2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m 100% I’m on getting him. But I have to see him cut 1st. I’m not for giving up any picks with any value to get him though.

I agree.  That is based upon him being a FA not a trade scenario.

Joyner is another guy that could hit the market if LA is dumb enough to franchise Watkins over him.  Lets hope they are.

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I agree.  That is based upon him being a FA not a trade scenario.

Joyner is another guy that could hit the market if LA is dumb enough to franchise Watkins over him.  Lets hope they are.

Joyner I’m not as excited about. Not the best in coverage. Inlybthtuved this last year bc he was strictly a FS really.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Joyner I’m not as excited about. Not the best in coverage. Inlybthtuved this last year bc he was strictly a FS really.

Looks like LA isn't that dumb after all.  Looks like they did the right thing by picking Joyner over Watkins.

If we do get Cousins that's great, and pick up 2 or 3 FA that will be a big help, but the key this year is our second & third round draft picks. This is where we have to improve. look at our second & third round picks the last four years, that is why we are is such a mess now.

2rd J. Amaro

3rd D. McDougle

2rd D Smith

3rd L Maudin

2rd C Hackenberg

3rd J Jenkins

2 rd M Maye     has been a huge help but we passed on Cook to get him

3rd Stewart  so far got very little out of him

We have the 6 overall pick in the draft plus the 37, 49 in the second round & the 72 in the third round. These picks are the key to our future, and can't  screwed up again. I am sick and tired of the Jets drafting projects this is the NFL not the minor leagues.

Lousy drafting is the reason we are not a competitive team. 

Here it is 2.00 am and I am thinking about the Jets draft history, by the end of this offseason I am going to need a psychologist.

FWIW, I have a feeling the Jets QB big board will look something like this... 

1. Sam Darnold 
  2. Josh Allen 
  3. Josh Rosen
  4. Baker Mayfield

Their top 6 Big Board?

1. Saquon Barkley 
  2. Sam Darnold 
  3. Bradley Chubb
  4. Josh Allen 
  5. Quenton Nelson 
  6. Josh Rosen
  • Barkley in tier 1
  • Darnold, Chubb tier 2
  • Allen, Nelson, Rosen tier 3

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

1. Sam Darnold 
  2. Josh Allen 
  3. Josh Rosen
  4. Baker Mayfield

Their top 6 Big Board?

1. Saquon Barkley 
  2. Sam Darnold 
  3. Bradley Chubb
  4. Josh Allen 
  5. Quenton Nelson 
  6. Josh Rosen
  • Barkley in tier 1
  • Darnold, Chubb tier 2

Don't agree with the board but could realistically see it...sigh

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

1. Sam Darnold 
  2. Josh Allen 
  3. Josh Rosen
  4. Baker Mayfield

Their top 6 Big Board?

1. Saquon Barkley 
  2. Sam Darnold 
  3. Bradley Chubb
  4. Josh Allen 
  5. Quenton Nelson 
  6. Josh Rosen
  • Barkley in tier 1
  • Darnold, Chubb tier 2

On your top 6 and QB I would switch Rosen and Mayfield. I think the Jets really like Mayfield and he would add a lot more entertainment to the QB position. 

My board would have Rosen as the 2nd QB. I’m not a fan of Mayfield’s attitude. Yeah it would be fun for a bit, but it’d take us back to being a Rex Ryan team. If Mayfield didn’t turn into a star, it would make things that much worse and we’d constantly be in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. 

I think Rosen is the safest bet on the field. I think Darnold is a bit of a risk, but with time/mentoring should develop into a good QB; he’s naturally accurate and is a playmaker. Allen is the most talented, and I think his ability to succeed will really come down to where he lands. Ironically, I think cleveland is the best fit for him. Mayfield would do well with the Broncos. On the field I see some hints of Teddy’s Bridgewater. 

47 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

1. Sam Darnold 
  2. Josh Allen 
  3. Josh Rosen
  4. Baker Mayfield

Their top 6 Big Board?

1. Saquon Barkley 
  2. Sam Darnold 
  3. Bradley Chubb
  4. Josh Allen 
  5. Quenton Nelson 
  6. Josh Rosen
  • Barkley in tier 1
  • Darnold, Chubb tier 2

I think your QB big board makes sense if you only factor in Macc's opinion. He seems to follow the Mike Mayock line of thinking (i.e, Big Stronger Better) and that's exactly Mayock's QB Big Board. 

The coaches though, we don't have much history to work with. But Bates talked about not turning the ball over as a big factor in a QB's success. Darnold has turnover concerns and Allen has accuracy issues. For those reasons, I don't see Bates favoring either of those QB's. Also, don't Rosen and Mayfield fit a WCO scheme better than the other two? I would think the coaches have something like Rosen > Mayfield > Darnold > Allen based on scheme and prior comments made by Bates on what he wants in a QB.

I have to imagine there's a lot of heated debates going internally. 

Archived