Vent Thread... RIP 2017

The_Slamman

It sounds like Arians is ready to hang it up from what I've been reading. 

Also, how is it not in our best interest to consider a coaching change? How many more times do we need to falter in an important game before enough is enough? 

Feel like this is going to be a Jeff Fisher situation.

13 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

It sounds like Arians is ready to hang it up from what I've been reading. 

Also, how is it not in our best interest to consider a coaching change? How many more times do we need to falter in an important game before enough is enough? 

Feel like this is going to be a Jeff Fisher situation.

Have seen same regarding Arians. The rest of what you is absolutely deflating because I can see it being true. 

I want a new coaching staff so bad, more than anything.

I think with the right defensive coordinator we could see a lot more from our defense. We have spent numerous picks to improve but yet can ever generate turnovers. I would look at upgrading the 1 tech a veteran safety and linebackers then spend everything else on offense.

We have a passing coordinator as a play caller and a roster designed for the power run, right down to the LB looking QB we have. Scott Linehan is the WRONG GUY for THIS roster. I have been saying it for years. I said it last year when we were 13-3 and no one listened because we were 13-3. Scott Linehan is why we lost to the Packers last year. Not Arod. We should have never been down that big but Linehan frequently REFUSES to run the ball. And does so in the oddest times like 1st and goal, or with the lead in the 4th qt, or if the game is tied, or in the 2nd half ever, or in the 1st half.

If Linehan stays, then fine. But stop drafting OL, RBs, and blocking WRs. We need speed at WR, TE, and a QB that is good at PASSING the football. Not a read option back yard ball champion.

Instead of replacing our whole roster to fit Linehan how about replacing Linehan?

looks like a few of you are finally seeing the cracks that were present last year as well. 

Gimmie a guy that can call, and likes to call, run plays. And I guaran-damn-tee you our roster with Dak, Zeke, and a powerful OL will do better.

11 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I think Calvin Ridley would do wonders for this offense. Are you concerned about this age? Him being 23 years old already gives me cause to pause

I'm not too concerned if he's good. It's not like he'll be in his mid-late 20's. Just a year or two older than most guys in the draft.

50 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

We have a passing coordinator as a play caller and a roster designed for the power run, right down to the LB looking QB we have. Scott Linehan is the WRONG GUY for THIS roster. I have been saying it for years. I said it last year when we were 13-3 and no one listened because we were 13-3. Scott Linehan is why we lost to the Packers last year. Not Arod. We should have never been down that big but Linehan frequently REFUSES to run the ball. And does so in the oddest times like 1st and goal, or with the lead in the 4th qt, or if the game is tied, or in the 2nd half ever, or in the 1st half.

If Linehan stays, then fine. But stop drafting OL, RBs, and blocking WRs. We need speed at WR, TE, and a QB that is good at PASSING the football. Not a read option back yard ball champion.

Instead of replacing our whole roster to fit Linehan how about replacing Linehan?

looks like a few of you are finally seeing the cracks that were present last year as well. 

Gimmie a guy that can call, and likes to call, run plays. And I guaran-damn-tee you our roster with Dak, Zeke, and a powerful OL will do better.

I don't know. Linehan needs to go, but I think all of them do, so the point is moot. I do have a hard time pinning blame the GB game on him or that Dallas didn't run enough. They led the league in rushing attempts. Defense put Dallas in a 21-3 hole vs GB. You're kinda bound to passing at that point to play catch up. People want Dez to take over game and he was the Dez we all want in that game. 

Zeke got 2 carries on our first drive against GB.

• 1st and 10 at DAL 25

(15:00 - 1st) E.Elliott left tackle to DAL 27 for 2 yards (M.Burnett).

• 2nd and 8 at DAL 27

(14:24 - 1st) D.Prescott pass short right to T.Williams pushed ob at DAL 40 for 13 yards (M.Hyde). Pass complete off play action and roll right.

• 1st and 10 at DAL 40

(14:02 - 1st) E.Elliott left end to DAL 47 for 7 yards (C.Matthews).

• 2nd and 3 at DAL 47

(13:22 - 1st) D.Prescott pass short left to D.Bryant pushed ob at GB 40 for 13 yards (L.Gunter). Pass complete left sideline.

• 1st and 10 at GB 40

(12:57 - 1st) D.Prescott sacked at GB 46 for -6 yards (M.Hyde).

• 2nd and 16 at GB 46

(12:15 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short right to C.Beasley to GB 32 for 14 yards (M.Burnett; J.Peppers).

• 3rd and 2 at GB 32

(11:33 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass incomplete deep right to D.Bryant (L.Gunter). GB-L.Gunter was injured during the play. His return is Questionable. Pass incomplete on a "post" pattern.

• 4th and 2 at GB 32

We passed on 2nd and 3, Dak sacked on 1st and 10, shotgun on 3rd and 2. Zeke got 7 yards on 1st down and didn't see the ball again. We kicked a fg., and punted the next two drives as we went into full panick mode.

We came out throwing.

ARod went down and scored and Linehan panicked. He was WAY to quick to enter into a shootout with ARod. 

Games don't just "get" to 21-3. Things have to go wrong for that to happen. So instead of looking at what we were bound to do afterwards, look at what happened to get us there. Also that point is irrelevant seeing as how we started running MORE in the 2nd half after we were down, and we amazingly started doing better.

And I'm sorry but the defense isn't the reason we started the game with a field goal and two punts. Sure Arod was scoring, so don't you think it would have been wise to slow the game down? Zeke averaged nearly 6 yards a carry that game, but was used as a decoy most of the time. 

