2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

12 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Joyner is 2 years younger than Burnett with 4 years less experience.  He's missed two more games in the past four years than Burnett.  Joyner is five full inches shorter than Burnett.  Burnett has .5 more sacks and the same amount of interceptions as Joyner over the past 4 years. 

Joyner went three full seasons without an interception.  Then Wade Phillips became his defensive coordinator and he gets 3. 

All of that doesn't even account for the fact that you're not getting Joyner for Burnett's money, so why pay more money to go shorter with less experience and less production? 

Different is not synonymous with better. 

But you failed to mention that Joyner was miscast playing slot CB the 3 yrs prior to this season. He's a Safety and Wade had the foresight to play him there and he delivered the best coverage grade among all safeties per PFF (FWIW) and as many INTs as Burnett has had in the past 5 seasons. I'm willing to pay equal or more for the upside that Joyner presents over the steadiness of Burnett. We need playmakers on Defense, Burnett is not a playmaker. You pay premium for playmakers and Joyner showed more playmaking ability just this season than Burnett has his whole career. I like Burnett and hope we bring him back but I'm not in love with the thought of giving him $10 mill/year. I don't care about Joyner's height, he's the same size as Jim Leonhard, who flourished in Pettine's Defense for years.

On 1/24/2018 at 6:31 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

Exclusive rights free agent

thank you.

I also agree with the previous poster. House offers way too much value to let walk unless someone pays him Gilmore money...

IMO, we would let Burnett go to save money at the position, not because of performance.  I don't see the team letting him walk and then spending more money at the position on a free agent.  Gutekunst has to establish his own pattern, but he has worked under both Wolf and Thompson.  Burnett, IMO, looks like a player that TT wouldn't sign for that expensive third contract, which most non-stars become overpaid by the end of.

1 minute ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

IMO, we would let Burnett go to save money at the position, not because of performance.  I don't see the team letting him walk and then spending more money at the position on a free agent.  Gutekunst has to establish his own pattern, but he has worked under both Wolf and Thompson.  Burnett, IMO, looks like a player that TT wouldn't sign for that expensive third contract, which most non-stars become overpaid by the end of.

What do you think he'll ask for?

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

What do you think he'll ask for?

I have no clue.  Contract details and pre-combine draft scouting are things I am deficient in.  But I think it is pretty safe to say that Burnett is a good player.  His third contract should see a pay raise. IF I am reading it correctly, Burnett made 4.75 million last season, which would make him the 29th highest paid safety based on the 2018 contracts.  HaHa is already the 21st highest paid, and former Packer Micah Hyde is 16th.  Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice, and Marwin Evans are under contract in 2018 for a combined ~2.2 million, and they are all at least 5 years younger.  I think these guys are ready to take the next step, and the club can save some money. Disclaimer: I am a fan of Kentrell Brice.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/morgan-burnett-6579/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/safety/

I believe someone earlier said 8 million per season.  That would make him a top 15 paid safety for 2018.  I think the team can probably use that money in better ways, especially given the in house talent at his position.  

[edit]

The $10 million figure reported here puts him at #6 tied with Harrison Smith and Malcom Jenkins.  Also 400k less that Earl Thomas.  I understand that later contracts are going to be richer, but I think those are players that are a tier better than Burnett.

1 minute ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I have no clue.  Contract details and pre-combine draft scouting are things I am deficient in.  But I think it is pretty safe to say that Burnett is a good player.  His third contract should see a pay raise. IF I am reading it correctly, Burnett made 4.75 million last season, which would make him the 29th highest paid safety based on the 2018 contracts.  HaHa is already the 21st highest paid, and former Packer Micah Hyde is 16th.  Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice, and Marwin Evans are under contract in 2018 for a combined ~2.2 million, and they are all at least 5 years younger.  I think these guys are ready to take the next step, and the club can save some money. Disclaimer: I am a fan of Kentrell Brice.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/morgan-burnett-6579/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/safety/

I believe someone earlier said 8 million per season.  That would make him a top 15 paid safety for 2018.  I think the team can probably use that money in better ways, especially given the in house talent at his position.  

That's all fine and dandy, but I can't see us letting go of a great utility player who can step up to play dime CB if necessary. For the record, I too am a HUGE fan of Brice, especially after he stuffed Tevin Coleman on the 1 yard line a couple years ago...

1 minute ago, Joe said:

That's all fine and dandy, but I can't see us letting go of a great utility player who can step up to play dime CB if necessary. For the record, I too am a HUGE fan of Brice, especially after he stuffed Tevin Coleman on the 1 yard line a couple years ago...

