Vent Thread... RIP 2017

The_Slamman

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:
But Linehan, more often than not on first down Sunday, put the ball in the hands of rookie quarterback Dak Prescott. It’s not that Prescott wasn’t capable. It’s that for the vast majority of this season Prescott has played off Elliott’s success, not the other way around. And by turning to Prescott on first down Linehan turned away from the Cowboys’ best asset. He also forced Prescott to work in longer downs and distances.

It was, at times, baffling. Elliott ran the football for 22 yards the first time he touched it in the third quarter. He actually ran the ball more times in the second half (12) than the first half. But Elliott ran the ball on back-to-back downs just three times in the game. How did he do on those back-to-back carries? He had yardage combos of 11 yards, 26 yards and 20 yards."

This is the point I made at the beginning of the thread... it’s become so predictable it’s not even funny.  No matter how effective the run game is going, it’s always second down in shotgun or insisting on passing the ball when the run is dominating.  Let’s go back to ATL before the game got out of hand.  Everybody remembers this game for all the sacks... so the online was awful, right?  Check this out...

• 1st and 10 at DAL 30

(8:12 - 3rd) A.Morris right tackle to DAL 44 for 14 yards (S.Weatherspoon).

• 1st and 10 at DAL 44

(7:35 - 3rd) A.Morris right end pushed ob at ATL 36 for 20 yards (R.Allen).

• 1st and 10 at ATL 36

(7:06 - 3rd) A.Morris left guard to ATL 34 for 2 yards (D.Poe).

• 2nd and 8 at ATL 34

(6:25 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short left to C.Beasley to ATL 28 for 6 yards (B.Poole).

• 3rd and 2 at ATL 28

(5:41 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott right end to ATL 23 for 5 yards (D.Campbell).

• 1st and 10 at ATL 23

(5:06 - 3rd) A.Morris right end pushed ob at ATL 12 for 11 yards (K.Neal; K.Ishmael).

• 1st and 10 at ATL 12

(4:34 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott sacked at ATL 19 for -7 yards (A.Clayborn).

• 2nd and 17 at ATL 19

(3:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) A.Morris right tackle to ATL 21 for -2 yards (D.Campbell).

• 3rd and 19 at ATL 21

(3:06 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short left to K.Smith to ATL 20 for 1 yard (D.Campbell).

• 4th and 18 at ATL 20

(2:29 - 3rd) M.Nugent 38 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Right Upright, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-C.Jones.

Here, we were running 3 TEs and absolutely dominating.  Before Linehan decided to pass on first down at the 12, Alfred Morris was averaging 12 YPC.  When something is working, why let the defense off the hook?  Linehan has reverted to becoming the OC that we all dreaded in JG.

13 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We have a passing coordinator as a play caller and a roster designed for the power run, right down to the LB looking QB we have. Scott Linehan is the WRONG GUY for THIS roster. I have been saying it for years. I said it last year when we were 13-3 and no one listened because we were 13-3. Scott Linehan is why we lost to the Packers last year. Not Arod. We should have never been down that big but Linehan frequently REFUSES to run the ball. And does so in the oddest times like 1st and goal, or with the lead in the 4th qt, or if the game is tied, or in the 2nd half ever, or in the 1st half.

If Linehan stays, then fine. But stop drafting OL, RBs, and blocking WRs. We need speed at WR, TE, and a QB that is good at PASSING the football. Not a read option back yard ball champion.

Instead of replacing our whole roster to fit Linehan how about replacing Linehan?

looks like a few of you are finally seeing the cracks that were present last year as well. 

Gimmie a guy that can call, and likes to call, run plays. And I guaran-damn-tee you our roster with Dak, Zeke, and a powerful OL will do better.

Linehan is most likely gone with Marinelli next year. The lingering question for me is will the offensive scheme change? 

Will the next offensive coordinator be able to install his own scheme or will he be forced to run Jason Garrett's system (Air Coryell) like Linehan was? Back when Garrett was the OC, we still had issues running the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

So here's a question - do we move on from Dez or T-Will? 

Wouldn't count on it. Have to draft someone and be prepared to move on from one or both in '19, though.

I think unimaginative route combos, bad coaching, and a lack of a seam threat at TE (sorry, Witten) stand to hurt Dak and our offense more than our WR play going forward. Dak is probably always going to be more comfortable throwing over the middle than outside the numbers, and yet we run all these curl/flat and corner route combinations that don't threaten the defense at multiple levels of the field and don't even entertain threatening teams down the seam, because this coaching staff thinks those throws are more dangerous- even though 5-10 yard sideline throws are MUCH likelier to be returned for a TD if intercepted than ones down the middle.

1514300447-DakChart.jpg?q=50&auto=format

This is Dak's throw chart from this past Sunday. It looks a lot like this most Sundays. Obviously the downfield pass offense is struggling, and teams know that. Put it on Dak or the WRs, both, whatever. Again- what I don't get is there's not more going on between the numbers in the 8-15 yard range (where, as you can see, Dak went 4/4). I really think they discourage those throws and that teams have recognized this and adjusted by playing more Cover 2/flat defenses that congest the short sideline areas and leave the intermediate middle open. That's not even Seattle's preferred style of defense and they did it to us- remember Witten was WIIIIIIIIIIDE open on Dak's pick-6. But, sure, that would've been a much more dangerous throw. Thanks, Jason and Scott.

So yeah, shoot this coaching staff to another dimension. We won't crap with them and everyone not named Jones knows it.

58 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

My offseason mock that I'm working on has us cutting T-Will this offseason. He can be easily replaced with a veteran WR like Robinson, Watkins or Adams in Free Agency. I also have Dez accepting a pay cut to stay in Dallas.  

