Week 1 GDT: Tennessee Titans @ Chicago Bears

Mesa_Titan

5 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I did not watch the game. I was watching the Texans and Colts game. Where I’m from in my papies 5 acre farm in Lubbock Tx we only get texan games. But I know many TN folks were high on him. Just extending that good ol southern hospitality partner. Either way, my main concern was Ernest. 

You're more than welcome to come discuss the game/the Titans/etc in this forum, even discuss that you think Levis played poorly, etc but just to get in front of it, lets not do any trolling, doesn't accomplish anything of value.

53 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I get why people want to stay aggressive with a lead, but up 17 with the defense absolutely dominating, I’m not that bothered by going conservative. Because, he’s right, if we give them the ball at their own 30 every drive I’m not sure they score 17 points in the next 8 quarters. You see your QB falling into bad habits and your OL losing, you don’t want to risk disaster, you want to run down the clock and secure the win. 

If Levis hits Ridley down the sideline to put us up three scores or Gibbens blocks his man, we almost certainly coast to a win as road underdogs and nobody even considers questioning the coaching strategy.

Lot of if's. I don't want to play because I'll be accused of being a homer or whatever.. lol

But I will talk about the conservative play calling.  

To me it just sends the wrong identity to your team. This fan base knows more than any that no lead is safe in the NFL. Even if we didn't let the score, the way the return game was looking, all they needed was a decent return and a pass or two to get in FG range. Enough of those then that 17 point lead is down to one score over time. 

Then you try to rev the engine back up on offense, for it to stall or go out completely. 
I'm not saying be dangerous, but don't fold up shop and concede. Mixing the run in with PA Safe one read throws or screens is a way to keep going and being safe. 

But running up the middle with Pollard while they run blitz isn't the answer. 

EDIT:
And even after the miss and the mess up on special teams, you still are playing it safe. At that point, I'd say ok, this lead isn't safe or good enough. 

Edited by KingTitan

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Lot of if's. I don't want to play because I'll be accused of being a homer or whatever.. lol

But I will talk about the conservative play calling.  

To me it just sends the wrong identity to your team. This fan base knows more than any that no lead is safe in the NFL. Even if we didn't let the score, the way the return game was looking, all they needed was a decent return and a pass or two to get in FG range. Enough of those then that 17 point lead is down to one score over time. 

Then you try to rev the engine back up on offense, for it to stall or go out completely. 
I'm not saying be dangerous, but don't fold up shop and concede. Mixing the run in with PA Safe one read throws or screens is a way to keep going and being safe. 

But running up the middle with Pollard while they run blitz isn't the answer. 

EDIT:
And even after the miss and the mess up on special teams, you still are playing it safe. At that point, I'd say ok, this lead isn't safe or good enough. 

not saying this to defend playcalling, but what was so overtly conservative about it in the 2nd half compared to the first?

Levis literally imploded in the second half. Spears runs a route short of the sticks and Edmunds ends the drive right there. Burks reverse kills a drive that picked up a first.

I think our players on O failed us more in the second half than playcalling. (but I will say the reverse was the beginning of the end for us)

Edited by deeluxx3

First miss he just randomly drifts left on his drop which brought the pressure to him and prevented him from stepping into the throw. Second one still just baffles me. I just don’t know how he sails that ball five yards out of bounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

First miss he just randomly drifts left on his drop which brought the pressure to him and prevented him from stepping into the throw. Second one still just baffles me. I just don’t know how he sails that ball five yards out of bounds.

The weirdest thing about the first play is that the drifting left makes every throw harder. I could at least try to explain it if his other reads were on the left and he just saw Ridley come open, but he also has two check downs on the right and a deep crosser going left to right.

34 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

not saying this to defend playcalling, but what was so overtly conservative about it in the 2nd half compared to the first?

Levis literally imploded in the second half. Spears runs a route short of the sticks and Edmunds ends the drive right there. Burks reverse kills a drive that picked up a first.

