The Good the Bad the Loss

NickButera

Just now, Justwinning said:

I think it’s possible if they clean up the offense. He deserves to let the season play out. 

Why does he deserve it? For one good win driven almost entirely by emotions? What in AP's past indicates that he will be a good, long term solution here? He looked in over his head today. He better have those boys ready next week because the Ravens are going to be hungry and if we have another embarrassing loss this thing could get out of hand fast.

Good

• Despite multiple injuries they were all able to hold up pretty well when given adequate rest and regular field position

Bad

Where do I even start...

• A big problem is that a lot of the issues are structural. You going into a game with a shaky and injured offensive line so you're not gonna play like you do have a good office of line you're gonna play like you don't. That is why you don't go for it on fourth down especially on your side of the field. That's a basic problem
    • Then theres the fear afterwards that caused him to not go for it when you're supposed to(regardless if you get it alot 
  • It makes no sense to start Gardner Minshew and then tell him not to play like Gardner Minshew. Gardner Minshew is not a game manager+ it's been in the league for six years= you can't turn him into a game manager. If you're going to play him you have to let him be a gunslinger. If you wanna game manager play O'Connell

Ugly

• The Chargers are sorry team and they beat us which means that it's only going to get harder.
  • There is a realistic pathway to us trading Davante Adams and getting a top 5 draft pick
  • Like 4

Incredibly frustrating and stupid loss, but not one I'm ready to jump ship for.

1) Thought the play-calling/scheming was fine overall but had no chance with an offensive line that got manhandled. Multiple times Tucker, Bowers and Adams were open with no time for Minshew to get to them. Bosa and Mack are good players - they looked in 2016 form with what Miller and co. let them do. Hoping it's just rust from Miller because if he's washed it's a big problem. 

2) Minshew 'won' the job because he didn't turn the ball over. He pulled one of the worst I've ever seen today. Then Zeus decides to get in on the action. This team isn't built to give away points and field position. 

3) AP's decision-making was shaky. He chose to go for it early when he didn't need to and then refused when we had to. 

4) That brawl towards the end was embarrassing and where too much passion can bite. I'd rather that then no passion at all. I hope he nonetheless chews them out over it. Not concerned about it because his stretch last year was very disciplined. Week 1 emotions and the way the game went down was going to leave a bad taste on the defense. 

5) People can't have it both ways. Harbaugh can't be a great coach who outclasses AP when both teams were pretty equal for 90% of the game - despite Herbert being a FAR better QB than Minshew. We knew going in it'd be a defensive game where whoever made the least mistakes and got a few drives going would win. Both looked liked middle-of-the-pack teams who fought hard and whoever lost would be extra salty about it. Today was our turn but it didn't change my mind at all about this being a team who'll either win 7 or 9 games.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It makes no sense to start Gardner Minshew and then tell him not to play like Gardner Minshew. Gardner Minshew is not a game manager+ it's been in the league for six years= you can't turn him into a game manager. If you're going to play him you have to let him be a gunslinger. If you wanna game manager play O'Connell

Agree with this wholeheartedly, you’re basically taking away Minshew’s only real strength. Have to take the bad with the good with him, if you want to play low risk, ball control offence and rely on D then O’Connell is your man.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why does he deserve it? For one good win driven almost entirely by emotions? What in AP's past indicates that he will be a good, long term solution here? He looked in over his head today. He better have those boys ready next week because the Ravens are going to be hungry and if we have another embarrassing loss this thing could get out of hand fast.

He rallied the team from despair. 

I agree with the end of your post. He better have them ready because BAL is pissed off coming off a lackluster performance themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly, you’re basically taking away Minshew’s only real strength. Have to take the bad with the good with him, if you want to play low risk, ball control offence and rely on D then O’Connell is your man.

If you go back to the preseason game against the Vikings thread after seeing both quarterbacks play I said if you want to just run the office conservatively Aidan O'Connell is the better bet for that because Gardner Minshew isn't going to stay in the pocket comfortably and make throws. If you plan to play super stellar Defense and do you want to add some big playability with all of the weapons we have, Gardner the better bet for that. I thought when AP picked him that was the rationale. We're seeing the worst case scenario where they are trying to take Gardner Minshew and make him be AOC which makes no sense

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

So nobody going to talk about how bad Miller was out there. Our best olineman was a mess. 

Yea the O-Line especially Miller were bad. However, going against Khalil Mack and Bosa in Week 1. That can happen 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bowers is going to be a PROBLEM. If he was put in an O like the Rams, he'd break every rookie TE stat imo.

This. He was beating fools right and left on routes and has nobody who can get the ball to him. Going to be frustrating thinking what he could do with a decent QB. Second that on Adams.

• Like 2