Week 1 GDT: Broncos @ Seattle

broncosfan_101

Just now, grizmo78 said:

I wonder where the zone read plays went that Nix ran so well in the preseason. That should have been the strategy coming in. 

I've only seen that work well with Lamar Jackson and Mahomes. NFL defenses are too quick/too disciplined for that to be effective. 

Just now, brassglobos said:

I've only seen that work well with Lamar Jackson and Mahomes. NFL defenses are too quick/too disciplined for that to be effective. 

It no doubt at the very least opens up things even a little bit for the run game though. 2-3 effective keeps makes that backside pursuit so much less effective the rest of the game. 

I think Nix will be fine. Seattle is a brutal place to play for anyone and it’s certainly hard for a rookie who’s starting week one. I figured Payton would try to protect him some, but I was a bit surprised at our game plan. That was an awful lot of short passes that seemed to be designed plays. Once Seattle adjusted to that, we took zero deep shots which made no sense. This was the exact thing that killed us last year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I think Nix will be fine. Seattle is a brutal place to play for anyone and it’s certainly hard for a rookie who’s starting week one. I figured Payton would try to protect him some, but I was a bit surprised at our game plan. That was an awful lot of short passes that seemed to be designed plays. Once Seattle adjusted to that, we took zero deep shots which made no sense. This was the exact thing that killed us last year. 

I really don't see that much of a difference between bo nixs rookie debut and jayden daniels besides daniels is a freak athletically and didn't throw two picks.

3 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Coaches make as much impact on a game as an above average starting player. Getting that value from a late first rounder is very good, actually.

You need to think about opportunity cost though. Sure, Payton’s impact on a game would probably be larger than Bryan Bresee and Edgerrin Cooper (the players drafted with the picks we traded for him), but we interviewed a shortlist of candidates that wouldn’t have required any picks.

We could have had Dan Quinn/Raheem Morris/Ejiro Evero AND kept the picks. Surely that would be better than having yesterday’s man losing us a lot of games at head coach? 

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

You need to think about opportunity cost though. Sure, Payton’s impact on a game would probably be larger than Bryan Bresee and Edgerrin Cooper (the players drafted with the picks we traded for him), but we interviewed a shortlist of candidates that wouldn’t have required any picks.

We could have had Dan Quinn/Raheem Morris/Ejiro Evero AND kept the picks. Surely that would be better than having yesterday’s man losing us a lot of games at head coach? 

I’d argue you’re much likelier to hit on a proven head coach than any prospect coming out of college. Quinn, Morris, Evero could all be good head coaches, but there’s no reason to believe they’d fare any better than the average coaching hire. Sean Payton consistently graded out as a top 5 head coach in New Orleans, and I think most would agree that he did a very good job last year, all things considered. I believe in Sean Payton, as long as he sticks it out long enough to have the roster figured out. 

Which is a concern.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I was mentally prepared for the rookie debut worst case scenario but actually watching it play out was brutal. I did expect at least a little more.

Again, the body language was hugely concerning. I thought of any rookie QB making his first start, Bo Nix would be the most prepared to weather early struggles. That was EXTREMELY not the case. He was defeated at the end of the 1st half. I don’t wanna push the panic button after one game, but, like, if there was ever one game to push the panic button over, I can’t imagine a better one than this.

I think Sean is an outstanding HC in this league and, outside of a few guys, we’re very young outside. Having the veteran lines we have is going to be big for a developing team. He has also assembled a veteran staff, another plus. He’s built things well so far. 

This love for Dan Quinn never ceases to amaze me. We’re talking about a guy who had an all-time talented defense, working under a defensive minded likely HoF Coach in Pete Carroll, got his first HC job and only succeed when he had Kyle (who himself has gone on to be an elite HC), and his staff running his offense. Once Kyle & Co. left, Atlanta collapsed and he was fired. Then he goes to hype machine Dallas and yeah, sure he looks cool with his backwards hat and his salt-and-pepper facial hair but he had a lot of nice prices on that defense including a unicorn talent in Micah Parsons. Oh, and his team got blown out today in his second HC stint debut.  

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Again, the body language was hugely concerning. I thought of any rookie QB making his first start, Bo Nix would be the most prepared to weather early struggles. That was EXTREMELY not the case. He was defeated at the end of the 1st half. I don’t wanna push the panic button after one game, but, like, if there was ever one game to push the panic button over, I can’t imagine a better one than this.

Yeah. Considering how Nix was sold as a prospect, it is concerning how lost he looked. He doesn’t have rare arm talent to build around. 

• Like 1