The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Like I said while people in here had GGG through 7, Rafael had Canelo. And he has been outspoken about how bad judges are, so I doubt this one is a judging issue (only getting updates right now, going to have to find the fight later to watch)

Fans put too much stock in jabs. GGG has a nasty jab, but Canelo was better with the power shots. Fans also don't give body shots the credit judges do. Canelo dictated the fight and had GGG backing up for most of the night.

Just now, rob_shadows said:

Absolutely no way I agree with this, at worst for GGG I would have said it was a draw... No way Canelo won this fight... Obviously the powers that be wanted to set up a 3rd fight, will never convince me boxing isn't rigged.

Boxing is so rigged it's actuallt discussed in depth on main stream media quite a bit. And usually the word "rigged" in main stream media is a big no no. 

GGG won both of these fights (gotta watch the 2nd one myself), Pacquiao beat Joe Horn, not to mention countless of other bad decisions the past decade. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Boxing is so rigged it's actuallt discussed in depth on main stream media quite a bit. And usually the word "rigged" in main stream media is a big no no. 

GGG won both of these fights (gotta watch the 2nd one myself), Pacquiao beat Joe Horn, not to mention countless of other bad decisions the past decade. 

Never forget Timothy Bradley "beating" Pacman. Just another in a long line of evidence. 

Golden rule...never bet on boxing. 

• Like 1

Just now, rob_shadows said:

Unless you're betting on whether or not there will be a 3rd fight, there is no doubt it's going to happen.

Boxing is so corrupt that it was a given there would be another. 

Canelo gets gifted some crazy scorecards, man. I'm still baffled by the 114-114 score vs TBE where Canelo hit the friggin ropes twice because he could touch Floyd lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Exactly why they gave it to Canelo. To ensure the trilogy. GGG wins they see less need for it. 

This argument makes no sense at all. It was an amazing fight no matter which guy wins. Canelo is the big money draw. If GGG wants the biggest money fight, he does the trilogy even if he narrowly wins tonight. Canelo doesn't need the trilogy right now any more than GGG would have needed it if he won. Arguably, Canelo needs it less.

Edited by jrry32

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Telling stats (IIRC):

Canelo - 143 power punches landed

GGG - 116 power punches landed

Canelo - 46 power punches landed to the body

GGG - 6 power punches landed to the body

SO were scoring purely on power? GGG outboxed him. Power does matter but not 100%

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

SO were scoring purely on power? GGG outboxed him. Power does matter but not 100%

Except GGG didn't outbox him. That's the issue. GGG is a pressure fighter. He wanted to get Canelo on the ropes. Instead, Canelo fought the entire fight (except a very brief time in one round) from the middle of the ring, dictated the terms of the fight, and prevented GGG from fighting the way he wanted to fight. So yes, I'll score on power when that same guy dictated the fight and forced a pressure fighter to back up for 12 rounds. Roy Jones Jr. kept warning people throughout the fight that GGG was going to lose if he took it to a decision based on how Canelo was writing the story and fought the first half of the match.

16 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

2,3,5 for Canelo. Lots of rounds were close so I could see why some think he won. Not in my opinion though. 

Well, I disagree with how you saw it. But I do agree the rounds were close. I'm very surprised that that you gave 1 to GGG and 3 to Canelo, though. I had 1, 2, 4, and 5 going to Canelo, IIRC.

EDIT: On second thought, I might be confusing rounds 3 and 4.

Edited by jrry32