How are those free agent signings performing?

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What are some notable signings your team made this past off season, and how have they been performing through 4 weeks?

Stefon Diggs has been a solid #2 WR behind Nico Collins - he's not making a lot happen down field but he's getting a lot of work done underneath. Has 3 TDs on the season - two receiving TDs and one rushing TD.

Joe Mixon was looking rejuvenated behind the Texans OL, but has been on the sidelines for the last two weeks following a hip drop tackle vs the Bears.

Cam Akers was brought in late to back up Mixon - Akers has a moment or two of excitement, then is relatively unseen. 

Danielle Hunter has a ton of pressures but only 1.5 sacks to his name. The entire DL looks like its underperforming since the Chicago games.

Denico Autry should be back after Week 6. 

Trent Brown, Geno Stone, and Zack Moss have been pretty underwhelming thus far. Brown has taken some ugly reps and is already on IR.  I've yet to Stone make a play and his poor athleticism shows up at times. Moss is a poor mans Joe Mixon. Chase Brown has been outplaying him and should carve out more of a role as the season progresses.

Vonn Bell has been okay - not as good as I remember him before Carolina. Sheldon Rankins has been mostly good, though he's missed the last two games. Mike Gesicki has been awesome. He's probably the best receiving threat we've had at TE since Tyler Eifert.

Overall, generally underwhelming. But I guess that's to be expected when you start 1-3.

49ers:

DeVondre Campbell - There's a reason he wasn't their first choice to sign. Dude is absolutely cooked. 

Yetur Gross Matos - Overpaid. You could probably do worse in terms of depth free agent signing, but he's mostly JAG. 

Leonard Floyd - Is a football player, I'm pretty sure. But thats all I can say for sure. Had a good game against the Pats, but what pass rusher doesn't? Absolutely ghosted in the Minnesota game and he hasn't been good. 

Isaac Yiadom, CB - Pretty consistently picked on in the first three games. Looks like he's losing his grip on the third CB role as he was outsnapped yesterday by rookie Renardo Green, so we may be seeing a changing of the guard there. 

Jordan Elliot, DT - Honestly, no complaints except that he got hurt. He's a rotational DT, does an okay job in that role.  He looked good in camp, and he's been fine when playing. Doesn't make a ton. It's fine. 

Eric Saubert, TE - Perfectly cromulent blocking TE 2. 

The list for Washington this past offseason was quite extensive: 

HB Austin Ekeler: looked really good before suffering a concussion in Week 3 (he missed Week 4 game). Unknown what his timetable for return is but he was sharing touches with Brian Robinson and was connecting for some big plays in the passing game. Through 3 games he only had 13 carries for 83 yards but 9 receptions for 121 yards (he's averaging 13.4 per reception which is quite high for a RB). 

LB Bobby Wagner: he wears the green dot on defense and leads the team with 38 tackles. But IMO he has looked sluggish at times and is a liability in coverage. So I'd say he's a positive in run defense and as a leadership role but is hurting the pass defense. He also leads the team with 5 TFL. 

QB Marcus Mariota: he's been on IR the entire season. 

TE Zach Ertz: he's 2nd on the team for receptions and yards with 15 receptions and 150 yards. He looks old and slow but he finds openings in the coverage. He doesn't get any YAC but he's a possession guy that is helping move the chains. 

EDGE Dante Fowler Jr: he plays a hybrid linebacker/DE role. He's a rotational player that has made minimal impact so far, 6 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 1 TFL. 

LB Frankie Luvu: He's one of our starting linebackers and paired with Wagner the two of them rarely come off of the field. He basically took Jamin Davis' job on the team as the linebacker who sometimes blitzes. He's 2nd on the team with 30 tackles, and has 0.5 sacks and no TFL. He's had good games and bad games so far IMO. I think he's still learning the defensive system. 

OC Tyler Biadasz: he starts at Center on a unit that seems much improved from last year. He helps the rookie QB call protections at the line. Not a heralded pickup in the offseason but seems like a good one. 

S Jeremy Chinn: he's the starter at SS and replaced fan favorite Kam Curl at that spot. He's a very different player from Curl, who was more versatile and could make more plays in coverage. Chinn is definitely an in-the-box type of Safety. He delivers some big hits at times and he made a clutch fumble recovery in the Giants game that helped us win that one. But he also allows some huge completions through the air. Its hard for me to judge whether he's been a net positive addition or not. 

DE Dorance Armstrong: he had been pretty quiet so far until he woke up with 1.5 sacks against Arizona this week. He now has 2 sacks for the year. Overall I would say he's probably been pretty average, but honestly as a guy who's getting his first real shot to be a full time starter I was hoping from more from him. Slightly disappointing so far. 

DE Clelin Ferrell: he was probably our best edge rusher on the team before getting hurt and missing the Arizona game. A pleasant surprise so far. He has 2 sacks so far. 

CB Michael Davis: seems like a complete disaster every time he steps on the field. I think he's been bench I don't think he played in Week 4 at all. 

OG Nick Allegretti: he starts at LG. He's made some dumb penalties but seems to hold up well in pass protection. So far he looks like a solid signing. 

CB Noah Igbinoghene: I think he's our #3 boundary CB right now with Benjamin St Juste and Forbes the starters outside, and rookie Mike Sainristil in the slot. Igbinoghene comes in and spells the guys outside. He's been hit or miss but probably more positives than negatives so far. Light years better than Mike Davis. He started outside when Forbes missed a game with a broken thumb. 

WR Olamide Zaccheaus: he's been solid. He has the second most receiving yards for a WR on our team behind McLaurin (although he's behind TE Ertz and HB Ekeler as well). Him, Noah Brown and Luke McCaffrey are all kind of #2 WR by committee. Overall a solid addition. Adding veteran route runners for the rookie QB to throw to was probably smart. 

WR Noah Brown: Same as Zaccheaus. 

We signed more than that but the rest are just depth with little to discuss. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

S Jaylin  Hawkins: Surprisingly not bad as a third safety. No world beating plays, but he’s been carrying his weight back there.

WR KJ Osborn: Mostly invisible, both that’s been the theme of NE WRs…

TE Austin Hooper: Decent #2 TE play. Had more in the tank than I expected.

RB Antonio Gibson: Pretty solid complement to Stevenson. Has some good straight line speed and is decent catching the ball. I like having him here.

OT Chuka Okorafor: Just lol. He abandoned the team after being horrific for 8 snaps.

QB Jacoby Brissett: Not as bad as his numbers reflect. Has shown way more maneuverability than I thought he had, and has generally been making smart plays. As many hits/sacks as he’s taken, the number could be double that if he wasn’t showing some savvy movement. His deep ball isn’t really there, although the OL isn’t giving him any time to really get that going in the first place. He’s not a “I’m happy with him” level starting QB, but he’s been exactly what he was advertised as: a smart veteran bridge QB. Again, the results and production clearly hasn’t been there, but for the most part it’s a clear difference from last year to this year as far as just not bottoming out. 

LB Sione Takitaki: PUP.

DL Armon Watts: Got beat out in camp, cut.

OL Nick Leverett: Basically forced into the backup center role, with second year player Jake Andrews hurt in the offseason. Hasn’t been pretty.

OL Michael Jordan: Not horrific as a backup guard, but has been forced into a lot of playing time with Sidy Sow out.

Mostly pretty meh results, as you could expect with 1-3.