BDL 2024 Week 3: Rome Eternals @ Hungary Hippos

RedGold

Who wins?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Rome Eternals
    • Hungary Hippos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2024 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2024 Week  3

Match:  Rome Eternals @ Hungary Hippos

Away Owner:   @bcb1213

Home Owner:    @PR @Daniel

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Rome

QB Justin Herbert 
RB JK Dobbins
FB Alec Ingold
WR Jaylen Waddle 
TE Cade Ottom 
TE Dalton Kincaid
LT Bernhard Raimann
LG Cam Jurgens 
C Ethan Pocic 
RG Chris Lindstrom 
RT Lane Johnson 

RB Najee Harris 
RB DeAndre Swiift
WR Amari Cooper
TE Luke Musgrave 
WR Khalil Shakir 
WR Demarcus Robinson 
QB Sam Darnold
OT Terron Armstead

DE Jaelan Phillips 
UT Dalvin Tomlinson 
NT T’vomdre Sweat 
DE Matt Judon 
LB Eric Kendricks 
LB Nick Bolton 
CB Jamel Dean
CB DJ Reed 
CB Marlon Humphrey
FS  Andre Cisco 
SS Kyle Hamilton 

Edge Bryce Huff
Edge  George Karlaftis 
INT Calais Campbell 
INT Andrew Billings 
LB Alex Singleton
CB Ja’Quan McMillan 
CB Max Melton
S Tony Adams 

Hungary

QB - Jared Goff
RB - Rachaad White
WR - Deandre Hopkins
WR - Calvin Ridley

WR - Deontae Johnson
TE - Zach Ertz
LT - Tyron Smith
LG - Kevin Zeitler
C - Tyler Linderbaum
RG - Dominick Puni

RT - Taylor Moton 

QB - Geno Smith
RB - Austin Ekeler
RB - Blake Corum
RB - Eric Gray
WR - Adam Thielen
WR - Calvin Austin
TE - Daniel Bellinger
OL - Trent Brown

DE - Maxx Crosby
DT - Jarran Reed
DT - David Onyemata
DE - Will Anderson
LB - Logan Wilson
LB - Shaq Thompson
CB - Carlton Davis
CB - Quinyon Mitchell
NCB - Tre Brown
FS - Kevin Byard
SS - Harrison Smith

DE - Odafe Oweh
DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DT - Javon Kinlaw
CB - Riley Moss
CB - Roger McCreary
CB - Chamarri Conner
S - Malik Mustapha
S - Rodney Thomas

Edited by RedGold

Rome

\

Offense

This week we want to expose a flaw in the Hungary current roster due to some untimely injuries as their squad  has two linebackers healthy with no ability due to cap spending to fortify the unit and some interior defenders that struggle with the run we want to just plow them over early and often and make them the USC to our Michigan

JK Dobbins draws the start and he gets the slight majority of the work but we still are going to rotate our backs with Swift seeing third down work and Harris being the short yardage plunger.  We are going to run boring smash mouth football mostly up the middle on dives, counters, power o’s and zone runs behind ingold and our punishing offensive line.  We want to go on long drives and just take the will of this defense away.  Hungary generally likes to sit back in a zone so this strategy should be even more deadly

We can run this offense with a really good offensive line.  Raimann enters the starting lineup today with Armstead banged up a bit  and we think the right side of our line is especially strong run blocking so we want to get behind them early and often

Kincaid plays a valuable chess piece.  He has the ability to line up wide and in line.  If Hungary keeps two corners in the game, he stays inline more as we continue to ground and pound.  When Hungary is forced to adjust we will split him out wide to see if we can get Shaq Thompson or Kevin Byard one on one on the perimeter.  We also anticipate Davis being the lone corner left on the field so once the defense creeps up to stop the run, we are going to send Waddle on a streak straight past him and hit it off of play action.  Davis is a good corner but he’s not the quickest for his position, especially not with trying to keep up with Waddle all day.

While we generally will run a ton of power football, we will rotate some power I formation with two wr as well as some  two TE, 2 WR pistol looks

If we get into long situations, we are going to sub out the big boys and bring it to four wide to attack whichever Eagles corner Hungary decides to use as well as Tre Brown.  Waddle stays outside with Robinson also taking the top off on the opposite boundary.  This should leave Shakir, Cooper and Swift to work the intermediate portions of the field or if Hungary is playing majority zone, we go to trips on Waddles side and run some flood looks.

Defense

This week we run into a Hungary offense with a good QB, some questionable RB and some WR who are saddled in some of the worst passing games in the NFL.  

We caught a break this week with Mostert most likely  not playing as it takes away some big play capabilities in the running game for the Hippos.  Rashad White is a solid receiving weapon but his specialty on the ground is running into the back of his offensive lineman while he’s also been managing a groin injury all week.  Austin Ekeler is another good option out of the backfield receiving the football but he hasn’t shown much on the ground himself in recent years.

