2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

11 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I would rather have Evans. Saving $2m isn't enough to make me want to start McCray

Evans has definitely lost something. Doesn't get to second level at all, works in a very small window. He doesnt get straight run over but he definitely needs to be upgraded. I don't want either one starting for us this year.. but I could live with both.

33 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Evans has definitely lost something. Doesn't get to second level at all, works in a very small window. He doesnt get straight run over but he definitely needs to be upgraded. I don't want either one starting for us this year.. but I could live with both.

Agreed. This may be one of those deals where we let a guy go a year early rather than too late.

4 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

It's just a shame that none of this that you just said is factual. 

evans-3.gif

GOOD-O-13_jones_run.gif

4.gif?w=1000

Evans graded out as our highest rated offensive lineman last year after Bakhtiari.  Wanting to improve on him is typical "I want something new."  He was a free agent, but now he is a free agent that has been with us for a year, so everybody wants something new.  And it's the least important position on offense, but still... You want something new. 

He was also one of our healthiest offensive linemen, missing only 2 games. 

And when it comes to McCray, do people not remember how BAD Lane Taylor was in his first few years?  Now we've got a guy who didn't lose us games and we don't want to bring him back? 

I just don't get this attitude.  The Packers have had the best payment to production ratio on the offensive for the past 8 years and people want to change that or suddenly invest more money into the position or more draft capital.  They literally want to take a strength, spend more on it (cap or draft capital) to turn it into a slightly better strength.  It is another example of people lacking in perspective.  You change things up on the offensive line and how you go about building the offensive line, and you're literally able to spend less on every other position.

So why, why, why would we spend more to upgrade a strength when we've had so many weaknesses over the years? 

Where is the inability to grasp this concept?  Where does it come from?  Are people relying on luck? 

Strong at the interior offensive line for 7-8 years with one strategy. 
-Let's change that strategy up.  Spend our highest draft pick in 8 years on a guard. 
What about our glaring holes at pass rusher (position that just put a sizable dagger into the Super Bowl)? 
-We'll get lucky in the later rounds.
Talent at pass rusher evaporates at an alarming rate as soon as you get out of the top 15. 
-Okay, we'll sign a free agent beforehand.
There is literally not a single good option at pass rusher in free agency when you're talking about needing a legitimate starting pass rusher who can stay healthy.
-Okay, we'll get lucky somehow. 

I'm not saying people are campaigning for Nelson or anything, but that's what it's like.  Sign a guard in free agency?  Okay, now we can't sign a tight end.  Which position has been worse for us the past 8 years? 

We just had a player perform at an admirable level with no indication that he couldn't do so again and people act like there's a simple and obvious upgrade available with no repercussions.  You get 53 players per year and you have X amount to spend on those 53 players.  Spending more on one player means you can spend less on the next.  This is very simple, basic, first grade level mathematics.  If I can spend 2 million dollars on an average player at the least important position on offense, probably a bottom three position out of 22 starting positions, and be able to spend more money or more draft capital on a more important position, I am going to do that thing I said, which makes more sense than spending more on a less-important position and be able to spend less on a more important position. 

It's maddening to me. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Evans graded out as our highest rated offensive lineman last year after Bakhtiari.  Wanting to improve on him is typical "I want something new."  He was a free agent, but now he is a free agent that has been with us for a year, so everybody wants something new.  And it's the least important position on offense, but still... You want something new. 

He was also one of our healthiest offensive linemen, missing only 2 games. 

And when it comes to McCray, do people not remember how BAD Lane Taylor was in his first few years?  Now we've got a guy who didn't lose us games and we don't want to bring him back? 

I just don't get this attitude.  The Packers have had the best payment to production ratio on the offensive for the past 8 years and people want to change that or suddenly invest more money into the position or more draft capital.  They literally want to take a strength, spend more on it (cap or draft capital) to turn it into a slightly better strength.  It is another example of people lacking in perspective.  You change things up on the offensive line and how you go about building the offensive line, and you're literally able to spend less on every other position.

So why, why, why would we spend more to upgrade a strength when we've had so many weaknesses over the years? 

Where is the inability to grasp this concept?  Where does it come from?  Are people relying on luck? 

