Steelers plan to start Russell Wilson against Jets

Forge

10 hours ago, Geezy said:

Pitt must think they can win now. Because long term this doesnt make sense, Fields was playing good ball. Why not see if he can make strides and be the QBoTF? I just think that Fields is still a question mark going into the off-season when you can get that question out the way this year. I feel like Russ is more of a risk because if they start losing guys are going to put it on him. 

I'm just not sure what they've seen from Russ' two years in Denver that convinced them he gives them a better chance to win than Fields who has them at 4-2. Doing it during a week where you're playing a very high profile game in prime time against one of the best defenses in football is also a very interesting decision. If he plays poorly and/or they lose the game it will just look so bad on Tomlin's part.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Geezy said:

Pitt must think they can win now. Because long term this doesnt make sense, Fields was playing good ball. Why not see if he can make strides and be the QBoTF? 

Define "good ball", please.

I would rather just keep Fields in over washed up Russ, but people are really overrating how "good" Fields has been.   Guy is extremely inconsistent and the offense is stagnant more often than not.   Its not all on him, but he is often a big part of it with his struggles as a passer.

He is the best of a bad situation, but has shown very little in terms of being a long term starter in this league.

But again, Russ certainly isnt the solution to our problems, and I don't think this is the right time to make this move.

• Like 2

Older, completely washed, athleticism was a big part of his game but he turns 36 before the end of the year. He is divisive and alienating in locker rooms according to a lot of ex-teammates, a joke around the league with players even openly mocking him.

I'm not a big fan of Fields by any means, but as a GB fan I remember hearing frequently that he is at least a good guy and was generally liked by his teammates. Added to that he is just shy of a full decade younger, and while I don't think he is the long term answer there by any stretch, he was on pace for 3,100 yards (6.9ypa, and 66.3% accuracy), 14-15 TDs vs 3 INTs, and another 650 yards on the ground while hardly being surrounded by superstars at the skill positions (they're not awful there, but far from great). If anything, he could have even made some decent trade bait to move up or whatnot.

Maybe Tomlin gets Russ to rewind the clock by a few years, but otherwise this just seems like a bad move all around to me.

4 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Steelers offense currently ranked 23rd (DVOA).

My guess is that Tomlin hopes if he can get the offense to "average" with Russ, they'll be more of a contender given strong D and special teams so far.

Fields ability to run, extend plays, and create out of structure were the only things making their offense even semi functional. 

10 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Fields is horrible. They did this because they are sick of having to spend half their week gameplanning around a QB who can't  do basic things. 

I promise you he will look like a probowler compared to washed Russ. Russ will have a few "wow" plays down the field (although his accuracy is off on those now too!) and the rest will look truly putrid. 3 and outs all over the place unless the run game can bail him out.

7 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

I promise you he will look like a probowler compared to washed Russ. Russ will have a few "wow" plays down the field (although his accuracy is off on those now too!) and the rest will look truly putrid. 3 and outs all over the place unless the run game can bail him out.

Nobody is claiming Russ found the fountain of youth but the coaches can at least trust him to run the offense and not have to hold his hand like you have to with Fields.

• Like 1