The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hey, I ain't fighting you here. I just want Wilder-Joshua.

I'm with you, that one is ending in a KO. But if the two camps want to drag this out then F them. Fury fought his a** off and him getting up after the 12th rd KD was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Dude was OUT and then all of a sudden rises up and takes the fight to Wilder. Legendary stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilder definitely can't load up as much on his shots in the rematch. Fury with another camp could possible get in even better shape, though as stamina looked good. 

It still makes no sense to me how Wilder is the lightest HW out there from the top guys yet punches so much harder than everyone else. Like how??? Dude landed maybe five flush shots on Fury all fight minus the jabs, and damn near every flush shot put him down. 

Guy is an absolute specimen....like myself B|

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilder definitely can't load up as much on his shots in the rematch. Fury with another camp could possible get in even better shape, though as stamina looked good. 

It still makes no sense to me how Wilder is the lightest HW out there from the top guys yet punches so much harder than everyone else. Like how??? Dude landed maybe five flush shots on Fury all fight minus the jabs, and damn near every flush shot put him down. 

Because Fury's built freakishly almost like a Lebron James where a lot of his mass comes in his chest and arms. And because he has long legs (even though they aren't super thick) he can just generate a lot of momentum and then smash you with power. 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I mean I've watched Wilder for quite awhile. He's been improving steadily and this was a giant leap in his game from a technical standpoint. 2 years ago and Fury walks away with this. Fury looked about as good as he's ever looked and Wilder still was able to be competitive and nearly scored a knock out. And he did start figuring out Fury later in the fight scoring two knock downs in the latter rounds. 

It's really not unreasonable to think that Wilder continues to improve his technique and comes in with more knowledge of Fury to land a few more crisper blows. 

I didn't say Wilder can't win, but easily? I'm not sure about that. Yes, Wilder has improved technically but he is still flawed and not close to as good of a boxer as Fury. And the gap isn't ever closing there.

I do agree if he loads up less on his shots he would have a much better chance of winning. I don't know why he was so amped up early on and swinging wildly. If he is more patient yet doesn't sit back as much he certainly can win. 

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

Eh, that's debatable. Let's say the card was 114-112 Wilder instead of 115-111. Would you be happy with the results?

I would have no problem if everyone scored the fight a draw.

I like Wilder. My favorite heavyweight post-Briggs. I got excited as hell when Fury went down.

What I have a problem with is that any time there’s a big fight like this and a completely bogus card needs to be there to save some big money, magically it’s there. Every time. There’s no accountability for this, and despite the fact that I don’t ever buy into conspiracy theories, I think the evidence is overwhelming that scorecard fixing happens. And when you get someone giving seven rounds to Wilder in that fight, it’s complete trash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Because Fury's built freakishly almost like a Lebron James where a lot of his mass comes in his chest and arms. And because he has long legs (even though they aren't super thick) he can just generate a lot of momentum and then smash you with power. 

I'm assuming you mean Wilder? 

Wilder definitely seems to have some Tommy Hearns in him there. Usually the biggest punchers in boxing have thick legs, but those two seem to be the anomaly. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

I would have no problem if everyone scored the fight a draw.

I like Wilder. My favorite heavyweight post-Briggs. I got excited as hell when Fury went down.

What I have a problem with is that any time there’s a big fight like this and a completely bogus card needs to be there to save some big money, magically it’s there. Every time. There’s no accountability for this, and despite the fact that I don’t ever buy into conspiracy theories, I think the evidence is overwhelming that scorecard fixing happens. And when you get someone giving seven rounds to Wilder in that fight, it’s complete trash.

iPwn, if you have no issue with that result, why does it matter if one card that got cancelled out was stupid? We still got a result that you accept. The result is right.

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

And Fury is built like Groot

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I didn't say Wilder can't win, but easily? I'm not sure about that. Yes, Wilder has improved technically but he is still flawed and not close to as good of a boxer as Fury. And the gap isn't ever closing there.

I do agree if he loads up less on his shots he would have a much better chance of winning. I don't know why he was so amped up early on and swinging wildly. If he is more patient yet doesn't sit back as much he certainly can win. 

Oh I wouldn't say easily. But the truth of the matter is that Fury fought flawlessly except on a like two or three occasions and one of them almost (and with another ref could have) cost him the fight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

And Fury is built like Groot

Well yes. So much of where your mass is distributed is part of being a successful fighter. Mayweather is built in a freaky way where his arms are big enough to cover a rather light torso and that's a big reason why he's so dangerous. He can counter easily but his mass is a small target

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

iPwn, if you have no issue with that result, why does it matter if one card that got cancelled out was stupid? We still got a result that you accept. The result is right.

Because nearly every time a stupid card gets used, it cancels out a good card. 

If Blake Bortles plays terribly and the Jaguars happen to win, should I not find fault in his terrible play?

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay this makes more sense. I was having a hard time figuring out how the hell they got that score in the first place lol. And this is exactly how I had it.  

if you look at the scorecard the dude adds it up to 112 on the scorecard but writes down 110 for whatever reason in the final score part

DtY_HgrXcAATIs4.jpg:large

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Because nearly every time a stupid card gets used, it cancels out a good card. 

If Blake Bortles plays terribly and the Jaguars happen to win, should I not find fault in his terrible play?

If the stupid card hadn't cancelled out the other card, we would have ended up with a result I like less. I'm good with it.