2018 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Dr LBC

Please use this thread for discussion of any and all rumored coaching fires and hires.  Once a new coach has actually been hired, please feel free to create a new thread for further discussion of that specific hire.

The moderators and I will do our best to keep this first post up-to-date.  If you feel we've missed anything, please feel free to tag me.

Fired (Reported):

Chuck Pagano (Colts)

Jack Del Rio (Raiders)

Jim Caldwell (Lions)

Bruce Arians (Cardinals; stepping down/retirement)

John Fox (Bears)

Mike Mularkey (Titans)

Dom Capers (Packers DC)

Dean Peas (Ravens; retired)

Edgar Bennett (Packers OC)

Darrell Bevell (Seahawks OC)

Kris Richard (Seahawks DC)

Mike Shula (Panthers OC)

Bob Sutton (Chiefs DC; retired)*

John Morton (Jets OC)

Todd Haley (Steelers OC)

* Maybe not?

Safe (Reported):

Todd Bowles (Jets; extended)

Jay Gruden (Redskins)

Dirk Koetter (Buccaneers)

Hue Jackson (Browns)

Bill O'Brien (Texans)

Vance Joseph (Broncos)

Marvin Lewis (Bengals)

Hired:

Jon Gruden (Raiders) - Greg Olson (Raiders OC) - Paul Guenther (Raiders DC) - Rich Bisaccia (Raiders STC) - Tom Cable (Raiders OL)

Matt Nagy (Bears) - Mark Helfrich (Bears OC) - Vic Fangio (Bears DC) - Chris Tabor (Bears STC)

Mike Vrabel (Titans) - Matt LaFleur (Titans OC) - Dean Pees (Titans DC) - Craig Aukerman (Titans STC)

Steve Wilks (Cardinals) - Mike McCoy (Cardinals OC) - Al Holcomb (Cardinals DC) - Jeff Rodgers (Cardinals STC)

Pat Shurmur (Giants) - Mike Shula (Giants OC) - James Bettcher (Giants DC) - Thomas McGaughey (Giants STC)

Matt Patricia (Lions) - Paul Pasqualoni (Lions DC)

Frank Reich (Colts) - Nick Sirianni (Colts OC) - Matt Eberflus (Colts DC)

Dowell Loggains (Dolphins OC)

Joe Philbin (Packers OC) - Mike Pettine (Packers DC)

Gus Bradley (Chargers DC - re-hired; contract had expired)

Teryl Austin (Bengals DC)

Brian Schottenheimer (Seahawks OC) - Ken Norton Jr. (Seahawks DC)

Brian Daboll (Bills OC)

Norv Turner (Panthers OC) - Eric Washington (Panthers DC) - Chase Blackburn (Panthers STC)

Don Martindale (Ravens DC)

Randy Fichtner (Steelers OC)

Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

Jeremy Bates (Jets OC)

Todd Haley (Browns OC) - Amos Jones (Browns STC)

Tom McMahon (Broncos STC)

Keith O'Quinn (Cowboys STC)

John DeFilippo (Vikings OC)

Mike Groh (Eagles OC)

-------------------------------

As a reminder for this time of year, please post links whenever available and be mindful of faux/impostor accounts (i.e. check the Twitter handle before posting, especially if the source isn't Twitter verified).

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Is Gruden the most over-rated potential hire in the history of NCAA and NFL football?

He's was a head coach for 11 seasons. He had a .500+ record in 6 of the 11 and only made the playoffs in 5 of the 11. He also only hit double digit wins in 4 of his 11 seasons.  He inherited a team built by Dungy that won the Super Bowl in his first season. Even including the Super Bowl win in 2002, he's 5-4 in the playoffs.

I just don't get it......

7 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Is Gruden the most over-rated potential hire in the history of NCAA and NFL football?

He's was a head coach for 11 seasons. He had a .500+ record in 6 of the 11 and only made the playoffs in 5 of the 11. He also only hit double digit wins in 4 of his 11 seasons.  He inherited a team built by Dungy that won the Super Bowl in his first season. Even including the Super Bowl win in 2002, he's 5-4 in the playoffs.

I still think he's a top 32 HC so of course there will be interest. While Gruden won a super bowl with Dungy's Bucs, don't forget, he had a great team in Oakland.

5-4 in the playoffs and 1 SB win, many owners would be happy with that.

I'd take him over Del Rio. 

4 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Is he overrated?  Yes, largely because he has a track record of being stubborn and not really ever adapting.  However, most overrated?  I have trouble fixing that label to him when he's shown a proven track record of identifying quality assistants who have gone on to make their own marks.  He's a quality coach, but he's a crappy GM/Player Personnel guy, so he absolutely has to be paired with an established GM who has bona fides of his own (that give him job security that isn't necessarily tied to Gruden).  Gruden is like a millionaire's Bruce Arians to me: Great X's and O's, player and staff development guy, and a leader of men... but he's hamstrung by thinking he knows more about scouting than he really does.

Green Bay Packers: Mike McCarthy heads into a contract year, and there is no doubt Green Bay's focus will be on locking him up. There are bigger questions around him. On the football side, where change has always been at a minimum, there are real questions about whether 67-year-old Dom Capers will retire or be asked to retire. This could be the year. If that happens, keep an eye on Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, who is a free agent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900059/article/whos-safe-whos-out-nfc-coaches-on-hot-seat

At this point, it's speculation but this Ian Rappaport isn't the first person to make this link.  Tom Silverstein of USA Today is speculating similarly.

Archived