Week 1 GDT: Tennessee Titans @ Chicago Bears

Mesa_Titan

Outside of Levis, think I find Skoronski to be most worrisome. Latham getting beat off the edge a few times while being on an island was to be expected in his first game. Skoronski was supposed to be the most pro ready OL in last year’s class and he’s still really struggling in pass pro. We are/were really relying on him and Cushenberry to be the stabilizing forces on the OL. 

I did see Skoronski get beat a couple of times, but I will say he's the one I noticed (in a bad way) the least, outside of maybe Cushenberry.  NPF was the guy I noticed having the most obvious mistakes, and RT seems to still be the spot where we don't have a real answer.  Latham has a lot of bad reps, but he's a rookie, so it's to be expected.  I'm still optimistic on him being a quality tackle before too long.  Radunz was fine.  Made some good blocks on some pulls, but also gave in on some pressures.

Skoronski still just looks like a so-so guard to me.  Another really good piece of evidence that it's an objectively bad idea to draft guards in the early first round.  But for all of them, it's still early, and it was a good DL.  I think we all talked ourselves into the foolish idea that the OL turnaround would be immediately noticeable, despite our knowing better.

I'll be pretty optimistic if we see even incremental improvement by the unit next week.

I'm a little less optimistic about Levis turning it around, but as the former president of the Will Levis haters club, it probably takes less than it should for me to see bust on him.  He's always struggled under pressure and he was under a **** ton on Sunday.  Callahan needs a better game plan for when that's happening, because that's not the last elite DL the Titans are gonna see early this season.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I am actually legitimately excited to see this defense with Jones as a full time starter.

that play where he just exploded the center on his way to forcing an incompletion....that's like what we thought rashaan evans was gonna be lol

26 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Defense gonna have to carry us until the offense can get itself together. 

If there's one bright spot to yesterday it's that the defense has clearly taken a big step forward from last year.

Can't say I saw this coming lmao

1 minute ago, Kookie23 said:

If there's one bright spot to yesterday it's that the defense has clearly taken a big step forward from last year.

Can't say I saw this coming lmao

It's one of those things where you just felt it should be improved. Adding quality Corners, Scheme fitting players. Also playing a rookie (that i'm not a fan of) helps. 

You assumed the same for the offense, but we saw how that went. 

Been a long time since a Titans defense was as fun to watch as the one yesterday. Thought Wilson did an excellent job of timing his blitzes, showing different looks and mixing rushers to keep Williams on his toes. With the way players respect him, am a bit worried that we only may get a year with him.

The Simmons and Sweat duo was exactly what you hoped for. Nearly 700 pounds of strength in the middle freeing up the LBs. Jones at full speed in the system is going to feast as a blitzer behind them. Thought Hooker looked a lot more like the Hooker we extended. Was able to float and play with more freedom rather than being pigeonholed into a deep safety role that never really fit his strengths.

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Matches what I saw. Didn’t mind all of the gun looks and the motion. PA rate is way too low, especially when we started the game running so well.

do you know what the 92% pass rate means in this context? if we ran out of the gun 13 times we definitely didn’t pass on 92% of gun snaps, so i feel like i must be missing some meaning here

Just now, -Hope- said:

do you know what the 92% pass rate means in this context? if we ran out of the gun 13 times we definitely didn’t pass on 92% of gun snaps, so i feel like i must be missing some meaning here

My assumption is that it means 92% of our total pass attempts and 56.5% of our designed runs came from the gun? Think that’s the only way to read it since yeah, it can’t possibly mean that we passed 92% of the time we were in shotgun.

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

My assumption is that it means 92% of our total pass attempts and 56.5% of our designed runs came from the gun? Think that’s the only way to read it since yeah, it can’t possibly mean that we passed 92% of the time we were in shotgun.

that makes a lot more sense. and it's pretty rough. i'm not sure i remember a non-bootleg under-center play action call all game yesterday (maybe one of the deep attempts?) which is kind of wild with a QB like levis.

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

As the looks come in, we get a fuller picture. 
This isn't really about Lathum. 
Just looking at Levis and the WRs.

In the sack, on the first clip, he maneuvers and escapes the pocket from pressure.

Looks like 4 DB's on 3 WRs. Nowhere to throw the ball. Should have tossed it away at the least.

2nd clip. Stands tall with pressure coming, no where to go with the ball when pressure comes. Hits the one on one gives chig a ball TD.

3rd. Climbs pocket. feels the pressure tries to throw it to a covered guy and hit while throwing. 

4th clip- Feels pressure from back side, slides away. Tries to unload. strip sacked. 

Thats just 4 plays. Doesn't give a whole picture, but a small glimpse into the day. 

Will had some drop dead stupid throws for sure. But you can’t expect a guy to succeed in that kind of pressured environment. Bears had one of the best days of getting after the qb in the last 3 years statistically for them.

I had a little higher expectation for our line because I saw some nice things at least for the left side in the preseason.

Will has to stop playing like a meat head and know when to just take an L. 

• Like 1

All the bad that I saw from Levis at Kentucky that made me weary of drafting him, I saw yesterday. The lack of pocket presence, inaccuracy in key moments, and most of all the boneheaded decisions that cost him games at Kentucky and will cost him a lot more in the NFL if they continue. I've been hopeful (and still am to a degree) for him to be the answer at QB because of the physical traits he possesses and getting a good offensive coaching staff behind him to hopefully coach out the bad habits. I'm not going to let a bad week 1 in a brand new offense lead to me jumping off the train just yet, but we are in dangerous territory here...

If one bad game turns into two bad games turns into three etc etc... The fanbase and media are going to turn against him and once that pendulum starts to swing on a QB, it's over. We saw it with Marcus who had a much longer leash, because he was a first round pick, we saw it with Tanne who had prior success here, so we probably spent more time than we should hanging on with him, but Levis doesn't have either of those luxuries. He has this year to prove he's the unquestioned QB for this franchise and that's it. Callahan and his staff as much as I'm sure they want it to work with him, they don't have any prior ties to him. Ran took a swing at a physically gifted QB at the top of the second, and I don't blame him for taking that swing, but it wasn't a first round investment.

Levis has to prove without a shadow of a doubt that he's the guy for this team moving forward, and he has 16 more games to prove that. He doesn't have the luxury of being "so-so" this year or just having a bad year in general because we can move on from him fairly easily. The pressure is on, and he knows that. For our sake and his I hope he comes out the rest of the year and looks like a franchise guy, but the reality is that he's not going to be afforded the same grace that most young first round QBs are. 

Edited by SerenityNow
  • Like 3