Week 1 GDT: Broncos @ Seattle

broncosfan_101

I know that I’m completely biased when it comes to Jerry Jeudy, but man, it’d be nice to give your rookie QB an option that will be open more times than not. I said a little while back, the lack of offensive weapons for Bo Nix is very likely to be a problem. Marvin Mims not being able to get on the field on offence is so damning at this point. On pace to be quite the bust.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I know that I’m completely biased when it comes to Jerry Jeudy, but man, it’d be nice to give your rookie QB an option that will be open more times than not. I said a little while back, the lack of offensive weapons for Bo Nix is very likely to be a problem. Marvin Mims not being able to get on the field on offence is so damning at this point. On pace to be quite the bust.

Yeah why was he not on the field? We needed juice and he's like the only non-possession WR that we have on the roster. 

I obviously didn’t like the Bo Nix pick, but it’s game 1.  I get he’s played a lot of college football, but the jump to the NFL is still incredibly hard.  Game 1 nerves and getting used to regular season game speed for any rookie is a learning curve. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

As you know, I've been in the same boat.   I understand why we parted ways - and I know the Payton system loves the big body WR.   But the big body WR is also the one that doesn't separate.   And that's a HUGE problem when you have a QB who's getting used to NFL game speed.  

Having 4 guys who are all big bodies sounds great in theory - except when we don't make the D fear the deep threat, and can't separate at all.    

I really do worry Sutton being the clear focal part of the O is a huge problem.    As much as Jeudy never realized his potential, the D had to account for him.    Right now, they're accounting for no one else.   I don't think ppl realize how easy it is to defend us when our WR2/3 just can't get open, or threaten the D.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

As you know, I've been in the same boat.   I understand why we parted ways - and I know the Payton system loves the big body WR.   But the big body WR is also the one that doesn't separate.   And that's a HUGE problem when you have a QB who's getting used to NFL game speed.  

Having 4 guys who are all big bodies sounds great in theory - except when we don't make the D fear the deep threat, and can't separate at all.    

I really do worry Sutton being the clear focal part of the O is a huge problem.    As much as Jeudy never realized his potential, the D had to account for him.    Right now, they're accounting for no one else.   I don't think ppl realize how easy it is to defend us when our WR2/3 just can't get open, or threaten the D.

where is mims dudes on a milk carton.

6 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I remember Keith Null (and Void) being completely awful so this is not a promising sign

I think this is what ultimately stuck out to me most from today. Bo was consistently side passing to our RBs who were 5+ yards BEHIND the line and though they had space, defenders close quick in this league. It was basically a lot of sacks that don't show up as sacks.

It was also strange to me our spacing as even his forward passes were to guys that were 3ish yards ahead of the line. Felt like we were always starting from deeper than we were which makes me think were we positioning our pockets too far back? Or was Bo just taking 5+ step drops all the time?

I will note the only bright spot for me was the final drive where he was sitting more sturdy in the pocket and making those run plays when the pass wasn't there

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1

Now, as for Nix, yes, it's his first start, and yes, SEA is a really tough place to play.    And DC Mike McDonald is such a brilliant D mind.

So there's context.

But I mentioned this before, I do worry that Bo Nix isn't able to win games on his own, and that matters a ton in January - when the best teams often are separated by QB play and/or coaching (as the rest of the team rosters are usually similarly talented and deep).

The things that stand out:

1.  His physical skills aren't elite.   He definitely can't be late on throws, or stare down guys.  He can make the throws the system demands of him, but he's not going to thread the needle on his own arm talent. 

2.  He isn't able to make guys miss on their own.   He can break the big run when guys don't stay in their lane, or he can get outside. but he's not a threat on his own to make guys miss. 

3.  Given he's already 24 and a 60+ start guy, he's got room to grow, but his ceiling isn't nearly as high.  

The killer part about today - he made about 5 TO-worthy decisions, and he got burned on 2 of them.   Now, sure that can improve, but being smart and avoiding mistakes is part of Bo Nix's appeal in fitting the Payton system.   He doesn't have the tools or arm talent to try those throws. 