The strategy this week is to throw a bunch of different looks at Goff and to make sure to bring pressure up the middle as he is one of the least mobile QB in the BDL.  We will use our cover one/cover three look with Hamilton in the box to mask who we are blitzing and from which side.  However sometimes we will drop Hamilton back before the snap and play some man and cover two zone looks

On the outside Humphrey gets Ridley in coverage which will be a fun matchup.  Reed gets Johnson while Dean gets Hopkins or Thielan, whichever the Hippos throw out there this week with D-Hop not looking healthy yet this season.  McMillan gets the fourth CB duties against four wide and will grab Thielen.  Hamilton is going to be in charge of the RB out of the backfield with Kendricks or Bolton getting the TE depending on whichever side Ertz lines up on.  When we blitz from a man look, the LB that would generally play the middle zone would pick up the RB out of the backfield with Hamilton getting the TE in a LB blitz or the LB on the non TE Side getting White on a Hamilton blitz.  Cisco per usual gets centerfield to use his speed to make sure nothing gets deep.

We won't blitz from a man cover two look and just look to trust our corners in those looks to let the front four get home.  Zone blitz will vary obviously but we also want to bring a couple CB blitzes but sparingly just to keep them guessing

Up front, while the meat wall is listed as starters, Campbell will have a larger interior role as we expect a more pass happy offense from Hungary this week.  We as always will rotate our front four to make sure that everyone stays fresh.  We feel we will force Hungary into enough negative plays that will serve as drive killers for our strategy to be successful

Hungary

Offense:

Playbook WCO with layered concepts. 60/40 Pass run.

With Mostert on the shelf another week White and Ekeler will split the carries again. We will look to use the two backs to get the running game going. We will use our stout oline that is strong with run blocking to pave the edge and get the  backs out into the open field where they can use their speed. We will also have the backs in the screen game. Both are excellent pass catchers.

With Hopkins being eased back, he and Thielen will rotate at X. We will get both as well as Johnson and Ridley involved via the play action. We want to get the ball to their collective hands as frequently as possible. We feel our WRs have an advantage against their CB core. Humphrey has been burned multiple times these past few weeks. Dean is coming back from a knee injury so we don't know what to expect there. Look for trip sets quite frequently to mess with zone concepts.  Ridley will also be used in end around running plays because he is a playmaker that will be tough to cover.

Ertz will be the safety valve in the offense. We plan to have him run routes underneath to keep moving the chains. Bellinger will be used in two TE sets using their size to box out the defenders.

Defense:

Hungary’s defense will try to take advantage of a hobbled Herbert or backup QB situation against Rome, but must contend with a tough offensive line and a stout running game. Our D will stay in a 4-2-5 base formation, with the main focus of the front 6 being the run game, and forcing Rome to try and beat us with their backup QB’s arm. We will be running a Cover 3 single high.

DBs will play a lot of pressure man to jam up the passing game with the plan being making things take longer and helping our DL hit home. Oweh will be featured a bit more and will rotate in for Anderson to keep him fresh.

Harrison Smith will operate as our RB spy in the run game, playing closer to the box, with linebackers. Wilson will play the opposite role of our QB spy, and as usual, Shaq will be our TE coverage.

Edited by RedGold

Man, I actually really like Rome’s gameplan but I also feel like Hungary called their shot and hit it with expecting the run. Not having backup linebackers isn’t a non-factor, but a lot of backers play nearly all the snaps anyways IRL and bringing former LB Harrison Smith down into the box with a run-stopping Cover 3 is smart.

Offensively, I think both these teams struggle to get in the endzone. There isn’t much explosiveness in the Hungary skill corps, but Herbert couldn’t even finish the game this week and I do think they end up too one-dimensional against a solid Hungary DL.

I didn’t really expect to go Hungary here but I talked myself into it somehow, so here we are. Rome is still one of the more complete rosters in the league but needs a healthy Herbert.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Man, I actually really like Rome’s gameplan but I also feel like Hungary called their shot and hit it with expecting the run. Not having backup linebackers isn’t a non-factor, but a lot of backers play nearly all the snaps anyways IRL and bringing former LB Harrison Smith down into the box with a run-stopping Cover 3 is smart.

Offensively, I think both these teams struggle to get in the endzone. There isn’t much explosiveness in the Hungary skill corps, but Herbert couldn’t even finish the game this week and I do think they end up too one-dimensional against a solid Hungary DL.

I didn’t really expect to go Hungary here but I talked myself into it somehow, so here we are. Rome is still one of the more complete rosters in the league but needs a healthy Herbert.

Blue with a great point here and I feel similar. I thought a simple straightforward gameplan would get abused when I read Hungary's first. But, looking at what Rome is trying to do and run on a Hungary weakness runs into not only Hungary expecting that and committing Harrison Smith out of coverage and into that role to aid against the rushing attack, but we also have the issue for Rome that Hungary's top 2 edges are both really strong against the run (Crosby and Anderson Jr.) and I love them particularly in match-ups that become low scoring run based affairs.

I have my doubts on the potency of the Hungary offense, but in this match-up with Herbert banged up, I am gonna go Hungary in an ugly ugly fight.

Tough to decide here. I think the plan to load up against the run helps Hungary but feel like the personnel circumstance is legit. On the other side, I don’t think Hungary can establish a running game which puts a lot on Goff’s shoulder. 

I’m going Rome to sneak this out with an added caveat that Herbert getting injured would lead into a capable Sam Darnold having success.

Darnold irl prepared all offseason as a starter not to say he can’t come in and have success but I don’t think coming in this game would be the same. However Rome does have a QB friendly gameplan  with their running approach. Hungary’s receiving corps is starting to pop more even if it isn’t the same weeks they are starting to show more ability. It is a good game. I am going to come back to this one. I believe it’s my last one