The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Except GGG didn't outbox him. That's the issue. GGG is a pressure fighter. He wanted to get Canelo on the ropes. Instead, Canelo fought the entire fight (except a very brief time in one round) from the middle of the ring, dictated the terms of the fight, and prevented GGG from fighting the way he wanted to fight. So yes, I'll score on power when that same guy dictated the fight and forced a pressure fighter to back up for 12 rounds. Roy Jones Jr. kept warning people throughout the fight that GGG was going to lose if he took it to a decision based on how Canelo was writing the story and fought the first half of the match.

Well, I disagree with how you saw it. But I do agree the rounds were close. I'm very surprised that that you gave 1 to GGG and 3 to Canelo, though. I had 1, 2, 4, and 5 going to Canelo, IIRC.

The biggest disagreement I had with the judges is both judges that gave the fight to Canelo did so by giving him round 12 and I just don't see how you can make the argument that he won round 12 in any way.

Edited by rob_shadows

Right decision, I had it 7-5 Alvarez. I can see Golovkin winning 7-5, but his late rally just made it close to me. I had Canelo winning 6-3 after 9 rounds as his body punching was the story of the fight. He was landing the better shots in majority of the round while Golovkin was being consistent with his jab. Seriously, was Canelo not landing the cleaner crisper shots? If Golovkin fought the entire fight like he did last few rounds, then he may have won. But that simply wasn't the case. 

Harold Lederman continues to score big fights wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The biggest disagreement I had with the judges is both judges that gave the fight to Canelo did so by giving him round 12 and I just don't see how you can make the argument that he won round 12 in any way.

I thought he did win Round 12.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right decision, I had it 7-5 Alvarez. I can see Golovkin winning 7-5, but his late rally just made it close to me. I had Canelo winning 6-3 after 9 rounds as his body punching was the story of the fight. He was landing the better shots in majority of the round while Golovkin was being consistent with his jab. Seriously, was Canelo not landing the cleaner crisper shots? If Golovkin fought the entire fight like he did last few rounds, then he may have won. But that simply wasn't the case. 

Harold Lederman continues to score big fights wrong.

I think that's the big issue. GGG looks better because he lands so many head shots and because of his jab. Canelo was killing him to the body, but I think those shots tend to get discounted with fans, while judges consider them much more significant than jabs.

And yeah, I was in disbelief seeing Lederman's scorecard. Roy Jones Jr. was implicitly crapping on it the entire fight. Even GGG's trainer said that they were losing when Lederman had him up by two or three rounds.

Edited by jrry32

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jermall Charlo is Canelo's mandatory. Lawd is that going to be a hell of a fight. Rolling with Charlo in that fight. 

What's funny to me is that Charlo is nicknamed "The Future of Boxing" but is actually older (by a month) than Alvarez. It feels like Alvarez is old, though, because he's been around so long.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What's funny to me is that Charlo is nicknamed "The Future of Boxing" but is actually older (by a month) than Alvarez. It feels like Alvarez is old, though, because he's been around so long.

Yeah, dude has been a professional since 15. Canelo is really good, but think Jermall Charlo unlike Golovkin will risk it earlier in the fight and go after Canelo. He will be going in there to knock Canelo out. Golovkin gives Canelo too much respect, a lot more respect than he gives other opponents. Granted, he also gave Jacobs respect but he was bigger than GGG by like 10 pounds on fight night. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, dude has been a professional since 15. Canelo is really good, but think Jermall Charlo unlike Golovkin will risk it earlier in the fight and go after Canelo. He will be going in there to knock Canelo out. Golovkin gives Canelo too much respect, a lot more respect than he gives other opponents. Granted, he also gave Jacobs respect but he was bigger than GGG by like 10 pounds on fight night. 

You think he can KO Alvarez? I've never seen Charlo fight, but after seeing Alvarez eat some monster GGG shots tonight and stay on his feet, that dude has a chin of steel.

Just now, jrry32 said:

You think he can KO Alvarez? I've never seen Charlo fight, but after seeing Alvarez eat some monster GGG shots tonight and stay on his feet, that dude has a chin of steel.

I don't know if he can KO Alvarez, but he won't be scared to throw heavy shots at him from the opening round. Just like Alvarez, Charlo has a granite chin himself. Charlo is great at throwing in the line of fire where I think Golovkin needs to set up to get his shots off. Canelo won't have the same advantage in that area against Charlo as he did against Golovkin.

You need to watch some of his fights. But more importantly his post fight interviews along with his brothers. Both are true goons lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I didn't see the first six rounds but if everyones scoring is correct, boxing continues to be the most rigged sport in the world. 

Boxing has so much potential but it's an absolute joke these days. 

Honestly, I was rooting for GGG (and I’m part Mexican) but I can’t be upset with  this result. I thought there were a lot of really close rounds. I need Canelo/GGG 3.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Boxing is so corrupt that it was a given there would be another. 

Canelo gets gifted some crazy scorecards, man. I'm still baffled by the 114-114 score vs TBE where Canelo hit the friggin ropes twice because he could touch Floyd lol.

Might’ve been the worst score I’ve ever seen....until Adelaide Bird in GGG/Canelo 1

• Like 1