1 hour ago, Desperado82 said:

I hope, both. Realistically I dont think any of them get cut. Garrett has a preference for his WRs. He likes bigger, good run blocking Wr's with average speed. Even if SL gets fired, doesnt matter who they bring in as an OC because they will be running Garrett's offense. 

10 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

This is the point I made at the beginning of the thread... it’s become so predictable it’s not even funny.  No matter how effective the run game is going, it’s always second down in shotgun or insisting on passing the ball when the run is dominating.  Let’s go back to ATL before the game got out of hand.  Everybody remembers this game for all the sacks... so the online was awful, right?  Check this out...

• 1st and 10 at DAL 30

(8:12 - 3rd) A.Morris right tackle to DAL 44 for 14 yards (S.Weatherspoon).

• 1st and 10 at DAL 44

(7:35 - 3rd) A.Morris right end pushed ob at ATL 36 for 20 yards (R.Allen).

• 1st and 10 at ATL 36

(7:06 - 3rd) A.Morris left guard to ATL 34 for 2 yards (D.Poe).

• 2nd and 8 at ATL 34

(6:25 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short left to C.Beasley to ATL 28 for 6 yards (B.Poole).

• 3rd and 2 at ATL 28

(5:41 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott right end to ATL 23 for 5 yards (D.Campbell).

• 1st and 10 at ATL 23

(5:06 - 3rd) A.Morris right end pushed ob at ATL 12 for 11 yards (K.Neal; K.Ishmael).

• 1st and 10 at ATL 12

(4:34 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott sacked at ATL 19 for -7 yards (A.Clayborn).

• 2nd and 17 at ATL 19

(3:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) A.Morris right tackle to ATL 21 for -2 yards (D.Campbell).

• 3rd and 19 at ATL 21

(3:06 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short left to K.Smith to ATL 20 for 1 yard (D.Campbell).

• 4th and 18 at ATL 20

(2:29 - 3rd) M.Nugent 38 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Right Upright, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-C.Jones.

Here, we were running 3 TEs and absolutely dominating.  Before Linehan decided to pass on first down at the 12, Alfred Morris was averaging 12 YPC.  When something is working, why let the defense off the hook?  Linehan has reverted to becoming the OC that we all dreaded in JG.

What's funny is I don't remember those big runs at all. I just remember sack sack sack sack sack sack sack sack.  Then once we started getting sacked what was our answer? More help to protect that side? More successful running plays to take the heat off? Nope...just sack sack sack sack sack sack sack

658.png

This was written in July. He predicted the drop off:

"Jason Garrett won the NFL Coach of the Year award last season, but former NFL executive Mike Lombardi isn’t sold the Dallas Cowboys head coach is going to survive the 2017 season.

Lombardi, a staffer on the New England Patriots Super Bowl XLIX championship team, is now a media member and ripped Garrett’s coaching ability in his podcast. He started by talking about a point I think is legitimate in questioning why hasn’t he been better in his tenure as the leader of America’s Team. His overall record is a winning one at 58-46, but he's only produced two winning seasons.

“Jason Garrett been a head coach for six years. He’s 50 years old. He’s going to be 51 next year. He should be in the prime of his head coaching career," Lombardi said. “Instead, he’s made two playoffs. I mean he goes 12-4. Then he goes 13-3 last year and he loses at home to a bad Green Bay defense.”

Lombardi, who’s last NFL job was as GM of the Cleveland Browns, wonders what Garrett does since he doesn’t call the plays.

“I don’t see Jason besides clapping and cheering players," he said. "Losing to Green Bay was a revealing loss in this sense. It showed that his team wasn’t ready to play and couldn’t play a different style.”

Let me take up for Garrett on that. He used to call plays when he took over, but owner Jerry Jones wanted him to give up the playcalling duties. Even former Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson said it would serve Garrett better to give up the playcalling.

Lombardi is spot on about the Green Bay playoff loss at JerryWorld. Dallas wasn't ready for that game despite have a bye as the top seed in the NFC playoffs. The Cowboys were down 21-3 in the second quarter before tying the game at 31 with 35 seconds to play.

The skewering of the Cowboys head coaching continued as Lombardi raised the point of the Jones family possibly tossing Garrett overboard for a former Cowboys assistant coach in 2018.

“If I’m a Cowboys fan, I have real questions about Jason Garrett as the head coach," Lombardi said. "He’s supposed to be in the prime, he’s had six years to be a head coach. He was an offensive guru that never had a lot of roo in his goo. He was never really never this innovator offensive guy."

Lombardi added that while the 2016 Cowboys were very good, he expects a dropoff in 2017. And if this year's team underachieves in the playoffs again, Garrett should watch his back."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Mike-Lombardi-Rips-Jason-Garretts-Coaching-Ability--434200303.html

So, after following several conversations this morning on Twitter, both Mike Fisher and Bryan Broaddus are in the belief that neither Linehan nor Marinelli will be leaving. They both are saying they will be back in Dallas for 2018. 

The only staff changes we will see are those with expiring contracts most likely. 

Personally I sure as hell hope they are both wrong!

53 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

So, after following several conversations this morning on Twitter, both Mike Fisher and Bryan Broaddus are in the belief that neither Linehan nor Marinelli will be leaving. They both are saying they will be back in Dallas for 2018. 

The only staff changes we will see are those with expiring contracts most likely. 

Personally I sure as hell hope they are both wrong!

Sigh.

18 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Here's to another 8-8 season!

Nah this was our down year. 12-4 then a down year. 13-3 then a down year. 

Based on this we should go 14-2 next year. Here's to losing at home in the divisional again!

Archived