Strong at the interior offensive line for 7-8 years with one strategy. 
-Let's change that strategy up.  Spend our highest draft pick in 8 years on a guard. 
What about our glaring holes at pass rusher (position that just put a sizable dagger into the Super Bowl)? 
-We'll get lucky in the later rounds.
Talent at pass rusher evaporates at an alarming rate as soon as you get out of the top 15. 
-Okay, we'll sign a free agent beforehand.
There is literally not a single good option at pass rusher in free agency when you're talking about needing a legitimate starting pass rusher who can stay healthy.
-Okay, we'll get lucky somehow. 

I'm not saying people are campaigning for Nelson or anything, but that's what it's like.  Sign a guard in free agency?  Okay, now we can't sign a tight end.  Which position has been worse for us the past 8 years? 

We just had a player perform at an admirable level with no indication that he couldn't do so again and people act like there's a simple and obvious upgrade available with no repercussions.  You get 53 players per year and you have X amount to spend on those 53 players.  Spending more on one player means you can spend less on the next.  This is very simple, basic, first grade level mathematics.  If I can spend 2 million dollars on an average player at the least important position on offense, probably a bottom three position out of 22 starting positions, and be able to spend more money or more draft capital on a more important position, I am going to do that thing I said, which makes more sense than spending more on a less-important position and be able to spend less on a more important position. 

It's maddening to me. 

If we draft a guard at #14 I'll personally go up to Gutey and kick him in the shin.  This is the time to get a pass rusher.  Teams hang onto their decent EDGE guys so any of them in FA are either getting long in the tooth and/or will cost too damn much. 

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If we draft a guard at #14 I'll personally go up to Gutey and kick him in the shin.  This is the time to get a pass rusher.  Teams hang onto their decent EDGE guys so any of them in FA are either getting long in the tooth and/or will cost too damn much. 

But, and it's a big BUT, drafting at #14 does not insure you get the pass rusher you're looking for and may NOT be the BPA.  When you get this far up in the order you should NOT draft for need.  You should have three or four possibles at that spot and take the most talent you can.  I know people don't want a WR or OG at 14, but if you stay true to your board (Gute) that may indeed be the pick.

I could live with Nelson at #14 and then maybe Ma'atafa(?) in the second round.

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Evans graded out as our highest rated offensive lineman last year after Bakhtiari.  . 

A few clips is nice... he is in the NFL and he will make some plays. Have you seen him swing out on a screen? I mean on that second clip he had all the leverage in the world. The guy doesn't have much left in the tank, that's why he needs to be upgraded.  He's a guard though so I said I could live with either one starting, you're making a bigger deal out of this than I am..

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

In this last clip why did Williams not take it outside to his left?

as an RB you want to follow OL's butts. TB's end has an outside position on Bakhtiari there, and Taylor is pushing the LB to the sideline as well. Linsley didn't get his reach block far enough or Taylor should have chipped in better before going to the next level.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

A few clips is nice... he is in the NFL and he will make some plays. Have you seen him swing out on a screen? I mean on that second clip he had all the leverage in the world. The guy doesn't have much left in the tank, that's why he needs to be upgraded.  He's a guard though so I said I could live with either one starting, you're making a bigger deal out of this than I am..

He was significantly better than you made him out to be.  Eat the L. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He was significantly better than you made him out to be.  Eat the L. 

You're right he still has some good power to his game but he doesn't move well either. I still would say there should be an investment in the draft, so my overall scope of the position hasn't changed.

38 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Also, I went back and watched the Bucs game, Greg Jennings is the worst.

Maybe even worse than that. He sucked real bad. He was trying too hard to get in the stuff he studied and prepared - but it just didn't fit with the play on the field. He also tried to use big words, words that he clearly doesn't understand -  and came off dumber than if he'd just be Gerg. I sincerely hope that's his final Packer broadcast ever. He can do 14 vike games instead.

As far as Jahri Evans goes, its the same for all players. He'll be a Packer until he can be replaced. And right now there isn't anybody ready to take his spot. So if he wants to be the Packers RG in 2018, he can prepare like a Champion and assume the position...meanwhile the Packers might use either their 3rd round comp or 4th round pick for another college OT -> Packers OG project ala Sitton/Lang.

Archived