I am a fan of Burnett as well.   But look at the stuff I was adding when you quoted... 10 million puts him at #6 for safeties.  I think he is a good player, but I don't think he is that good of a player.  That money can be used on a position with less in house talent.  Or if we just bring our own guys back, I would guess we could have Janis, DickRod, Jarhi Evans, Ahmad Brooks, and Davon House for a similar investment.

17 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I am a fan of Burnett as well.   But look at the stuff I was adding when you quoted... 10 million puts him at #6 for safeties.  I think he is a good player, but I don't think he is that good of a player.  That money can be used on a position with less in house talent.  Or if we just bring our own guys back, I would guess we could have Janis, DickRod, Jarhi Evans, Ahmad Brooks, and Davon House for a similar investment.

Josh Jones is the only guy currently on the roster that could fill Burnett's shoes IMO - and that doesnt include coverage skills. Not yet at least.

Brice is a good hitter - but I'm not impressed with his overall coverage skills and he's not a deadly tackler. So if Jones is gonna do the year 2 step up - good - cause if we let Burnett walk, we're gonna need it IMO.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Josh Jones is the only guy currently on the roster that could fill Burnett's shoes IMO - and that doesnt include coverage skills. Not yet at least.

Brice is a good hitter - but I'm not impressed with his overall coverage skills and he's not a deadly tackler. So if Jones is gonna do the year 2 step up - good - cause if we let Burnett walk, we're gonna need it IMO.

I think Jones and Brice will both improve.  The question will remain: how much? Of course, I also thought Jayrone Elliott would develop, so what do I know? 

It comes down to paying Burnett as much or more than Harrison Smith for me.  I just don't think Burnett is that good.

15 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

It comes down to paying Burnett as much or more than Harrison Smith for me.  I just don't think Burnett is that good.

But perhaps that just means that Burnett is getting a fair deal and Harrison Smith is criminally underpaid.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, pacman5252 said:

I'm done with Morgan Burnett. He is a goodplayer, but the guy can't stay healthy (hasn't played a whole season in 6 years, always on the injury  report). If you're going to be "The quarterback of the secondary" you need to be available. Especially this year, this team lost games just due to confusion in the secondary (see Josh Jones against Carolina giving up TDs being out of position). I'd rather us give the job to a young guy who's body isn't made of glass.

I really hate the made of glass argument.  Much is made of the injury thing with Burnett. I don't think its that big of a deal. I  looked at the next four safeties in free agency this year and they all have been injured. 

Lawrence Joyner played in all 16 in 1-4 seasons
Ricardo Allen played in all 16 in 1-3 seasons
Kenny Vaccaro played in all 16 in 1-5 seasons
Eric Reid played in all 16 in 2-5 seasons

Burnett has started every game he has played in in his career. He's missed some games but never missed an entire season. Football is a violent sport and guys get injured. About the only injury I can see holding against a player is multiple concussions because of the accumulative effect.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:34 PM, eyecatcher said:

I really hate the made of glass argument.  Much is made of the injury thing with Burnett. I don't think its that big of a deal. I  looked at the next four safeties in free agency this year and they all have been injured. 

Lawrence Joyner played in all 16 in 1-4 seasons
Ricardo Allen played in all 16 in 1-3 seasons
Kenny Vaccaro played in all 16 in 1-5 seasons
Eric Reid played in all 16 in 2-5 seasons

Burnett has started every game he has played in in his career. He's missed some games but never missed an entire season. Football is a violent sport and guys get injured. About the only injury I can see holding against a player is multiple concussions because of the accumulative effect.

He’s missed a quarter of the season 2 of the last 3 years. Last year he was on the injury report almost every week. I know injuries are part of the game but do you expect this to get better with age? There are multiple reports saying he’ll get   10+ a year. I like him but if that’s the price and with his recent history, I’d pass. 

8 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

He’s missed a quarter of the season 2 of the last 3 years. Last year he was on the injury report almost every week. I know injuries are part of the game but do you expect this to get better with age? There are multiple reports saying he’ll get   10+ a year. I like him but if that’s the price and with his recent history, I’d pass. 

I don't expect it to get better but that is far different than saying he is made of glass.  He could just as easily play in all 16 games next year and he could end up with a season ending injury in week 1.  It's a gamble with every player.  

1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

Someone I haven't seen a lot of talk about, Justin McCray. He's a ERFA in 2018... his play was pretty solid and versatile.

I'm half expecting him be starting next season at RG or RT depending on roster availability of Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, and Evans. Wouldn't shock me one bit to see McCray and Murphy starting on the right at G and T respectively and performing well. 

Archived