It's certainly too early to pass judgment after 1 game.  But when I said we needed to temper expectations, even I didn't think we'd see some of the mistakes Bo made today.  It doesn't damn him, but man, it had better improve quickly.    The cerebral / judgment part of his game is supposed to be the most polished - can't have that kind of decision-making like he showed today.  I worry that like most rookies, Bo also overestimates his abilities, hopefully today drives home his limitations to him in spades.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Now, as for Nix, yes, it's his first start, and yes, SEA is a really tough place to play.    And DC Mike McDonald is such a brilliant D mind.

So there's context.

But I mentioned this before, I do worry that Bo Nix isn't able to win games on his own, and that matters a ton in January - when the best teams often are separated by QB play and/or coaching (as the rest of the team rosters are usually similarly talented and deep).

The things that stand out:

1.  His physical skills aren't elite.   He definitely can't be late on throws, or stare down guys.  He can make the throws the system demands of him, but he's not going to thread the needle on his own arm talent. 

2.  He isn't able to make guys miss on their own.   He can break the big run when guys don't stay in their lane, or he can get outside. but he's not a threat on his own to make guys miss. 

3.  Given he's already 24 and a 60+ start guy, he's got room to grow, but his ceiling isn't nearly as high.  

The killer part about today - he made about 5 TO-worthy decisions, and he got burned on 2 of them.   Now, sure that can improve, but being smart and avoiding mistakes is part of Bo Nix's appeal in fitting the Payton system.   He doesn't have the tools or arm talent to try those throws. 

It's certainly too early to pass judgment after 1 game.  But when I said we needed to temper expectations, even I didn't think we'd see some of the mistakes Bo made today.  It doesn't damn him, but man, it had better improve quickly.    The cerebral / judgment part of his game is supposed to be the most polished - can't have that kind of decision-making like he showed today.  I worry that like most rookies, Bo also overestimates his abilities, hopefully today drives home his limitations to him in spades.

One other concern is how early he was started.  I listened to a clip from Belichick if he had any advice for Payton and how to handle Nix.  He said don’t start him until you’re 100% sure he’s ready because there’s no turning back.

Makes you appreciate how GB handles the QB situation.  I know it makes the veterans disgruntled and the rookies sit for awhile, but no team passes the torch better over decades worth of football. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

One other concern is how early he was started.  I listened to a clip from Belichick if he had any advice for Payton and how to handle Nix.  He said don’t start him until you’re 100% sure he’s ready because there’s no turning back.

Makes you appreciate how GB handles the QB situation.  I know it makes the veterans disgruntled and the rookies sit for awhile, but no team passes the torch better over decades worth of football. 

I have no illusions though that Jared Stidham would have been any better.    And for better or worse, Zach Wilson had exactly the same issues that Nix showed today when he was with NYJ.   With him being a FA at end of year, we can't go there this early. 

Once we picked Nix, it was almost a given he'd have to start.    Even with how bad it was today, there's no real way forward with Stidham.    If we hadn't gone with Nix, then it would likely be Wilson.   We shouldn't have any illusions it would go any differently today TBH. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I referenced that earlier. BB's take was almost verbatim what @lomaxgrUK posted a couple months earlier.

We can beat his performance to death but bottom line, he's not ready to play. My gosh, give him a clipboard and let the kid learn. Up until llast week he'd never been through an NFL game plan or seriously studied NFL film. Right now he hasn't got a chance. The defenses the next few weeks will be brutal and until he can open up downfield that won't change.  

He isn't learning now. He's just getting his confidence blown all to hell and costing his team games. That won't sit well, another thing @lomaxgrUK mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I have no illusions though that Jared Stidham would have been any better.    And for better or worse, Zach Wilson had exactly the same issues that Nix showed today when he was with NYJ.   With him being a FA at end of year, we can't go there this early. 

Once we picked Nix, it was almost a given he'd have to start.    Even with how bad it was today, there's no real way forward with Stidham.    If we hadn't gone with Nix, then it would likely be Wilson.   We shouldn't have any illusions it would go any differently today TBH. 

That’s not how I interpreted it.  We have 2 QBs on the roster that could’ve done what Nix did today.  Doesn’t mean Nix isn’t the future, but why not wait until he’s better prepared and more ready?

Now you can’t wait.  That’s BBs point.  You can’t sit him now.  You sit him and it’s over.