Browns QB Deshaun Watson Has New Charges Brought From Alleged Oct. 2020 Assault

44 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I don’t care about the cap implications for the Browns. I do because I obviously want them to win, but that’s the secondary thing and my primary focus right now is a way for this guy not to be on the Browns anymore. I have been laser set on that since the day he arrived. It sucks that the collateral damage is possibly some of these really good players having their window wasted here in Cleveland. Watson is the ultimate Trojan horse. Our ownership is something else.

The sooner the Browns take this into their own hands and rip the bandaid off, the better. The better for the team and for the fans. To your point about collateral damage, the silver lining is that even with Watsons massive cap hit, they can still field a good roster with cheap veterans at QB like Winston and Brissett/Flacco before him--largely keeping the difference makers in place.

I dont think this completely implodes your roster, rather you will see a rejuvenated team once Watson is removed similar to last year. My only hope is that the team realizes he is a cancer to the entire organization from coaches/players/fans before the season is out of reach, as they don't deserve to be dealing with such ownership stupidity.

19 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The sooner the Browns take this into their own hands and rip the bandaid off, the better. The better for the team and for the fans. To your point about collateral damage, the silver lining is that even with Watsons massive cap hit, they can still field a good roster with cheap veterans at QB like Winston and Brissett/Flacco before him--largely keeping the difference makers in place.

I dont think this completely implodes your roster, rather you will see a rejuvenated team once Watson is removed similar to last year. My only hope is that the team realizes he is a cancer to the entire organization from coaches/players/fans before the season is out of reach, as they don't deserve to be dealing with such ownership stupidity.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-contract-can-browns-get-out-of-struggling-quarterbacks-record-deal-exploring-the-options/#:~:text=Because Watson's deal is fully,quarterback and save cap space.

If the Browns were to outright release Watson after 2024, per Over the Cap, they'd instantly lose $99.8 million, or roughly 36% of the entire projected 2025 salary cap. That cannot and will not happen. Even if they were to designate him a post-June 1 cut, the net loss would be $46 million -- also unfathomable. Barring a complete and total restructure on Watson's end (which seems highly unlikely, considering his representation specifically negotiated a fully guaranteed deal that even included workarounds for his 2022 suspension), the soonest the Browns could cut Watson without losing tens of millions is 2026, the final year of his deal.

As a Ravens fan i never signed off on ownership giving Earl Thomas a 3 year deal. So tbh after we cut him 1 year into the contract after that domestic situation that involved a threesome with his brother we shouldn’t have had those cap hits on our dead money the following years. Think of the fans.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Soko said:

Joe Thomas also came out and defended this.

True but Joe Thomas is also a total Browns homer obviously.  And yes one cannot guess what Bitonio meant or did he see him or not but based on the video his head is looking up and he is not on his stomach or rolling over, he is getting up and I would be surprised if he never saw Deshaun Watson.  One cannot see him because the ref is standing there but doubt he was totally unaware that was Watson wanting to help him up.

It would make more sense if he thought Deshaun Watson was a Dallas Cowboy player and did not get a good look at the jersey than for him to straight up not see him....  To me it was a clear slap away but really who cares.  Deep down I would not be shocked if a majority of Cleveland Browns players dislike Watson and some probably hate the dude.    

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-contract-can-browns-get-out-of-struggling-quarterbacks-record-deal-exploring-the-options/#:~:text=Because Watson's deal is fully,quarterback and save cap space.

If the Browns were to outright release Watson after 2024, per Over the Cap, they'd instantly lose $99.8 million, or roughly 36% of the entire projected 2025 salary cap. That cannot and will not happen. Even if they were to designate him a post-June 1 cut, the net loss would be $46 million -- also unfathomable. Barring a complete and total restructure on Watson's end (which seems highly unlikely, considering his representation specifically negotiated a fully guaranteed deal that even included workarounds for his 2022 suspension), the soonest the Browns could cut Watson without losing tens of millions is 2026, the final year of his deal.

So what you're saying is the browns can cut deshaun after this year and be fine? <- The Average browns fan who is praying for a miracle but miracles don't happen in cleveland.....Massages do.

7 minutes ago, Xmad said:

So what you're saying is the browns can cut deshaun after this year and be fine? <- The Average browns fan who is praying for a miracle but miracles don't happen in cleveland.....Massages do.

No, they can't cut him until 2026. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:
4 hours ago, jofos said:

They would be able to field a team just a low paid team. The other teams didn't hand out the contract so the bad press would be for the Browns. 

Bingo. Pretty much every single highly paid player is released (Myles Garrett Free Agency tour will be BONKERS!) and replaced with a practice squad player who is making league minimum. You'll likely have a team full rookies and UDFAs for two years while all the cap penalties subside.

Yeah, not how it works. If you cut one high salary guy which creates huge cap hits you think you can fix it by cutting other high salary guys?

The 2025 cuts that could save the Browns the most cap space:

Conklin: 11.6 million (happening anyway)
Pocic: 1.6 million
Jordan Hicks: 1.5 million
Emerson: 1.4 million (rookie deal)
Alex Wright: 1.4 million (rookie deal)

Everyone else 1.2 or less. Which means their replacement is just pennies different.

The reason they reworked Watson's deal was the get under the cap next year (multiple factors but they save like 45 million against the cap). Why did they go that route? It was the easiest way to get under the cap and the only way to move big money, otherwise they would have had to restructure several players and it still wouldn't have added up to that amount. 

So no, they absolutely cannot cut Watson without breaking salary cap rules and facing punishment. So they wouldn't. It makes much more sense to just pay him like the Texans did until his contract expires. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xmad said:

They happen in Texas. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It makes much more sense to just pay him like the Texans did until his contract expires. 

Sorry, I should have clarified on this - my scenario is exactly that, keep him inactive and take the escalating cap hits until his deal is done. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

They happen in Texas. 

And now the predator roams the streets of cleveland....

Seriously wonder how long before we get a media report of the pattern continuing in cleveland. 

Fr though the Browns are stuck with him until 2026 so good luck cleveland. 

"In a statement released Wednesday, Buzbee said he reached out to Watson's attorneys for months to resolve the matter privately."

That is nuts they could have just settled this, probably pay her a few million like the rest and have it never be brought to light and they decided not to....  Really curious about the video but it could be just security camera footage of Watson entering her apartment or something, still at least that is proof he was there potentially.

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not true.

They’re stuck with him til 2027 through the 2026 season.

Technically, we could do a post June 1 cut in 2026. It wouldn't save or cost anything different than him being on the roster. Still have the same dead cap in 2027.

That's going to depend on things, like if he gets in any trouble and how he is playing. The front office will keep him if he is playing decent and the off the field things have quieted. Hopefully they are just exhausted of him and choose that route though.

• Like 1