The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

You must not have seen Ramirez/Orozco Friday night. Pretty close, possibly better.

I was at the fight yesterday, hell of a scrap but Canelo/GGG was much more competitive and had more skill. Ramirez/Orozco was just a pure war. I prefer fights like Canelo/GGG but Ramirez/Orozco had more action. 

Canelo for sure in the past has gotten some suspect scorecards in his favor. But today was not one of those days. Cards were on point. 

• Like 2

Imo the issue is Canelo always getting the benefit of the doubt in these fights.

Was a great close fight.  Couple rounds it was clearly Canelo, couple rounds it was clearly GGG.  Although when GGG was in control it really looked like Canelo might be done.  Canelo never had GGG in any danger.  But a round is a round so either way if you score most of the close rounds to Canelo fine. 

But GGG being 0-1-1 in two fights he won feels wrong tbh.  In the context of being the sequel to round 1 this is a travesty.  As a stand alone fight it would be more defendable. 

• Like 1

It does feel wrong in the sense you would like this to be 1-1, but there was a case for a draw last fight as well. 

Golovkin in all his big fights just fights differently. Shows too much respect which makes it really close. I had him losing to Jacobs and Canelo yesterday 7-5, and had him beating Canelo first fight 7-5. We could also finally close the book of him being P4P #1. Clearly not the best fighter in the world or even close to one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

I had it 7-5 or 8-4 GGG. It’s clear as to why they gave the win to Canelo tho.

Not really the case here. The scorecards were all really good. Even GGG's trainer thought it was super close and had it a draw. He was telling GGG late in the fight that he was losing and needs a knockdown to win. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This argument makes no sense at all. It was an amazing fight no matter which guy wins. Canelo is the big money draw. If GGG wants the biggest money fight, he does the trilogy even if he narrowly wins tonight. Canelo doesn't need the trilogy right now any more than GGG would have needed it if he won. Arguably, Canelo needs it less.

It makes sense given all the drama from the first with the bag judging. Canelo has had a history of bias scoring. I mean one judge ruled the fight with Mayweather a DRAW. He didnt even win a round. The failed drug tests hurt Canelo as well. All factors in selling another fight. 3rd fight may have eventually happened if GGG won, but he looks elsewhere to defend first. Saunders, Charlo, etc.

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not really the case here. The scorecards were all really good. Even GGG's trainer thought it was super close and had it a draw. He was telling GGG late in the fight that he was losing and needs a knockdown to win. 

A draw wouldn’t have been totally wrong. But I just think there is no way Canelo should’ve won. Maybe his trainer was looking at it from the judge’s perspective 

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

A draw wouldn’t have been totally wrong. But I just think there is no way Canelo should’ve won. Maybe his trainer was looking at it from the judge’s perspective 

I honestly think Harold Lederman's scorecards are starting to manipulate the viewing public. He is terrible. He had it 6-3 GGG after 9 when it probably should have been 6-3 Canelo. GGG did well to close the gap but really it came down to how you scored the 12th round. 

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I honestly think Harold Lederman's scorecards are starting to manipulate the viewing public. He is terrible. He had it 6-3 GGG after 9 when it probably should have been 6-3 Canelo. GGG did well to close the gap but really it came down to how you scored the 12th round. 

I had it 6-3 or 5-4 after 9 for GGG.

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

I had it 6-3 or 5-4 after 9 for GGG.

See that's where we disagree big time. I just can't see him getting six rounds there. Sure the rounds were close but Canelo's body work was the story of the fight up until that point. He was landing the better shots. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

See that's where we disagree big time. I just can't see him getting six rounds there. Sure the rounds were close but Canelo's body work was the story of the fight up until that point. He was landing the better shots. 

Like I said, people don't credit the power shots to the body. GGG is a master at working the head, and that's flashy.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Like I said, people don't credit the power shots to the body. GGG is a master at working the head, and that's flashy.

Like how are you giving him six of the first nine rounds when Canelo is landing the better shots? Sure that power jab is good and all, but how about the body shots that would back GGG up every single time? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Like how are you giving him six of the first nine rounds when Canelo is landing the better shots? Sure that power jab is good and all, but how about the body shots that would back GGG up every single time? 

Yeah, I was shocked by GGG's late rally. I thought he was spent. RJJ was talking about how he looked like an old fighter from all the body shots. His rally was amazing.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I was shocked by GGG's late rally. I thought he was spent. RJJ was talking about how he looked like an old fighter from all the body shots. His rally was amazing.

Definitely, he showed his greatness there. Thought Canelo was going to start putting it on him and then boom, GGG has his best moments.