2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

19 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

If we lose out on Cousins, then I think it should be Bridgewater > McCown > Bradford. I would sign one of those QBs to a one year deal. Non of them change the game plan come draft day. If a QB we like is there at 3 or 4, go get him. The reality is the Jets need 2 new QBs. As of now, we have Petty who needs to be cut. And we have Hack who is a 3rd string QB. 

Trade up for Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield at 4, sign as an example Bradford, and our QB situation looks much better. We can let our rookie QB sit for a year, while Bradford plays for a long-term contract. Bradford leaves and we let the rookie takeover. 

If Jets signed Bridgewater then Jets may trade down from 6th.  If it was McCown or Bradford, Jets would go for top qb.

On 01/01/2018 at 12:09 PM, Bobby816 said:

I think the franchise as a whole is one with gap QBs. We can’t start a McCown type guy next year. We need a big move. Sign Cousins, trade up for Rosen or draft a qb that falls to 6 and start them. I just for some reason see us drafting a QB at 6 and benching them all year. Bc that’s what the past has shown us. I have zero confidence in Bowles starting a young QB.

Sitting down did not hurt Eli Manning early on, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, et al. If we sit the guy we draft for a year, I'm fine with that. As long as we DEVELOP him, and as long as he is worth developing.

Having healthy competition would be a refreshing change. If we had a QB worth a damn this year, McCown would have been challenged all season for the job. Kinda like how Mahomes was hot on Smith's heels in KC. 

If McCown or someone similar is brought back, and he wins the job, it's not the end of the world. The kid we draft can learn a lot while not playing. That's if he actually has talent.

I still want Jackson first, then Mayfield, then maybe we go RB with Barkley and get the QB in Round 2. And I want to add at least one veteran, maybe two. 

21 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If Jets actually drafted 1st round qb then Bowles would start him because everybody in the organization will agree upon who they pick in 1st.

It would be pretty stupid not to start them if thats the route we go unless we sign a guy like Teddy or Smith something like that. I REALLY dont want to see McCown again. Hes a great guy, true warrior, but hes 39, always gets hurt and cant finish games, plus he'll never repeat what he did this year. Truth be told I would cut hack and have 3 new QBs here. 

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Sitting down did not hurt Eli Manning early on, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, et al. If we sit the guy we draft for a year, I'm fine with that. As long as we DEVELOP him, and as long as he is worth developing.

Exactly. People forget that arguably the best QB trio this century (Manning-Rivers-Roethlisberger) all went into their rookie seasons as backups. The aspect of developing QBs overtime is a lost art IMO... I'd be so pumped to be a Chiefs fan right now with Mahomes. Kid is going to be a stud.  

I think this administration does its best to shield off the media/fan pressure more than any Jets team I can remember, and in case we some haven't noticed they will err on the side of caution rather than forcing a player who is not ready into the lineup (see Petty, Hackenberg). 

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

If Jets signed Bridgewater then Jets may trade down from 6th.  If it was McCown or Bradford, Jets would go for top qb.

IDK. Bridgewater is not stopping me from drafting a QB (maybe I'll think twice before trading up). If Bridgewater turns out to be a franchise QB, then we can always trade the other QB. 

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

IDK. Bridgewater is not stopping me from drafting a QB (maybe I'll think twice before trading up). If Bridgewater turns out to be a franchise QB, then we can always trade the other QB. 

It certainly doesn't stop you from drafting qb. Just re-prioritize prospect value.  Eagles got Bradford (re-signed) and then traded for Wentz.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

It would be pretty stupid not to start them if thats the route we go unless we sign a guy like Teddy or Smith something like that. I REALLY dont want to see McCown again. Hes a great guy, true warrior, but hes 39, always gets hurt and cant finish games, plus he'll never repeat what he did this year. Truth be told I would cut hack and have 3 new QBs here. 

I expect 2 different qbs.

18 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

Leonard Williams fell into our laps, Jamal Adams sort of fell into our laps. Keeping that logic going, that means whose going to fall into our laps this year?

Josh Rosen could be a possibility due to his frail frame.  After NFL combine, a few prospects may make a huge jump into top 5 consideration.  Is that enough to push Barkley out of top 5? I would like to see that.

The more you think of the Giants situation the more I think they trade the pick away. While we have a city rival we aren’t in the same conference, so it’s not like trading a pick inside the division and getting burned on it. This is why I see it making so much sense. Most the pieces for the Giants are win now pieces, I think we all can agree on that. Yes it’s a mixture of youth and vets, but they’re a competing team. What the biggest thing wrong with the team? It’s not even a question that it’s oline and several spots on that OLine. With limited cap space getting big one FAs is gonna be hard. So that leaves the draft, where they as is hold 3 picks in the top 70 and 2 in the top 35. Can land some big time talent especially with those 1st 2 picks. Bc they have multiple holes on the OLine and some on defense I think a trade back makes perfect sense for them. Let’s say they trade back with us and get our 2nd and a 1st next year (right around the price). They could more than likely land Nelson at OG at 6 and then still have 2 picks in the top 6 of Round 2 to get a OT like Orlando Brown or something. Even more so they still could even add more olineman with 2 quality picks. 3 picks in the top 37 would make them able to fix their issue in 1 draft and set up a future QB or even Webb.

51 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

Leonard Williams fell into our laps, Jamal Adams sort of fell into our laps. Keeping that logic going, that means whose going to fall into our laps this year?

My guess is Barkley or Chubb.  I'm still on the fence on Barkley though.

Archived