I think our players on O failed us more in the second half than playcalling. (but I will say the reverse was the beginning of the end for us)

I guess you are right. It was execution more than play calling. If I think on it. But what still leans me to be upset with the playcalling was the runs that were working. Seems like we kept calling the same ones. 
I need to rewatch, because it just felt like nothing was working in the 2nd half. 

18 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The weirdest thing about the first play is that the drifting left makes every throw harder. I could at least try to explain it if his other reads were on the left and he just saw Ridley come open, but he also has two check downs on the right and a deep crosser going left to right.

I'm not worried about the checkdown because the right read was Ridley, he just misses it. It seemed like he was scared that the safety was gonna get there, but the safety had no chance. 

With the other deep to Ridely, it looks like a predetermined shot to Ridley. He maybe made the right read of the defense and knew Ridley was gonna be open (maybe?). With that information he drifts to the left to give himself room to throw more to the left and didn't anticipate the pressure being there.  This is all assumption. 

Both mistakes by him. 

Edited by KingTitan

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm not worried about the checkdown because the right read was Ridley, he just misses it. It seemed like he was scared that the safety was gonna get there, but the safety had no chance. 

With the other deep to Ridely, it looks like a predetermined shot to Ridley. He maybe made the right read of the defense and knew Ridley was gonna be open (maybe?). With that information he drifts to the left to give himself room to throw more to the left and didn't anticipate the pressure being there. 

Both mistakes by him. 

No, I mean on the first one where he takes a shot to Ridley on the right. He badly drifts left which brings Latham’s man into play. Which is really weird because both his first read (I’m assuming it was Ridley) and also every other potential read would require throwing to the right. So I’ve got no clue what he’s doing on the drop other than just having really poor footwork I suppose. 

Footwork on the shot to Ridley on the left seemed fine. Was able to step into the throw. That one was definitely a designed shot to Ridley as soon as they saw no one over the top. It’s just a terrible miss to sail it out of bounds and not even give Ridley a chance to make a play.

14 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

No, I mean on the first one where he takes a shot to Ridley on the right. He badly drifts left which brings Latham’s man into play. Which is really weird because both his first read (I’m assuming it was Ridley) and also every other potential read would require throwing to the right. So I’ve got no clue what he’s doing on the drop other than just having really poor footwork I suppose. 

Footwork on the shot to Ridley on the left seemed fine. Was able to step into the throw. That one was definitely a designed shot to Ridley as soon as they saw no one over the top. It’s just a terrible miss to sail it out of bounds and not even give Ridley a chance to make a play.

Gotcha.

Yeah. Bad footwork and technique there from him. Confirmed with the all-22. My only guess is that he mentally drifted left because thats where he wanted the ball to go. Then the pressure messed up the throw. 
Seems correctable with reps. 
If it's not correctable, he has to be a master at reading defenses, anticipating and arm angles. Stafford like. Either way, has to improve. 

Weird, the more  distance from this game, the better I feel. 

Defense packs up and travels. So does a run game, as we know all too well. 

I'm going to give Cally the benefit of the doubt and he will find a way to get the best out of Levis, even if that best is an average QB. 

It’s one bad game from him and I really don’t want to overreact to it. However, this game just brought me back to my Will Levis=Carson Wentz thinking I had prior to last season. He’s really going to have to start to string together some strong performances to make me move on from that stinker.

Most of the forum thought they'd would struggle early, especially on offense. I was shocked at the level of play but some of you shouldn't have been based on your predictions. 

We are fielding a competitive team. if Levis ends up being the problem. Then good thing is a team will be built for the next guy to step in. 

At best we are a wild card team for me. 

Enjoy the ride. Less stress. Lol 

51 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

It’s one bad game from him and I really don’t want to overreact to it. However, this game just brought me back to my Will Levis=Carson Wentz thinking I had prior to last season. He’s really going to have to start to string together some strong performances to make me move on from that stinker.

Watching a lot of these lowlights, the image of Carson Wentz definitely flashed in my brain.