If you think Linehan called a great game then I and several people who get paid for their opinions respectfully disagree

From USA today, ESPN, scout.com, and SB Nation:

GB playoff game:

"The Dallas Cowboys lost their NFC Divisional Playoff game with the Green Bay Packers, 34-31, because, in the midst of playing a game some called an instant playoff classic, the Cowboys lost their identity."

Last week against Seattle:

"On what turned out to be the game’s most pivotal drive, Dallas moved down to the 3-yard line, setting up first-and-goal. At this point, the script should’ve been obvious — let Elliott punch it in and get back to a one-possession deficit. Even the home crowd could sense it coming, with “Zeke” chants raining down onto the field.

Unfortunately for them, Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan decided to get cute with the playcalling, and it turned into a disaster. Dak Prescott kept an option read that got only 1 yard. On the next play, a holding penalty pushed them back 10 yards, before Prescott ate a sack from Frank Clark."

GB playoff game:

"Take the first drive. Elliott ran twice on the first three plays for nine combined yards. The Cowboys didn’t turn back to him again that drive, in part due to a penalty. The second drive Elliott rushed four times for 21 yards but penalties again derailed the Cowboys.

So six carries for 30 yards on the first two drives. Even though the Cowboys were down 14-3 after the Packers’ second drive there was plenty of time for the Cowboys to turn to Elliott. The Packers were already ripe for the picking. Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers chose to go with five defensive backs as part of his base package, leaving the defense with just six linemen and linebackers. That put the Cowboys at an instant advantage with that offensive line and tight end Jason Witten. It was basically a one-on-one matchup.

But the Cowboys didn’t take advantage. It wasn’t just the overall play mix. It was how offensive coordinator Scott Linehan called the plays. On the successive three drives he chose to throw the football on first down all but one time. Elliott was one of the most effective backs on first down this season. His ability to gain more than five yards per carry on first down put the offense in great second- and third-down situations.

But Linehan, more often than not on first down Sunday, put the ball in the hands of rookie quarterback Dak Prescott. It’s not that Prescott wasn’t capable. It’s that for the vast majority of this season Prescott has played off Elliott’s success, not the other way around. And by turning to Prescott on first down Linehan turned away from the Cowboys’ best asset. He also forced Prescott to work in longer downs and distances.

It was, at times, baffling. Elliott ran the football for 22 yards the first time he touched it in the third quarter. He actually ran the ball more times in the second half (12) than the first half. But Elliott ran the ball on back-to-back downs just three times in the game. How did he do on those back-to-back carries? He had yardage combos of 11 yards, 26 yards and 20 yards."

Last week against Seattle:

"Shoot, with the season on the line, the Cowboys couldn’t even score a touchdown. Not even after lining up in the fourth quarter with first-and-goal from the 3-yard line.

That sequence provided the defining snapshot of Dallas’ frustration.

Smelling the goal line, the Cowboys never gave the ball to Elliott – their best player.

This was the situation they were waiting for. Yet on first down, Prescott was stuffed on a run-pass option after he looked to pass before tucking the ball away to run. On a second down incompletion, Jason Witten’s holding penalty moved them back 10 yards. On the do-over down, Prescott was sacked by Frank Clark, who barreled around Byron Bell, subbing for injured Pro Bowl tackle Tyron Smith. On third-and-goal from the 23, Prescott dumped a pass over the middle for Witten that went nowhere.

Then it rained boos."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWlWRAnFtOB7a5yO4ZGv8

Linehan likes to PASS. He is a former QB, QB coach, WR coach, passing game coordinator, who designed the Matt Stafford 5,000 yard passing seasons, and he is coaching a team designed around the running back! and NO ONE sees a problem with that? Despite repeated season defining mistakes that seems stereotypical for a guy with Linehans background to make?

USA today

"

The decision not to ride Elliott at the goal line will haunt O-coordinator Scott Linehan. Prescott tried to downplay the play-calling, but he was involved in the mess, too.

“I never question the offensive coordinator, especially when he is putting the ball in my hands,” Prescott said during his postgame news conference. “I’m not going to say, ‘Let’s run the ball. Take the ball out of my hands.’ I wasn’t surprised. I didn’t think about it until now.”

Cowboysnation.com

"Aaron Rodgers somehow managed to hold onto the ball on Jeff Heath’s sack; if that hit happened again, Rodgers likely fumbles. On Rodgers’ miracle pass to Jared Cook, he stayed in bounds by mere inches. On the game winning field goal made by Mason Crosby, he just snuck the ball in.

And yet it never should have come down to any of those minuscule measurements. The Cowboys allowed a great season to go to waste and missed another opportunity to make the Super Bowl go by the wayside. Poor clock management and questionable play calls allowed the Green Bay Packers to once again shatter the dreams of the Dallas Cowboys."

"But it didn’t need to come down to the last seconds either. The play calling made little sense at key moments. The Cowboys drafted three offensive linemen in the first round and used the fourth pick overall on a difference maker in the backfield, yet they played it cute in short down and distances. Why throw the ball on second and one or third and two whenEzekiel Elliott was gashing the Green Bay defense?

Scott Linehan had a rough day and deserves plenty of the blame tossed his way. You can’t lose a game when your star rookies and game breaking wide receiver have big days: Dak Prescott threw for 302 yards and three touchdowns, Elliott ran for 125 more and Dez Bryant was unstoppable with 132 yards and two touchdowns. Yet all we’ll remember are the odd play calls that left points on the field.

The Cowboys went away from the script that got them to 13-3 and it cost the Cowboys a shot at a Super Bowl."

Archived