps.

The only way I could see Willis under center would be some 2 pt conversion plays.  Having to defend against his legs would just be another thing for the defense to have to game plan for.

This! 

The reason they did that with Hill was he wasn't the backup quarterback because he can't play quarterback. 

That is a no for me on this idea. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

This is a future for Willis I could get behind.  I'll be the first to admit Willis has absolutely dunked on my expectations for him coming in, but I am still pretty strongly of the opinion that this is due far more to MLF than Willis being a different player.  They've done an incredible job of structuring this offense around Willis; he's a 'First Read -> Scramble' QB to his bones and turns out MLF can sculpt an offense for that guy just as well as he can sculpt one for the guy with the golden arm who can see the whole field.  That being said, I did not realize how good his ball handling skills are and he's hitting his first read right on time with solid placement and good velocity - I don't want to act like MLF is out there running the plays for him.  As well as they've scripted and run games with him at QB, he's been executing the play at a high level and we can see what even a limited playbook can do when you run it this well.

So yeah, he's one of the few players in recent years that I'd trust to take some snaps per game just to cause some problems with his running ability, because the fact that he's very capable of also hitting a timing pass hugely increases the difficulty in defending those plays.

Exactly, it's a wrinkle teams would have to defend.  Again, we're not talking about series, we're talking a sprinkling of plays here and there. It puts a lot of pressure on the outer perimeter defenders.   Come up on Willis and he dumps it over your head to Kraft type stuff.  I think Willis would be perfect for that.  It would be great to unveil in the late season or playoffs. JMO

Edited by NFLGURU

On 9/24/2024 at 12:50 PM, MrBobGray said:

How about leave Love out at WR when we do those type of plays. The threat of throwing to Love who throws downfield would be interesting. They could also motion and put Love back at QB and Willis someplace else.

The possibilities are endless with Willis' athletic ability and skillset. 

First though, let's kick the Vikings *** on Sunday! 

Edited by Old Guy

On 9/23/2024 at 11:17 PM, HighCalebR said:

..The run game is very good. Just admit it. Its ok that your predetermined supposition of our line archetype was wrong.

I admit it!  And I LOVE it!  I agree!  The run game is **very** good!  :):). 

Heh heh, I never said it wouldn't be good this year.  What I did say was that it hadn't been particularly above-average in most of the recent years.  So, I considered it to be a wait-and-see thing until the season began.  I waited, and now I've seen!  I love it! 

You were right and you were prescient; so you deserve all the credit for seeing it in advance.  I humbly agree that I wasn't prescient and I wasn't smart enough to know ahead of time.  But now that I am now actually seeing it happen, I love it!

HighC, I admit I do remain wait-and-see for one small component of the run game.  The overall run game has been great, so please don't rebut this with straw-man that Craig says "the run game is bad".  I'm not.  The *overall* run game has been so fun.  But one small component that I admit I'm still waiting to see is short-yardage.  A team doesn't have lots of situations within which to run short-yardage runs, sometimes not a single-one all game.  So hypothetically being kinda league-average will not much impact a team's overall ypc average.  But yeah, I'm not sure,  yet, that our run-game is presently excellent at short-yardage?  Too small a sample size thus far to conclude either way.  But I'm hoping that as the season progresses, the Packers will show themselves to excel and to be above-average at short-yardage runs.  Would be fun to have a high success rate when they elect to run on  3rd-and-1 or 4th-and-1.  Or to have a high TD-rate when we get 1st-and-goal from the 3, and try to run it in rather than passing it in.   I know short-yardage isn't easy.  That's why so many teams often pass or use shotgun from 3rd-and-1.